Heavy/Scratch: Adventures of a Noob in 3D Printing - Ongoing Projects and 3D printing discussion

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ultraman zoffy, Sep 10, 2018.

1. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Well-Known Member

After finally throwing down and buying my first 3D printer (Creality Ender-3), which I've been wanting to do for a loooooong time as a toy modder/customizer, I've jumped in deep and crash coursed myself for the last week to learn all I can about how the tech works and what it can do.... countless YouTube videos, review articles, trouble shooting pages and discussions, you name it. It has been literally back breaking (meaning hours and hours hunched over the printer for the better part of a week fiddling and tweaking things) and even stressful figuring how 3D printers work and behave, and after finally breaking through to the other side of successful prints (well, moderate success anyways), I thought I'd start a running thread to show print projects I'm working on, as well as to openly discuss with other printers (or folks interested) on the topic of doing TF related 3D printing.

First off, anyone even thinking about picking one up should at the very least be:
    1) very decently mechanically inclined and comfortable tweaking and calibrating very sensitive machines,
    2) detail oriented and organized (which I'm not great at)
    3) somewhat software and tech saavy
    4) patient as fk and a coffee drinker (for all the staying up and babysitting the printer that you'll initially be doing)

So... after a lot of trial prints, failures, false starts, printer upgrades, almost wasting an entire spool of PLA filament, burned fingers, etc etc..... let's get started! =)

First Real Project #1) G1 Bruticus Upgrade Kit for Jinbao OS KO Warbotron

Update 9/23: Done with the paint up! Might redo the black top a dark grey instead, it came out a little too dark. Maybe also the green on the chest into more of a brown to match the Jinbao shuttle. Otherwise, the G1 kit plus paint is doin it for me!
    20180923_172745-1.jpg

(created by reza_aulia, STL file for sale at 3d printer model Jinbao Not Bruticus Upgrade Kit G1 Ver ・ Cults)

This design by reza_aulia (creator of the also crazy cool feet upgrade parts for Apollyon) was THE reason I ran out and bought a printer. After seeing this, especially as a HUGE fan of Jinbao Bruticus, I had to unlock the secrets of 3D printing kung fu.
    5_large.jpg
    2_large.jpg

Holy crap. It is so badass.

I decided to tackle the head first, and my first 2 tries SUCKED. First one, I forgot to add supports to the print (needed to keep overhanging pieces stable during printing). Second one, the print crapped itself 3 hours in. FINALLY realized that this whole time (including throughout my whole first week of printing) that I was printing at the wrong nozzle temperature for the brand of PLA filament I was using (ESun PLA). Once I made the proper adjustments, my Ender-3 created this beautiful work of art (at least for my noob skillset):

20180910_074339-1.jpg 20180910_074348-1.jpg 20180910_081136.jpg

And finally... the MONEY SHOT:
    20180910_082523.jpg
    With the new printer settings working so well, I'll be jumping into printing out the rest of the kit this coming weekend (FYI, these print jobs can run for HOURS and sometimes days, so time management is another key element of the process). I'll be posting up more as I get the prints out.

UPDATE 9/16: HE'S FINALLY FINISHED!!! (too tired to paint; next weekend for that)
    20180916_183425-1.jpg 20180916_183504-1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 17
  2. WayGroovy

WayGroovy Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of tomorrow!

I've been 3d printng since ~2014. Started with thethe Printr Simple 2104, prinrbot play, and now creality cr10.

Rule #1: don't go upgrading until you are printing well as is.

Rule #2: only do one upgrade at a time, get used to that upgrade, then consider if you need the next one.

Rule #3: you get what you pay for in filament, usually. $20/kg us is a good place.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ultraman zoffy

Words to live by... most of my "upgrades" were just printing out simple clip on parts for the Ender-3 like fan covers, filament guide, etc. So far, the glass bed has been the big change I'd probably recommend as fairly beginner safe, considering most Ender-3s seem to have warped beds. I added an OctoPrint Raspberry Pi out of the gate also just to be able to monitor the printer over the internet. And also changed the filament tube and couplings to higher quality stuff after getting a crazy nozzle jam a few days in.
    Nothing too crazy, and for now the only additional changes I would like to make are all safety related so I can feel more comfortable leaving the printer running while I'm away.

4. Mecannibal V

Mecannibal V Engineeratron

News Credits:
    Looks like you're off to a pretty good start! Support settings must be pretty dialed in. Not a raft guy myself, but to each there own.

I'll second the comments on mods. I downed my first printer for months because of a mod I was only half read to do, and probably didn't need. Shitty lesson to learn.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ultraman zoffy

I think I'm a raft person only for longer print jobs, just for a little more adhesion insurance. Otherwise, my bed seems dialed enough for most jobs. I usually just go with a 3 loop skirt for most stuff, and that seems to work fine. I've yet to try brims out, but I figure they also have their place.

6. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Wow! Awesome job for a first-time print.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ultraman zoffy

Did a quick print tonight that went well, some combiner port extenders from designer dencio333x on Thingiverse. I'm using them on Volcanicus and they work great, but they need to be turned sideways to work with the TDW upgrade kit (although cutting another notch in them so they can face forward correctly would be easy enough) . Way better quality than the stuff I was buying on Shapeways for the longest time. =)
    20180910_212603.jpg 20180910_212611.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  8. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

Man, I would totally love this if it was more like the Hasbro CW head and/or the PE add-on one. This head is good but too "toon" for me which sucks since I want a better head ASAP for this guy.

Also, I'm very interested in your overall journey. I want to get a printer too for some custom stuff, namely an adapter for the oversized CW combiners to fit the regular CW limbs (different connector size, it's like 6.5x6.5 around).

9. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    You look like you are off to a good start. I would highly recommend dropping your infill. You look like you are at about between 80% and "solid" depending on what your slicer calls them. You will still get an incredibly strong print and cut your build time in half at much lower infill settings.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WayGroovy

WayGroovy Well-Known Member

I like 15% personally.

If you want stronger prints, you can bake your print in the oven. Take a look at hear treating place videos. May need to adjust scaling, depending on the part.

11. ultraman zoffy

Here's my current Cura profile, and I'm definitely open to suggestions on it! I'm happy with the prints I'm getting with these settings, but if they're overkill, I can try making adjustments:
    20180911_063610-1.jpg 20180911_063619-1.jpg 20180911_063626-1.jpg 20180911_063631-1.jpg 20180911_063640-1.jpg 20180911_063646-1.jpg 20180911_063653-1.jpg 20180911_063658-1.jpg 20180911_063703.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. ultraman zoffy

Pulled off another TF related print tonight! Yet another cool design from reza_aulia, these feet upgrades for XTB Apollyon were the first pieces I'd seen of his work when I came across a random Facebook image of them way back. Like most folks, I'd already moved onto MP-36 as my Megatron main, but I still appreciate and own Apollyon, so I wanted to show him some love. These feet covers do so much to improve his aesthetic despite being a pretty simple addition. Once I get one of the new MP toon Primes coming out, I'll still save some shelf space to display Apollyon and his new feet alongside MP-10, as their beefier looks still go great together.
    20180912_232959-1.jpg 20180912_233528-1.jpg 20180912_233951-1.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  13. ultraman zoffy

More TF stuff tonight, printed out a few parts and came up with a true 2-bot torso proof of concept Liokaiser. All bots are stock, no crazy mods to any of them, you can just connect any 6 CW bots, and they retain all of their modes. It's definitely a first draft, threw it together in a hurry, so it needs refinements, some more designed pieces/parts (really needs a cleaner solution for the combiner head mount) and I will need to customize everyone into their toon design, but that's the easy stuff once the connection method is all sorted out.
    20180914_001603-1.jpg 20180914_001635-1.jpg
    20180914_001615-1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  14. Nightstrike

Nightstrike Well-Known Member

Nice! I'm working on something similar for Liokaiser, too!

• Like Like x 1
  15. ultraman zoffy

Cool man, looking forward to seeing it! Most custom Liokaiser attempts have required a boatload of tough mods to get all 6 bots on him, but being able to print stuff on the fly and test things out right away is a huge help. I'm going to post a separate thread in radicons for him, and we should compare notes when you get yours going! =)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nightstrike

Nightstrike Well-Known Member

I've already got a few pieces sitting in my Tinkercad account (knees, Jarugar kit for Dragstrip, and waist connector). Since it does require quite a few add-ons, I figured they could all become weapons, or a large vehicle. If you're interested, I'll PM you some pics of what I've got rendered, so far.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ultraman zoffy

For sure, I'd appreciate it a ton if you PM me some of your designs! I can't get anything started in TinkerCad myself because my ancient desktop's video card can't handle the 3D stuff, so I'm stuck waiting until I can take my office computer home before I can start actually designing anything.

18. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closeted otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Following this thread. I own a 3D printer but have no experience with anything and have just now gotten the chance to mess with it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ultraman zoffy

Awesome, which one did you pick up? There are some things that apply to 3D printing in general that I can share my recent experiences on, but then there's also a ton of model specific things that you'd have to look up. I basically downloaded every video I thought would be helpful, and watched them during every phase of the setup and first print. Lots of trial and error in the beginning, but just don't give up! =)

• Like Like x 1
  20. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closeted otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a Monoprice. I got it for Christmas last year, but work has been so busy. Right now I need to focus on modeling, which I have no experience with. That strikes me as the biggest challenge. Any advice with that first and foremost would be most appreciated.