Advice for first buys for a prospective Titanium 6" collector?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MaxGoof, Apr 3, 2007.

1. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    'War Within' Magnus and Sunstorm are only just shipping so it's hard to say what they're like....

the mold Sunstorm is made from has received fairly positive responses when it was released as Thundercracker and Starscream. Since this is the third use of the mold, there's a chance it's on the loose side.

War Within Prime was prone to looseness too, they may have fixed that before it was rehashed into Ultra Magnus.

Rid Prime has gotten a positive response in general.

As for Jetfire...... look up titanium jetfire on youtube.com

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I thought the line was grabage at first too, so I sympathize...I'm really glad I gave it another chance...this is how I'd rate them:

Good:
    G1 Rodimus Prime
    BW Optimal Optimus
    RiD Optimus Prime
    WW Thundercracker (Starscream is good too, but has some mold degradation problems already, at least on mine

Decent:
    WW The Fallen (my favorite of the line because of the color scheme and details, but has some pretty floppy joints)
    WW Jetfire
    G1 Scourge

Crap:
    WW Optimus Prime
    GI Joe Megatron

I don't have Soundwave yet since visually it falls into the 'crap' category

3. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Rodimus and Thundercracker are both FANTASTIC.

Jetfire's good.

Scourge is boring.

Those are the only ones I have.

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Of the ones I have, Rodimus Prime, RID Optimus, Cheetor, Fallen, and Thundercracker are great. Good transformations, nice in both modes, and plenty of articulation without being floppy. And unlike one mentioned above, my Fallen doesn't have any floppy joints.

Jetfire is alright, but he has a few problems, mine's torso leans to his right thanks to a transformation joint being too loose. Optimal Optimus is loose everywhere but he's a good representation of the original character despite missing a beast mode. And for G1ers, Scourge is good for recreating the original so well with added articulation.

Then there's War Within Prime and Megatron... Prime suffers from Galoob's inexperience with action figures, especially of this nature. Joints are floppy and while he looks good in both modes, he's not much of a toy, I only display mine. Megatron I just got and actually really like, but his vehicle mode takes some imagination. You have to realize he's not supposed to be a tank, more of an assault platform or rolling fortress. The main problem with him is that the production run seems to be random, mine is good but others have reported legs popping off when transforming and knees dislocating when bending. Take your chances with that one.

I haven't gotten Ultra Magnus or Soundwave yet, both are on their way. Reviews for both have been fairly mixed.

5. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I think it depends on how you approach the line and what you expect to get out of it. For me, I think of them as display pieces that happen to transform. If you're expecting toys like Cybertron or Classics you'll be disappointed.

The first few models I had to have as soon as I saw them...WWI Thundercracker, Fallen, etc. Then I found myself picking up a few of the 6Ti models on impulse....everything else I was looking for wasn't there, and the prices are relatively low, so I ended up buying a few figures I wasn't interested in (Scourge, RiD Prime, Soundwave). So far I have not been terribly disappointed, but again, it's probably because I'm not expecting much other than a display piece. Only Soundwave has been an utter disappointment that I'd rather not have....all the rest, even the ones I didn't originally want, I have not regretted buying.

You can find something bad to say about each and every one of the released models so far, and probably GI Megs and Soundwave are the only two to have gotten universally bad reviews.

My own opinions:
    Fallen, Cheetor, Thundercracker, Rodimus - Best of the line, minor quibbles with things here and there (Fallen's flappy treads, Cheet's weird proportions, Roddy's forward thrusted hollow chest). Either a good representation of a character never seen (TC, Fallen), or better than the original (Rodimus).

Jetfire, RiD Prime, Scourge - Solid entries. They have their drawbacks (Jetfire has no knees, Scourge's legs suck, Prime's feet and lack of metal), but I still like them, the positives outweigh the negatives. I've only had Jetfire for a few days now, so my opinion of him might be too high, but I do like him--almost enough to say he's in the 'best of the line' category.

Soundwave, GI Megatron - Waste of metal, waste of packaging, waste of money.

I'm looking forward to G1 Magnus, I skipped the other seekers (Skywarp won't be skipped, whatever form he takes), I'll pick up any of the other WWI characters besides Magnus, and probably continue collecting bits and pieces of the line as long as it lasts.

6. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd recommend Jetfire. He has, IMO, the best combination of cool bot mode and cool alt mode. I think the Rodimus figure is pretty good as well (especially bot mode).

7. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Agreed. I picked up Jetfire from HTS a few days ago, and that "new toy euphoria" isn't wearing off with him. He looks good in both modes, and though he has drawbacks (the knees don't bend much, the arms hit the backpack in some poses), he's proportioned well, he has a unique transformation, and he's just plain cool. Likewise, I still like Rodimus, even though I always thought the transformation design was very goofy. The way his head tilts down a bit is a shame, since it's unimaginitive design, but overall 1) he looks good in both modes, 2) he's reasonably articulated, and 3) he's 200,000,000 times better than the original toy.