Adults and Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

This question is for the 25+ guy's. How many of you who collect Transformers, find your self playing with these toys like you's were a kid again?
    On some days when I'm bored, nothing good on TV, I find my self picking up a few TF's, and I start playing with them! I start having battles between the Autobots and Decepticons, make sound effects, act all goofy. I enjoy transforming them back and forth, firing off the missiles. Then I feel silly and put them back on the shelves.

Collecting is one thing, but, should we be playing with them like kids?
    So, how many of you "adults" out there still play with your toys?

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I don't really play with them, but I regularly pick one up and fiddle around with him for a while!

3. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's basically what I do too.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    My toys sit quietly on the shelf. Fighting on the living room floor, now that's a different story.

Also, bumping this to TF Toy Discussion.

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i usually will fiddle with them, but i haven't been able to have a battle with them since i was little, my imagination doesn't work that way anymore

6. jtwhoib

jtwhoib Protocol

Ebay:
    I will also take a couple off the shelf at any given time and transform them or roll em around, but no hardcore battles! I don't think I could get myself off the floor if I sat down there!

7. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

This. Though I noticed, in the last 5 or so months, I haven't even done that.

8. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me too :D 

9. Kalel

Kalel C-Mac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    im 23, but i pretty much just transform them now and then and set up poses.

10. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

i hesitated to post this because it comes off a bit trollish, but however you cut it - if a 30 year old still plays in the same way as a 10 year old, they most probably have some kind of learning difficulties.

11. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so you guys dont take them in the tub after mom runs your bath water. splish, splash, bang boom. playing in the tub is fun! Mom says everyone mom does this for their kid over 25?!

wow really?

12. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I wouldn't go that far.........................

Like I said, I do feel silly when I do it, and I don't even do it that often at all. Just there are those times when your really bored and there's not much else to do. And no, I don't have learning disabilities I'm quite educated thank you. High-School graduate, two associates degrees one in Automotive and one in Graphic Design.
    I just have an active imagination. My battles aren't all that big anyway, just a few figures for a few minutes and then put back on the shelves.

13. chugway

Yes. it's not some offhand comment designed to enrage 30 year olds with Optimus Prime duvet covers, it's a basic observation about the differences between children and adults.

The framework for play is completely different, suspension of disbelief becomes a a huge factor for adults, as do the context and themes of the play. And that changes throughout a child's life too - a 3 year old is going to play completely different games to a 10 year old although there may be some superficial similarities.

Personally i'd be inclined to believe that for children the toy represents more of a metaphor for the character, whilst as they get older (and older and older and older) the figure itself becomes the focal point, but that's entirely open to debate.

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't play with mine all that much.
    my hobby is mostly fascination and appreciation for the engineering. I still am impressed with my Alternators figures. they are intimidatingly awesome.

"play" for me is watching the cartoons.

15. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my adult world sounds very boring without any playing @_@ (back to have the autobots topple bruticus)

16. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Last Christmas me and my son had a huge Animated battle underneath the Chritmas tree. It was my Animated tf's vs his Ben 10 stuff. You can never trust Longarm/Shockwave, he is a master at deception. I guess me has a learning disorder. :) 

17. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I'm a fiddler, especially when I'm listening to talk radio. Coast to Coast AM will be on and I'll pull out three or four of the toys and just goof around with them.

18. chugway

oh, don't be so passive-aggressive :) 

I play with my son all the time - it's great fun, but i don't think we're playing exactly the same - my play with him is primarily for his benefit, and to over analyse it to the point of tedium it's structured around him getting the most enjoyment out of it whilst we have a chance to bond and maybe even teach him something awesome.

19. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I fiddle around with them. I put them up together in various poses and battlescenes and stuff like that..
    I don't play like a child with them though.. that would be crazy! Not because it would be immature or anything like that but because you could scuff the paint or break something!

20. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Moderator

News Credits:
    Or, they simply never suppressed the ability to use their imagination.

The problem is, most adults are too embarrassed to admit or show that they could still play like a child. I myself have four children that allow me to still tap into that childhood imagination and not feel weird about it. Although, if I didn't have children I would still feel compelled to play like a child. We will all have our own opinions and that is a good thing, but let me leave you with this.......these Transformers that we all collect are made for children.