Customs: Adventures in Mold Making

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Boggs6ft7, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

So I decided to take the plunge and try to make my own silicone molds. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time since watching "Movie Magic" on discovery channel when I was in grade school.

I figured before I moved on to fancy foam latex proesthetics, I would make some transformers parts. The first mold I'm going to work on is the Thrust wings I made. With any luck, I'll have successful molds of Thrust's wings and then I'll look at the possibility of selling them from there. I know not everyone can afford the botcon set, and personally, I think the Thrust wings on the botcon set look horrible.

Anyways, this is what I have started with: My mold box with the wing and clay. Building up the clay and making my "seam" is a lot harder than what I thought it would be. Those lines dug into the clay are key holes, this will make a interlocking area for my two halves.

[​IMG]

I need to run to my classroom tomorrow to mix the silicone because it mixes by mass or weight (I have gram balances at school) and the mixture needs to be degassed (I have a vaccum pump and bell jar apparatus at school as well).

Hopefully this will turn out ok, the silicone takes about 16 hours to cure, I'll post more pictures of my progress as it comes.

2. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool, good luck, hope it works out for you. I know I'd be interested in a set of wings for a kitbash. I don't think I could make them look right, and I defenity can't afford the botcon set.
    Keep up the good work. -ace

3. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I am in the process of making my own molds also and I have to steal your idea for the mold box :D . Best of luck man!

4. Demonicon

Demonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If this is successful and you are able to begin reproing parts, one part I would love to see:

A custom movie Prime energy sword for the Leader toy, molded in translucent orange plastic. *drools*

5. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Love the makeshift box, legos can do anything!

I'll be interested to see how this goes, I've alays wanted to try molding my own parts, making extra weapons and heads for customs and repair jobs, Hell, even fixing up old G1's.

6. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

Your off to a good start, but you need to key the mold closer to the object, and it also needs to be vented and gated properly, as it stands now, it's a real good bet that mold will never fill properly.

7. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    let me know how this turns out...i know i'll be interested in a set or two of the wings

8. Boggs6ft7

I was wondering about the key holes, thanks for the heads up.

That little white part to the left of my box was going to act as my "pour hole" but your're right, I don't have anywhere for the air to escape.

Should I just put another shaft to the right of that one?

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

hey man, you get these off and running, sign me up for a pair :thumb 

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm no expert on molds, but I would imagine that vent holes would need to be made at the highest points of the object being molded (like the fan tip and rim), and also at the ends of elongated parts (like the wingtip and mounting fairing).

11. mslz22

mslz22 Active Member

The part should be angled, and for the best results it should fill from a low point and vent from the highest point. If you are not going to be pressure casting with the resin you will want to pick a quick set resin, like a 3 minute resin, the 7 minute stuff tends to get some "achne" without pressure. Also for a simple part like this you do not always need a 2 part mold, you can hang the part with the fill sprue and the vent in place and fill the box with silicone, later cutting out the part with a mold key knife only enough to get the part out. If you stick with the 2 part mold be sure to apply a mold release intended to make 2 part silicone molds, using a mold release intended for casting resin could lock the part in the mold forever.
    Good luck
    mike

12. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Best of luck to you! Good to see someone giving this an effort. I haven't ever done any casting, so I couldn't give you any advice. But, it sounds like some people are coming forward with good info, so hopefully you can put it all together.

And yes, I would also by quite interested in a pair of you can get it all to work. :) 

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Cool. I might be up for a pair too. The only hard part is finding two Starscreams and two Ramjets to kitbash into T-cracker, Dirge, and Thrust, lol.

14. Tracks_25

Tracks_25 We rollin'

Best of luck with the wings. Keep us posted.

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    So.....any updates? I'm curious to how well this went for you.

16. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    he got told to cease and desist.

17. Lord Bacon

Lord Bacon BACON DUKE

for realzies?

18. Boggs6ft7

No, I've just got backed up in other projects. I should be back on track this weekend. Sorry for the lack of updates.

19. Gir

Gir I want to be a mongoose

keep us posted - Im sure there's tons of poeple interested in getting a set other than me

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm interested in a set too.