Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Edge, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I picked it up today and so far I'm digging the new storyline and characters even if its just a step above in rating (e10+) But the world is very immersive and dark which pulls you into the fight more.

I am only on like the third or 4th mission had to recharge the battery but its fun none the less. And the mic option is pretty responsive I was able to talk normally and had the ds a foot away from my face. I've yet to dabble in online play yet though I don't wanna go on unless I got friend codes or something bleach has kind of soured me with cheap players.

Still for those on the fence about it so far its pretty fun and more of a modern fare then past enteries. They lost the dual screen option but with the supposed reduced co powers they almost had to get rid of it

2. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

IT'S OUT?! OMG!

What's the Dual Screen Option?

3. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm gonna take a guess that he means the automated battle on the top screen.

I'm definitely going to give this game a shot, as I liked the first advance wars, but dual strike was horrible. I got stuck on like the 11th or 12th mission in the DS game, (the one with 2 pairs of CO's under your control), tried it a few times, then realized all I had to do was time all 4 CO powers to use at once then wtfpwn the enemy in one turn. After that I put it down and haven't picked it up since. This game sounds great because of the toned down CO powers.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I picked it up just a few moments ago...was able to play the first mission.

My DS however has very very little battery life left (the light is red even with the lowest brightness setting) and my charger is as of current, MIA.

God this blows.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Got it, love it. I've played through the first 6 or 7 missions so far.

Darker plotline FTW! I was so tired of the cheeseball kiddie storyline from the other titles. Same basic play mechanics with new some new units, I haven't seen any CO powers yet.

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    QFT

I'll miss Grit but Gage seems to be a decent replacement.

IIRC, CO Powers are played down much much more, and don't come into play until late (or at least later) in the story. And after the game changing tag powers of Dual Strike, I think that's a good change.

7. Dinobot Primal

Dinobot Primal Member

but Gage seems to be a decent replacement.
    I disagree, I hate the hell out of bishonen. And he's one, so I hate him too. Grit > Gage even if they have the CO Powers.
    However I personally like Brenner, Waylon, Forscythe, Caulder, The Beast(to bad he can't be unlocked ;_;)  and Will.
    Anyway, I apologize! But after growing up with RPGs and playing through them as blasted bishonen I wish they made Gage resemble Grit.

8. 333HE

333HE HERSHEY'S GONNA EAT JOO.

Got it today. It rocks. I've already lost track of what mission I'm on... :p 

9. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Definitely a kick ass game. I think I'm up to mission 8 or 9, played a couple side missions. the veterancy for units is like in command&conquer, it doesn't make them superpowerful, just makes them a bit better. The new units are a nice change in strategy from the previous games(specifically the bike and the flare units I've come across so far, don't care too much for the anti-tank unit).

I'm definitely loving the lack of overblown instant win CO powers. They were fun in the first game, but got progressively ridiculous.

The story and character graphics are a nice change as well. They get away from the cheesy kiddy-ness of the first games, yet are still fairly cheesy(if advance wars was cheddar, aw: days of ruin is swiss), it's just a different kind of cheese(a virus that only infects kids makes them brain dead, and sprout flowers? come on...).

They also got rid of the lame automatic top screen battle, and now it just shows info like you'd expect it to(and you don't have to send units up there and what not).

Definitely a nice change for advance wars, that doesn't actually change the core gameplay, just freshens it up a bit.

10. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Loving the music. I did with the previous games as well.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  11. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's already out?! Want!!

12. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I just started playing this last Friday. As a fan of the previous 2 installments, this title was a shock.

It felt like someone took the game, threw it though the mud, washed it in Metal Gear Solid, then sandpapered the finish. I've never had a title feel so gritty and scrappy before. Long gone are the cute colors including battles on fields of green.

You're fighting on ash while finding bodies.

This is awesome.