Minor/Repaint: Adding Magnetic joints to Junkions?

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by StBrianofMinneapolis, Dec 29, 2011.

1. StBrianofMinneapolis

StBrianofMinneapolis Well-Known Member

Has anyone experimented with using magnets to supplement joints in a transformer? I want to make some repainted, blast-apart and reassembling junkions.

I am mainly inspired by the scene in TFTM where a junkion crashes, gets back up and reattaches his forearm and keeps fighting.

I am hoping to do this with elbow joints my gluing one of three of the following magnets into an elbow. Two would be stuck in the side s of the joind formed by the upper arm, with the third glued inside the elbow joint hole of the forearm.

I havent done the precise measurements, but I think the size in the link below would be close.
    K&J Magnetics - Products

I might also add a magnetic knee joint if possible, but the removable ripped off forearm is the first victory I need.

Attached Files:

2. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    Go for it! And while you're at it, you could try making different arms to attach to the Junkions for added play value. Just a suggestion.

3. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Well, just be sure to only use devcon plastic weld and the right magnets. Mini magnets you can get at Michaels cost around $3 for 6 of em or so.

4. blastpak

blastpak Well-Known Member

I haven't tried magnetic joints but your idea sounds cool. You could even mod the parts so that each one is unique making the junkions slightly more asymetrical

5. Stuntastic

Stuntastic Well-Known Member

I was planning on doing this, but haven't found the right magnets. Hopefully it works out for you, so I can commit to doing this, myself!

6. Kenjo_Cybertron

Kenjo_Cybertron Stalk him, tear him apart

just a thought but a simpler way might be to cut the forearm a bit further down from the elbow joint and put a magnet in the 'stump' and 1 in the forearm.
    you would then get the same poseability of an added 'post' joint and I think it would be easier than what you are proposing.
    just a thought, maybe play with both ideas and see which you like because I dont own that figure to experiment on myself

7. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    this!! obviously ;) 

8. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fantastic idea! I'm eager to see how it works out.

9. Valkyrie Hunter

Valkyrie Hunter Member

Great idea, I suggest using magnets like these: Neodymium cubes. The cubes can be super glued to any right-angled corner with ease. Judging by how strong the bond was between two cubes, I think they can support a good hunk of plastic like a junkion forearm.