Advice for a friend of mine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leadfoot, Feb 27, 2011.

1. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I was over 20k in cc debt about 5 years ago. It's recoverable too. OP: Help your friend buy and sell TFs online. That's how I paid off my 20k+ cc debt and now I've owned my own house for over a year now. Mostly from buying and selling TFs. As for the depression, at the end of the day the only thing that's going to help is to find the cause and eliminate it.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

He already takes medicine, which may or may not help the problem; I'm no psychologist, just a concerned friend, but it would seem to me that whatever help it provides is minimal. As for getting him laid, baby steps my friend. You have to walk before you can run.

No.

Cultivating apathy is an apt description of his problem. Today, I actually got him to admit that he does so - for the first time in my trying to help him. He takes drugs, but I think it may be a matter of a shrink throwing medicine at the problem and billing his patient. In terms of helping himself, I have managed to browbeat him into joining my gym, and I manage to drag him in there to work out 3 to five days a week. To me this demonstrates a clear effort on his part, and I won't give up on him - no matter what.

His pop is a really honorable old guy, and is trying to help him while trying also not to enable his bad behavior, and he's trying to get him to take the high road. He doesn't want to declare bankruptcy, but he won't likely just let the collectors harass him endlessly either.

That would be quite something, but they wouldn't take him in the physical state he's in currently.

I've suggested something like this to him, but he's a bit hesitant. He has the ability to be clever and entertaining, but avoids any kind of pressure to perform consistently.

He'd have had to purchase that before becoming disabled in order to collect any benefit. You can't buy life insurance for a dead man, and so forth.

I appreciate everyone's replies very much. For those of you who asked about his ability to produce something or use his talent to the good, there is something that may be of use. He makes handmade woodcrafts. Boxes, shelves, chairs, etc. All hand made with no electrical tools, painstakingly detailed with instruments that were in use as far back as centuries ago. Perhaps the best thing for him would be to be in touch with a resourceful person or group of people who know where that sort of thing is in demand - all handmade woodwork. He's shy about his work and has never sold a piece, but it's truly great work and worthy of admiration and he could sell it for profit. He just doesn't know how to put it to use.

3. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Totally agree with Moonscream. Anything that helps one center on the positive aspects of life, and love for yourself and others is good. I'd been depressed for well over a year, and it wasn't until my friend got me going back to Church on a weekly basis that things started to change within me. It's not necessarly about God and all that, after all, we are the ones who have to deal with our own problems. A lot of it is about reafirming faith in one's self and in humanity, as well as having a schedule for something I do once a week where I set aside at least 1 hour to not be self-centered. That changed me for the better, and I am forever greatful to my friend for that day she text me to meet her at Church this past November.

You could, and people can post deaths that occurred by taking the advice of doctors and surgeons. In the end, neither really has to do with the intentions behind the advice...

:dj