Advice for a new collector....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Schrecken, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Schrecken

Schrecken Active Member

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for me - I've been looking around these boards for a couple weeks now and I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I saw the recent Transformers movie and I absolutely loved it (well, there were a few things I didn't care for but for the most part I loved it) and I've begun collecting TF stuff relating to the movie (posters, cards, stickers, etc). I also am somewhat of a TF novice as well - I was too old to play with toys when the TF's first came out, but I do remember a little about them, and some younger kids I knew played with them.

But what I'd like to begin looking for are scale models of some of the movie's TF's. I'm saying "scale models" because I know about the toys (well, a little, maybe not much at all....), but I'm actually looking for something that's a bit higher end than that. I know that various manufacturers do make models (some that you paint yourself and others that are ready-made) of movie characters, like the creature from Alien (that was about my favorite movie monster - or non-human creature - until I saw the TF movie!) and classics like the werewolf and Frankenstein.

I'm interested in a few of the TF's in their robot modes (don't really care about the alt modes), especially Barricade and Megatron. I want them as display pieces. So what are my options here?

Also, how faithful are the toys to the movie - with regards to detail, coloration, etc? The only toys I have ever collected (and I use that term loosely as I only have a few) as an adult are Beenie Babies. I don't have kids either, so I've never bought for children before.

Any advice?

2. killahbuny

killahbuny Well-Known Member

keep your eyes open. I havnt seen anything in the model side of things yet but thats not to say they wont make it. in the mean time try googleing the robot replica line there possible but dont tf and i think there more movie accurate than the tf-ing toys.

welcome to the fandom >_<

3. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    There's this line called "Robot Replicas" out, I've only seen Megatron and Barricade (lucky you!!) in this line so far, but there are going to be others. They're all $10, and they're very accurate, and super articulated. They don't transform, but again, i know you don't care about that. They're regular retail, so START HUNTIN!! I have a feeling from what you said that you'll eat them up!!

Enjoy

STu

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    You might want to try the Unleashed figures. They're more like plastic statues than action figures.

The mainline figures are all about as accurate as possible, given the limitations of having to be a functioning transformable toy. None of them are 100% accurate, but they all come close in certain areas.

5. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

... agreed with the above, especially with the welcome - but I assure you, sir, once you start down this road - all intentions of getting "just this or that" aside - you will start buying TFs without impunity. :) 

6. Schrecken

Schrecken Active Member

Hey, thanks for the info! Amazon.com has them - and they also have one of Bumblebee (might get that too!). These will fill the bill just fine.

7. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I think its funny when you say "I might get that too!" cause thats the way I started back to collecting Transformers a few years ago and it just kinda snowballed into what I have now. Oh and welcome to the boards.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Robot Replicas suck. not super-accurate as stated (barricade has six wheels visible), and their articulation is terrible - most joints are blocked, or positioned wrong. like megatron, whose elbows only go side to side instead of forward.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Really? I had thought they had Revoltech-style joints and the associated articulation.

And I'm looking at Barricade on the internets (was actually ordering him from TRU when I saw your post)--where are the extra wheels?

10. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Revoltech style joints - yes
    Revoltech style articulation - no

11. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Pace yourself and don't buy everything you want too fast. You'll regret it later on. Good luck! :) 

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Can you explain that a little more? Is it the sculpting the limits movement or what?

13. Grifter Prime

Grifter Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The one impotant thing to remember is, buy what you remember you liked when you were a kid, but KNOW what your buying! Do your research. Make sure your not buying a KO - Knock off. Happened to me, I didn't mind tho.

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Yeah, and much like Hasbro's attempt to ripoff Robosapien with Ultimate Bumblebee (really, what other giant animatronic robot line is there that could threaten TF's high-price marker segment?), Robot Replicas ends up being Poor Man's Revoltech.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That's a shame. Revoltech = the shit. Woulda liked to have seen some stateside (= non-import priced) figures released that were comparable.

I'll probably grab Barricade anyways just 'cause I love his arm feature. And they're only half the cost of a real Revoltech, so I can live with a little drop in coolness.

16. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just saw this robot replica bumblebee review

His articulation kinda sucks, nowhere near a revoltech. Mostly due to the lack of a wrist joint, and crappy knee joint. Since the knee seems to be limited by the sculpt, it could be that the other ones are better or worse.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  17. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    I think you startted doign the right thing... asking in a forum of collectors. continue liek that, yuo will get tons of info and different point of vierws that will really make you help to take a decision.

On a personal side I would recommend to "study" all TF's lines, try not to concentrate in one stuff just because you are not accostumed to it. Learning about all TF's will give youa lot of surprises, with many cool mold s and figures.

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
  19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ok, I see it now. That's more than a little lazy. Now I gotta go find a good CGI pic 'cause I'm curious which set doesn't belong.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the set on his upper legs doesnt belong.