Customs: Advice needed for iGear Coneheads

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Dr.Arkeville, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Dr.Arkeville

Dr.Arkeville Mad Scientist

Hi radicons!

Apoligies if its been discussed but I am getting the 3 iGear masterpiece coneheads and will be looking to paint the nosecones on each to match more closely the g1 counterparts. My question is has anyone done it yet and if so what color and finish did you go with to best fit the rest of the toy. I do not have access to an airbrush so exact color matching is out, ill just be using a good old spray can.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

You could always prime the cones, and brush paint over them. If you use a solid primer (Krylon Camo is my recommendation), then the brushed paint will go on smooth. Because of this, you can make a custom paint mix to go on top of the primer.

3. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Check the Ramjet feedback thread, Optimus Timelord did it and I did with Ramjet - he swapped an MP skywarp cone, I painted mine with Tamiya TS-14 and a flattened future polish. I need to get better pictures of mine, since I just snapped it with my phone.

4. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

That's right :) 

I've just done the exact same thing for Thrust and Dirge (man it really makes all the difference to their alt modes). I guess not everybody has spare Skywarp nosecones lying around though! But it should be pretty easy to spray the conehead parts with Tamiya or Humbrol type black spray cans.

You probably don't need to muck around with primer - darker paints tend to spray straight onto plastic with no problems.

5. Dr.Arkeville

Dr.Arkeville Mad Scientist

I cant thank everyone enough for your suggestions. I look forward to diving into this as soon as I get them. Feel free to hijack my thread with any other tips and pics of your successes with the coneheads.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Great advice!

Also, they rock! I just got mine yesterday:

[​IMG]

:rock