Advice from experienced non-US BotCon goers please

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Hi Q, May 1, 2007.

1. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    I was reading the dealer room thread, and realised I obviously have to take money along. So what would be a good idea, just exchange for the amount of dollars here first? Or also rely on the presence of an ATM? Go for credit card when it comes to expenses other than dealer room? And what kind of amounts should I consider?

2. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    considering the amount of people going, i'd say bring some money, and lots of it for the con.

the ATM's will be SWARMED by people all day

3. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, use credit cards when doing stuff like the bar or meals or any other expenses. I don't think you will have any problems finding an ATM. I've never been to the place where the convention is held but places like that usually have atms around. Specifically the hotels and shopping areas.

4. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always take Travellers Cheques and some cash.
    I usually cash them in at the reception of the hotel when and if I need them.

That way I don't have to wait for the ATM which gets drained very fast.

5. Hi Q

News Credits:
    Ok, so what are these Travellers Cheques?

6. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/tc/index.shtml

They are basically a cheque you buy in the currency of the country you are going to.
    When you get them you sign them once, and when you go to cash them you sign them again in the presence of the person that is cashing them.
    A lot of shops (but I doubt dealers) also take them as legal tender which means you hand over the cheque, sign it and then get back your change in dollars or whatever country you are in.

You do, however, have to carry round some identification like a passport for cashing them.

I find them real easy and have been using them for years.

7. Hi Q

News Credits:
    Yeah, well, you have to carry round some id like a passport all the time anyway, no difference there.

8. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Most of the advice above is spot-on.

Cash is universal - Every dealer, service, hotel, bar, etc. will take cash. BUT, do NOT count on ATMs. At some of the last few cons, every ATM within walking distance was empty by Friday evening and most did not get restocked all weekend.

Use credit cards whenever you can. Hotel, food, etc. The Club store will take CC's, but the line to use one is usually a lot longer than the cash line - So decide how much your time is worth. Most floor dealers don't have the ability to take a credit card - That's just the way it is.

Traveller's Cheques are somewhere in the middle. I think most dealers will take them in modest amounts (if you try and drop $1000 at one table, you might have a problem). But there are some dealers, particularly some who came over from Japan, who have refused them in the past.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Like Boardwise said, the best way to use Traveller's Cheques is to cash them in at hotel reception as you need them.

10. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Exchange rates on Travellers Cheques are rubbish, you're better off with cash or a Debit/ Credit Card.

Personally if I was going I'd take $400 (£200) in cash and use my CC for the rest.

11. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's strange, cause I have always got the same exchange rate that you can buy the actual cash for, which is whatever it is on that day.

12. Hi Q

News Credits:
    I'm not expecting to do much in the dealer rooms. Gonna have the exclusive figs to drag home, don't really want much more. It's gonna be interesting using my CC for something not online. Never done that before.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yup. Most places will buy them back at the same rate if you don't use them all as well.