Adventures in British Cooking, Part 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Streck, May 16, 2006.

1. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Shepherd's Pie

[​IMG]

"A traditional British dish that consists of a bottom layer of minced (ground) lamb in gravy covered with mashed potato and (often) a layer of cheese. It is a favourite dish of institutional cooks keen on feeding large groups of people. A shepherd's pie made with beef is properly called a cottage pie. A similar dish made with fish instead of meat is called a fisherman's pie."

I'm not too big on lamb, so I may have to go for the cottage pie. The Worldwide Gourmet rates the difficulty of cooking this dish as "very easy."

Cumberland Sausage

[​IMG]

"They are usually very long (up to 50 cm), and sold rolled in a flat circular coil. Sometimes they are made shorter, like ordinary British sausages. The meat is pork, the seasonings are prepared from a variety of spices and herbs and there are traditionally no colouring or preservatives added. The crucial thing is that the meat should be chopped, not minced; consequentially the texture is relatively chunky. They are often served with a fried egg on top, accompanied by chips and peas."

This I can import, should be no trouble. And a fried egg on top? Damn.

Ploughman's Lunch

[​IMG]

"A cold snack or meal, featuring at a minimum, a thick piece of cheese (usually Cheddar, Stilton, or other local cheese), pickle (often Branston Pickle, sometimes piccalilli and/or pickled onions), crusty bap or chunk of bread, and butter. It is often accompanied by a green salad; other common additions are half an apple, rocket, celery, pâté, sliced hard-boiled egg or beetroot."

Since I've no actual pubs to go to, I'll have to visit a gourmet cheese shop and the World Market down the street. At least I already have the Branston Pickle. I know it's rather silly expending so much effort to (roughly) simulate what any Briton can just snag at a pub, but hey, it's fun.

Bara Brith

[​IMG]

"This is literally translated as ‘speckled bread’. Once a week, the stove was lit for baking day, as the heat began to fade in the stove, so a handful of currants was added to the last of the bread dough and this speckled bread became a treat. The flavour, however, of this spiced, honey-glazed fruit bread is delicious when spread with salted Welsh butter, and it is no wonder that Bara Brith is still produced all over Wales."

It sounds totally delicious, and I'm weird with baking, so there's a good chance I'll screw it up on my first try, assuming I can even get ahold of "Welsh butter." Eventually, I'll dig deeper into other Welsh dishes - some of them look really quite interesting.

Lancashire Hot Pot

[​IMG]

"Originates from the days of heavy industrialisation in Lancashire, Northwest England. The basic recipe consists of several layers made up of meat (for example, chunks of lamb and kidneys) with vegetables (carrot, turnip, onion or leek) then covered with sliced potato. As many layers can be added as will fit in the pot."

I'm even less fond of kidneys than I am of lamb, but I might have to try them both in this form, for the sake of gastronomy. One plus side to this dish is that it doesn't require as many region-specific ingredients as some of the other stuff I've tried.

2. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still no love for Haggis :( 

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Shepherd's pie sounds good, but I wouldn't even bother with the ploughman's lunch. It's just cheese, bread, and a pickle!

4. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

With good reason...

Well, no actually. Just because I don't like it doesn't make it bad. I will say it's a unique taste though.

Streck, You should try Cottage Pie instead. Switch Lamb for beef add diced carrot, peas, swede and onion to the meat, use a roughly mashed potato for the topping and cap with extra mature crumbled cheddar. Great British dish.

5. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Shepherd's pie and cottage pie are two of my favorite dishes that my mom used to make when we needed something heavy and filling on a bleak, dreary day.

Now that I no longer have roommates, and am having to cook for myself, Adventures in Cooking is a nightly theme.

Oooh, I smell a good blog.

No wait, that's just a grease fire. n/m

6. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

My house mates and I cook a cottage pie pretty much every week. Well i say 'My house mates and I', what i actually mean is 'The one guy we get to do all the cooking while we at best chop an onion'.

I'd love if we could cover it up in cheese, but we have one bastard living with us that refuses to touch the stuff, so we just have to grate it onto our separate plates. As a variation we put mustard into the mash last time, tasted awesome! And remeber to make plenty of gravy to go with it and have bread on stand-by to mop the plates!...

Tonight will be an adventure, the cooking lad is ill so its me and the cheese hater attempting to cook a couple of chicken joints and mash some potatoes for however many of us are here to eat it (6 people live here, not always here for every evening meal though). God help us all if we try and boil some vegtables too...

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i had sheperd's pie recently. but the brits laughed at me :( 

8. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Where's the Haggis and black pudding?

9. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

My mom used to make the cottage pie(we called it sheppard's pie though) quite a bit as kids. She never put gravy in it though. Just the meat, corn, potatoes, and cheese. I never like Mozzarella cheese which she used so she always left one corner witout it. Cheddar cheese on it would probably be good though.