Advice for a visitor on buying Transformers in the States

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Longwaysouth, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Longwaysouth

Longwaysouth Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster here. I'm from the UK and will be making my annual trip to the States with my wife on Saturday to spend Thanksgiving week with her family, and as usual I'll use the opportunity to pick up a few TF's. We'll be staying in Orlando for a couple of days and then travelling down to the Sarasota area and as usual I'll hit the likes of Walmart, Target and Toys R Us searching for Transformers, the only thing is I'm not sure of general availability and what my chances are of being able to pick up the TF's I'm after for myself and one of my friends. :confused:  Any advice on the possibility that I'll be able to pick up any of the following and whether I should buy them on sight or wait until Black Friday (depending on what offers there are) would be much appreciated:

For me:
    Human Alliance Jazz
    ROTF Mindwipe & Bludgeon (I know these two have been out for a while, so not holding out much hope)
    Generations Drift, Blurr & Dirge
    HFTD Terradive, Tomahawk
    MP Grimlock

For my friend:
    Human Alliance Jazz, Mudflap, Barricade
    HFTD Highbrow
    Generations Drift

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

You should not have any trouble finding most of those figures at Toys R' Us, Wal-Mart, and Target.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Welcome out of the lurk =) My suggestion is that you order it from Hasbrotoyshop with the current 25% off coupon + free shipping. Send it to where you will be staying (your wife's family), and when you get there, just bring it back. That's going to be cheaper than any option you have for buying them MISB.

4. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I'm from California, waaaay apart from Florida so I don't know exactly what's going to be happening there. (Would also help to check in to the Florida Sightings section).

But where I'm at, TRU has been getting ROTF Mindwipe in, Grimlock is also becoming easier to find, and I've only seen HA Barricades at TRUs. Terradive and Tomahawk are becoming easier to find, Drift has been shelfwarming for a while.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Mudflap isnt happening.

6. Longwaysouth

Thanks for the advice everyone. exomega255 you gave me an idea, the Hasbrotoyshop site didn't hold much joy but I had a look on the TRU site and ordered Mindwipe, Bludgeon and Drift (I have to get 2 Drifts anyway so figured I should order at least 1 just in case as he's been difficult for me to find in the UK) on my wife's American credit card and had them sent to her family. I've had a look in the Florida sightings thread - looks like I sould be able to pick up Terradive, Tomahawk & Highbrow. I'm limited by suitcase space so I think I'll have to wait and see what else I find.

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

You'll want to have MP Grimlock shipped to you then. Because I think his box might be too big for your suite case. The other figures however should fit right in with your clothing.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Np,

But from your list:

For me:
    Human Alliance Jazz (most likely restock before you come to USA)
    ROTF Mindwipe (in stock)
    Generations Drift, Blurr & Dirge (blurr and dirge will restock, drift you can find ANYWHERE =) )
    HFTD Terradive, Tomahawk (will restock, as they are newer items)
    MP Grimlock (easier to grab from TRU)

For my friend:
    Human Alliance Jazz, Mudflap, Barricade (Jazz will restock, Mudflap from Amazon, Barricade is in stock)
    HFTD Highbrow (in stock)
    Generations Drift (same as above)

You can get most of them with free shipping + 25% off.

9. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  10. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  11. Longwaysouth

Thanks for your replies everyone, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to fit everything I listed in my suitcases (I wish I could!) so that's why I haven't ordered as much as I could have. I'll just wait and see what I find in the stores and my friend knows I'll only be able to pick up one or possibly two of the bigger TF's he's asked for.

videriant - many thanks for that link to the $5 off $25 coupon, I've printed off a few so I'll definitely make use of those as it's unlikely I'll get to a TRU on Black Friday so at least I'll get some money off anything I buy earlier in the week from there. Perhaps it won't be as cheap as possible but when I'm paying the same amount or less in dollars for TF's that I would do in pounds over here and I got a rate of 1.6 dollars to the pound then I'm happy. I know Wal-mart does price matching too so I can just get the Black Friday TRU deals there (provided they have the stock of course!).

12. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    do you mind if its not misb? if that's so you can always pack them loose going back

13. Longwaysouth

Yeah I was thinking about that, I'm not bothered about them being MISB as I'll unpack them and display them on my shelves when I get home anyway. I guess I could unfold the boxes to flat pack them in my suitcase and as long as I packed the figures carefully then they should be ok - in fact I'd probably put all the figures in my hand luggage just to be on the safe side. I guess it depends how many I get...

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    good luck =) do what I do when I go to other countries: Pack the biggest legal suitcase with a minimum amount of clothes. You won't believe the kinds of stuff I fit to bring back to USA

15. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    At the risk of suggesting something you've already rejected:

Could you post some of them home and put your wife's family address down as the return address on the off chance they get returned?

16. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You could always try to box them up and send them as an additional piece of luggage with your stuff. Not sure if you'll get hit in customs but even if you have to pay for the extra baggage it's probably cheaper than mailing it back.

17. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    extra baggage is really expensive now, nothing short of EMS rates, but at least its still cheaper than mailing it.

18. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are definitely MP grimlocks in the Altamonte Toys R Us store, I just got mine there.

Altamonte is maybe 20 min away from downtown Orlando. Its right across from the Altamonte mall.

Edited* Don't forget to take the toys out of package to fit more in the luggage! If you dont mind that is.

19. Longwaysouth

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll definitely take my TF's out of their packaging when I pack them. My friend says I doesn't mind if I take his out of the boxes too... he knows I'll be able to bring more back that way so he's happy. I guess if I absolutely had to I could mail some of the stuff home or pay for extra luggage but I'd rather not - I'm sure I'll manage fine. I'll update next week with what I manage to find - I'll post in the Florida sightings thread too if that's any use to anyone.

20. Longwaysouth

So I got back to the UK from Florida on Sunday. During my stay I picked up:

ROTF Bludgeon and ROTF Mindwipe
    Generations Drift
    HA Jazz
    and most unexpectedly:
    RTS Jazz and RTS Tracks :D 

Also picked up Generations Drift, HA Jazz, RTS Jazz and RTS Tracks for a friend.

I managed to get all of them in my luggage without taking them out of their packaging apart from Bludgeon (who shared a box with Mindwipe).