ADV Macross vs. Animeigo Macross

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DestronGenerals, Apr 2, 2006.

1. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

Has anyone bought the new ADV Macross DVDs and if so how do they compare to Animeigo's release? I haven't seen either so really I'm wondering which set has the better video and translation (as far as the subtitles, i'm not interested in the "new dub") I'm tired of my Robotech DVD's and was wondering what's the best way to get the series: Hunt down the Animeigo set or just get the new ADV's?

2. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I'd just as soon get the ADV ones. Hey, and the English dub for Minmay is the same chick who did her Japanese voice.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Havent seen either myself, but I heard the audio and subtitles are better on the older set.

4. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

It's nice hearing Mari Iijima doing the English Dub on the ADV set.

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :confused2 

6. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

So there is new macross dvds out by Adv? Is Adv the ones that done the robotech series on dvd also? Are these available in boxset or single discs, because I seem to remember the animego ones were boxset only.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

how is the new english dub? is it any good? is it even worth waiting for them all to be released? or is it better to just buy the box set, right now, with out the dub?

8. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i had no idea these were even being released. i thought i'd be waiting forever for an english dub of macross (meaning never). has to be better than nothing at all.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Well it would have to try pretty hard to be worse than the Robotech dub at least, so anyone wanting to upgrade from that shouldn't have too much to worry about if they prefer English dubs that much. Since I prefer to hear the original recording and I've already got the AnimEigo sets, it's not an issue for me. Still, I'd be interested in hearing from someone who does buy it, just out of curiosity.

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, right now only the first two DVD of the new ADV Macross set are out... with DVD volume three coming out in another month. Considering that the Animeigo version is only available in boxset format, I would suggest that you go for the ADV version. Especially if you don't care about the "new dub" that ADV is doing for it. I've seen the Animeigo versions and they used original footage to do their version. The ADV footage seems to be only slightly better though even though it's supposedly "remastered" and all.

However, I would have to say that the new dub is excellent. The fact that they got the original girl whom played Minmei in the Japanese version of Macross to come onboard and do the English version... just awesome... Minmei is actually a likeable character since she doesn't have an annoying VA like in Robotech. Also, Monica Rail is doing Misa Hayase in the new dub and it makes Misa alot more likeable than Lisa... just vocal afflictions really as the script wasn't changed all that much when translated for the Robotech version. However, she wails into Hikaru alot more than Lisa did in Robotech... well, let's just say that her comments are a little bitier...

However, the wonderful moron Vic is doing Hikaru Ichijo (anyone whom watches Full Metal Alchemist will know Vic as Ed...) and it really throws me off... I guess when you've meet an ass VA you just can't appreciate their work... that and Hikaru seems more whiny/cry baby than Rick. And that's translation wise... Hikaru said something about how it "sucks" being in charge and he'd rather be taking orders where Rick just makes a comment about how it's strange to be in charge. So, Hikaru = pussy whiny bitch and Rick = having a tough time, but growing up and getting by.

The one character that I definently prefer the Robotech version of would have to be Roy Fokker. In Macross, Fokker is portrayed as a typical womanizing American stereotype. He's supposed to be a big brother figure for Hikaru, but he really doesn't do anything but rag on him all day long and he doesn't take his position seriously at all. In Robotech, the character was the exact opposite... offering actual advice about women and actually helping Rick learn how to get by in life. And he took his position very seriously, but I guess that's got more to do with personal taste.

11. flamepanther

Wait, what? If you don't care about the dub, wouldn't that be a strike against waiting for the ADV version?

12. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

i don't care about the new dub at all, i just wanted to know which had better quality as far as video/audio and subtitles/translation and i've heard contradicting opinions.

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Could be, but getting them from ADV is cheaper than buying the big boxset. I can't qoute exact prices for the boxset (it was going for about $240 about two years ago) as I've not been looking for it. The ADV one's are $20 a peice.

Thought that I had said something like that in my initial post, but I guess I didn't looking back at it. I shouldn't type when I'm half asleep.

14. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

May I ask if someone can provide a full cast list of who the dub actors are? I'm very curious to Macross dubbed (I've seen Macross Plus and DYRL and loved them), my Macross 1 viewing has just been Robotech and DYRL, and I'm very curious as to the English dub. I know a few posts back someone posted Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay's actors, but does anyone got the cast listing? Thanks.

15. edkwon

edkwon Active Member

I didn't even know she could speak english....well enough for an english dub anyway. I met her a few years ago at a animecon in LA.

Ed

16. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

If you really want a run down of the pros and cons of the new ADV Macross vs the Animeigo Macross go to MacrossWorld and read this thread.

I have the Animeigo boxset and IMO it is the definitive Macross set available. Picture, sound, subtitling is awesome. Don't have any of the ADV discs, yet, but I've heard that the english dub is at best, so-so. Apparently the dialogue has been heavily westernized.

Warning:
    MacrossWorld is a DIEHARD fansite for Macross so if there is anything wrong or different from the original Japanese version you'll hear about it here. Really. ANYTHING.

17. flamepanther

I just finished reading the entire thread. Since it's a VERY long thread, I'll sum up what appear to be the important points for those of you who want the info without the banter, squabbling, and such. Keep in mind this is all second-hand info, as I've not watched the ADV version, dubbed or otherwise.

The dub:
    (I know the thread isn't technically supposed to be concerned with this, but it seemed worth mentioning for anyone interested)
    -It sound like a typical ADV dub job, meaning plenty of forced overacting, nasal or squeaky voices with a few decent performances mixed in.
    -Like most ADV dubs, there is excessive questionable slang tossed into the dialogue. That's "questionable" as in out of place or out of character more than "strong language".
    -Also like most ADV dubs and a great number of other dubs, several words or names are continually pronounced incorrectly, including the word "Macross". I find that a bit apalling. If none of that bothers you, I guess you'll be fine.
    -Mari Ijima's portrayal of Minmay is getting mostly favorable responses, but everyone agrees she has a heavy accent.

Okay, other than the dub...

In favor of ADV
    -The ADV set has better package art. (I can confirm that opinion personally, as I've seen it on shelves)
    -Extras, including the usual "clean" opening and closing sequences and an interview with Mari Ijima.
    -Video quality is about the same as AnimEigo's.
    -A few very minor lines were changed from AnimEigo's subtitles because some fans complained. These include removing an unobtusive Star Trek reference from one of Roy's lines. While I'd prefer the reference not to have been added, it didn't change the intent of the line.
    -A few people have had a problem with their AnimEigo discs spontaneously cracking from the middle. Neither I nor anyone I know has had this problem personally, but some people have, and it is unlikely to exist in the ADV set.

In favor of AnimEigo
    -Great informative liner notes
    -Audio quality is better than the ADV set. People have complained about a significant hiss and crackle in ADV's Japanese audio track.

If I didn't already have a set and I didn't care about the dub, I'd probably go with AnimEigo's set for the audio quality, unless I was worried about the discs breaking.

18. flamepanther

Also while reading the Macross World thread, I came across a rather good description of the dumbing-down of Robotech, which was discussed earlier in the Shadow Chronicles thread here.
    It's pretty blatant, and I don't see how people deny it.

edit: fixed an error.

19. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Is there both a sub and a dub on the ADV disc?

20. flamepanther

Yes, it has both subtitles for the Japanese language track and an English re-dub, as has generally become the standard practice with North American anime DVDs. The sub is supposed to be slightly more literal than the AnimEigo set, but the audio quality on the Japanese language track is lower than the AnimEigo version. It's up to you whether that tradeoff is good or not.