Advice needed (lunch program)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soundblaster1, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    So my school is apparently adding a debit system (think college meal plans) with a required PIN... Ok fine. The only problem is- those that pay with cash (read: most people... It's a high school... prepaid hardly happens) also need to use the PIN.

Doesn't that invade some kind of privacy? It's made me (and a few of my friends) mad enough to challenge the lunch program and have the PIN removed from cash users. Parents are also granted access to a list of things their child has eaten.

For the sake of discussion, it's called the POS system. I kid you not. I almost shit myself laughing, and then read the cash users need a PIN... Not cool.

The proposed solution- Bring exact change, when asked for PIN put exact change down and walk away. I'm not sure how that will fly... The lunch service peoples (what is the 'politically correct' term for lunch lady?) are pretty stupid and by the book.

Reasoning- They jacked up ALL prices by as much as 50% (after saying "We made money for the first time last year. We will not raise prices"). And they are pocketing that money because they have a monopoly on selling hot lunches at school. Now they're making CASH trackable.

Thanks for reading my rant. I'd post a name/number to call and bitch at, but 1. I don't have one, and 2. Isn't there a rule about posting personal information of others? So do I even have a leg to stand on? I'll quote the paper tomorrow if this is still alive, but it pretty much says "we're trying to make things more like the real world/college, but parents can see everything you've eaten anyway."

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Skip school during lunch and go feel up a cheerleader instead.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'd liken that to when cashiers ask for my phone number, and not in the good way. I just tell them "Sorry, I don't give that out". They are still more than eager to sell me stuff.

It does sound a bit like privacy invasion. If you can't get around it, just give them a fake number, or give them the number of that kid you hate.

You could also start a revolt and get everyone to refuse giving their numbers. High school kids always seem to love defying the system, it shouldn't be too hard.

POS = Point Of Sale. Piece Of Shit works equally well.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  4. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    They have a photo stored with the PIN. And a revolt can't be too hard with friends in administration, can it?

5. honestgabe

honestgabe I

yeah, Foster has the right idea. Either that, or toke up with the stoner kids and steal Tastykakes or Lil Debbie's

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    mmmmm. Tastycakes butterscotch krumpets!

Just call me Maniac McGee!

7. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

I support just putting the money down and walking away.

8. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    So has everyone I've talked to. It seems like that's what will be done.

The whole system will be integrated on November 6. When this thread is long dead I'll zombify it to let y'all know how it went.

9. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

You are a child. You have no expectation of privacy in a Public school. Especially FROM the school itself.

Problems with CASH:

*Many lunchroom workers are low-paid and they probably have problems with theft. PIN system removes CASH from the lunchroom and puts it in the hands of the Financial secretary and secure.

*Many schools have Kids who steal and in a hectic cafeteria, cash in registers is a problem too.

*Many kids are on FREE and REDUCED lunch. PIN allows kids who may not be able to afford lunch to get food in a way that is confidential and UNABLE TO BE DISTINGUISHED from other students. So if I am poor and getting my lunch via PIN, no one knows. if I have to pay with a stamp or my name is on a special list, everyone knows.

*Elementary Schools should not handle cash. Having this system at all levels allows a standard system for all kids to get lunch. Many kids in elementary school have to 'BORROW' lunch money as they forgot or lose it. Not in the PIN system.

*In the real world, everyone uses credit cards anyways. Try buying lunch in my downtown area with cash.

I have been through this system as a student and I have worked at all 3 levels of public education. The solution is FAIR, ELEGANT and SOLVES LOTS OF PROBLEMS and above all ETHICAL. There is no PRIVACY issues about it. You are just spoiled High school brats who are looking to rebel against the system. We all did that. I was the same way. Doesn't make you right.

If you do what you are proposing, you deserve any punishment you are given as you are basically STEALING. There is nothing wrong with removing cash from the cafeteria. Don't get any dilusions that you are a freedom fighter or standing up for civil rights. You are not.

What's the big friggin deal? Take your 20$, put it in the account, and buy lunch with a PIN? Who cares? is it really that big a deal for you to take personal responsibility? Why should they make things harder on the whole school district so you can pay with cash?

10. nkelsch

The difference is a Store is a Store. A School is not a store and not equipped to handle cash. And Kids + Cash + School = Trouble. I am sure it may not be an issue at his school but theft of lunch money is a real issue in many economically impacted schools.

Stores are doing it for marketing. Schools are doing it for security, for the free and reduced lunch program and to standardize across the system to get a grasp on how much food is needed. They are not out for profits, they are providing government mandated way for kids to get fed and to do it with the least amount of issues possible.

This protects the kids, protects the schools and is a successful system which almost all schools will be at eventually.

This is the same kind of attitude from kids rebelling against school uniforms... Kids who have no real control over their lives are looking for a pointless thing to push back against so they can feel oppressed.

11. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Also, if that doesnt float your boat, either go home for lunch, or bring some with you. If I've got a long day, I know it will be cheaper to make some sandwhiches before I leave and take them with me.

Neither of those good for you? Take a walk to the nearest town/city/shopping area, buy some lunch there and head back when you finish.

That said, I have no idea how US High schools function, I'm just going from experience.

I never got the big deal with the school cafeteria's being 'the place' in Highschools. I just found them too loud to hold a decent conversation over, oh well.

EDIT: Also, I never got the whole 'uniforms = bad' thing. But most of the kids in my year wouldnt dream of going into town during lunch whilst wearing it, for fear someone sees you. I'm sure it truly is a disaster if somebody sees that you go to school. I was fine with it, It didnt bother me, but then again, I've never really been down with fashion.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Got eat a burger king insted.

13. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I see what you are saying, but having to give a pin number when paying with cash still makes no sense. If they don't want to deal with cash, they shouldn't accept it, period.

How is giving them exact change, but no pin number stealing exactly?

14. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Or you could bring your own lunch?

15. nkelsch

If the program does the following:

Benefits:
    *Prevents theft of money by employees
    *Prevents theft of money by students
    *Prevents younger kids from carrying cash making them a target for crime
    *Prevents kids from going without food due to losing cash
    *Enables kids to receive Free and reduced lunch in a confidential manner
    *Allows the school to more economically and reliably appropriate food resources at all schools

Drawbacks:
    *Inconveniences lazy high school kids who are too lazy to maintain a positive balance in their "POS" bank account and think this a violation of their privacy because the school is now tracking if they buy 2 cookies at lunch instead of 1.

Sounds like the system is good to me.

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't think the personal attacks are necessary. Yeesh.

17. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    SOMEBODY sure loves the system.

That still doesn't answer my questions, though. If they want to cut cash out, why accept it and require a PIN? How is it stealing if they pay but don't give a PIN?

18. nkelsch

Uniforms have been universally been shown to be a POSITIVE thing in every situation.

It also breaks down many of the horrible social problems that occur in school which increase violence and impact education.

It is a sad fact that kids are stupid and cruel and will not associate with another child because his shirt is old or his shoes are not new. Uniforms breaks down a huge amount of barriers that are created and very positive.

Again, it is only spoiled kids with parents itching to sue that make it an issue. Most kids here wear uniforms in public with no problems. Lots of kids take pride int heir school and uniforms are no different than wearing school colors on game day.

19. nkelsch

The way I have seen these systems work is you cannot give money to the lunch lady. She is unable to take your cash. She doesn't have a cash drawer so giving her cash is actually causing more of a problem. Therefore you have not paid for the item. Giving her 85 cents is no different than giving the principal 85cents or throwing 85 cents in the garbage.

If your 85 cents did not go into the computer system through the appropriate person, it was not paid for.

usually this means you go to the financial secretary and pay her, it is added to your account and you then go to the cafeteria.

Some schools have a transition period allowing you to put that 85 cents in your account IN THE LUNCH LINE but eventually it will be phased out.

So just because you feel you have paid the lunch lady, if she can't take your money, then you haven't paid.

You can't go to Home Depot and give the orange apron guy a dollar and walk out fo the store with a lightbulb and 'claim' to have paid. Now they have to go to the finacial secretary or WHEREVER and pay there.

20. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    IF they are going to phase out cash entirely, I see what you're saying.

However, as long as the lunch lady WILL accept cash, I can't see leaving exact change as stealing - the computer system likely has a workaround for selling to people without PIN numbers.

Unless you designed this particular school's system yourself, you cannot refute that with "IT'S LIKE THROWING MONEY AWAY AND THEFT!!!!!"