Advice for my small cat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Knightdramon, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Hello all, I'm taking care of two sister cats for a month now, they're about 3.5-4.5 months old.

Just half an hour ago Bella, the gray one, fell from the balcony [not sure how or from where] and onto the sidewalk. I came out from her meowing and picked her up. When she first saw me she run [my heart skipped a beat because it's a quite large neighborhood] but after she recognized me she waited to pick her up and go upstairs.

Upon entering the house and landing her on a couch she lifted her right paw for quite some time before lying down, but wasn't crying or anything. Could not tell if anything was broken [she'd react differently, right?] and lay her down next to her sister. I kept her company for half an hour until she fell asleep. As she was sleeping I could hear her breathing was heavier than usual.

She fell about 4-5 metres down from the balcony. Should I be worried and rush her to a doctor or wait until tomorrow to see how she's doing?

Any replies ASAP would be appreciated, thanks

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd say she was stressed from the fall, but probably not injured past a sprain. Kittens fall out of trees and stuff all the time. When she wakes up check out how she's walking.

3. Knightdramon

News Credits:
    Doctor told me to look for signs of internal bleeding in her gums; aside from a small drop of blood on her lip, they appear to be normal. And of all the times for my phone not to work! Should I be looking for something else?

Any more replies would be greatly appreciated

4. wipeyourfeet

wipeyourfeet Winner of the Internet

News Credits:
    My cat fell out an upper floor window when he was young, bouncing off his back on the front of the downstairs window box. I came out and he was shaking and it really worried me, he went to bed and we took him to the vet, nothing broken, so I think that even at a young age kittens are quite robust. Hell, on the way home he punched his way out of the carry box (it was a temporary cardboard one) and went for a walk round the car. I reckon its just shock, but I'm no vet.

5. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

If her arm was broken the cat will not let you touch it. They can be in pain and instead of making any type of noise they will breath heavier and maybe even drool. Wait until she wakes up and see how she walks. If everything seems fine then all is ok. If she limps or will not put any weight on one of her limbs then get her to a vet.

6. Knightdramon

News Credits:
    She appears to be better now, though still introverted. I toyed with both her front feet to see if she'd react to pain but she didn't so I'm guessing nothing's broken.

Her sister is ignoring her and running around to play with me. Besides a small drop of blood on her mouth I see nothing wrong with Bella, it appears she's in deep shock. She didn't touch her food nor her water.

Moreover, with the damn phone line down [don't ask how I've got internet but no phone] the vet can't call me back.

Probably not my best day so far...

7. Knightdramon

News Credits:
    She's woken up a couple of times but has done nothing but to change sides. Her breathing was heavier in the beginning as I brought her up but now it's back to normal. She won't get up though, she's still staying on the couch.

8. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    If you can't get a hold of a vet, you should pack her up and take her there as an emergency IMMEDIATELY. A cat that's 'fine' after a fall wouldn't be sleeping or 'introverted' so much, nor have any blood in her mouth. A cat that's fine after a fall would be improving quickly, not going into shock. Shock is something that will kill if not taken care of immediately.

The vet actually meant re: internal bleeding for you to do the anemia test, not look for blood in the mouth. Take your finger and press it on her gums for 1-2 seconds, then release and count how long it takes for the gums to return to their normal pink. If it takes more than 5 seconds, she's bleeding internally.

--Moony

9. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Holy crap, my cat did the exact same thing when we took him and sister to the Vet.

10. wipeyourfeet

wipeyourfeet Winner of the Internet

News Credits:
    I was in the back, and he just went crazy, yelling at us and bashing the box, ripping at the air holes. Then he went all 'The Shining' on us and stuck his head out. I was shocked.

I hope your cats are fine, BTW, I don't much care for animals, but I love cats.

11. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

If you give two shits about the cat, take it to a vet. The hell with trying to call one. Cats have a strange way about pain, the signs they show can be subtle. Then again the cat may be perfectly fine. Only one that can tell you that is a vet. NOt trying to sound harsh, but good God!

12. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    I swear, this board will need it's own Cat forum soon....

13. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Yeah, he's fine. This happened a several years ago (2000) when we were going to get them Neutered. He was a little freaked out by the passing scenery (He's a house cat).

14. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Stop stealing internet.

And stop worrying about the cat. It's shaken up because it had a new, and very odd and somewhat painful experience. Let it do it's thing and start worrying when it doesn't eat for days.

15. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Or when limbs bend in places where there are not joints.

16. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Damn, you beat me to it.

Might as well rename this forum "General Cat Discussion"

17. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I would definitely take her to the vet.

Cats rule.

18. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

If you feel the need to ask here if the kitten may be hurt,then you really should talk her to the vet to be safe.

Most likely though she wasn't expecting to fall and get hurt,had that happen to one of my cats and she hasn't climbed higher than four feet sence.