Adding Flare to Your Collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shadowbreaker, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Just to start this off, I don't have my collection displayed nicely or anything. Never got around to it the past eight or ten years. I might be moving soon anyway, so I'll probably do it at the new place.

But, for those that actually display their collection, do you anything special that makes your dislpay of plastic pop? Any cardboard standees, store displays, or dioramas?

I'm sure there are some of those in the Collection Showcase Forum, but I just wanted to ask here. :)  Also, anyone have any ideas or plans for a display? It would be fun to share.

2. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have Ikea Detolf shelves that I recently started adding lights to (another Ikea set: "Dioder" which gives you four LED bars at a low price).

I think stuff like lighting is more important than backgrounds. The collection is a mess of colors as it is, you don't need to add more. The very best displays have plenty of room for each figure, while it's impressive to have loads of shelves crammed with figures it takes away the individual looks.

Edit: Showing here:

[​IMG]

3. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    That's a sexy display, I love it. I think you sold me on those Dioders, too.

4. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

I agree. I have four Detolfs and WAY too many figures in them. My problem is that I want to display basically everything I have, but can't afford to buy more shelves. To be honest, though, it's not whether or not I can afford them; it's that I'd rather spend the money on more Transformers. :rolleyes:  Same with the lighting. It looks really nice, but I rather throw the money at more TFs.

5. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have almost all of my collection boxed up and I'm dying to reset it
    The best advice I can give is:

Good lighting

Space your figures(use pedestals and risers as needed)

Have a theme (sort by story, line, character, or color)

Break the flow( walls of shelves can look cluttered, add in posters, frames or bare walls to break it up)

Get creative( props, fishing line, dioramas, and fun poses add slot to shelves

6. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

But seriously, MegaHavok summed it up very well.

7. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

I met a fellow member here who had detolf shelves lining 3 of the 4 walls in his toy room. Probably around 15-20 total all with lighting.

My wife was with me, and after we left, she agreed that I should start saving for some of my own.

Seeing a collection displayed in glass cases, beautifully lit, just makes it look so much more impressive.

8. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    And then, if you're like me, you can recreate some.of your favorite TF MOMENTS....

Attached Files:

9. HulksmashU

HulksmashU Multiversal-Conqueror

Well everyone is going to help you out on backgrounds and what not. i will help you on the other. Break away from msot TF collectors and idsplay your TF's FIGHTING EACH OTHER!! thats what all the other action figure collectors do! standign them front in center can get borring, standing them punching the hell out of osmebody else makes it look cooler!

10. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    dude, visit the collections forum. there are a ton of good ideas there.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't set my display aflame, no. :p  (You wanted to use "flair", not "flare")

Really though, click the link in my sig to my Collection Thread and watch the video(s). While I don't do a whole lot for backgrounds or lighting, I make toys do what toys do best. If I wanted a static, stand-'em-up-straight-and-line-'em-up kind of display, I'd be more into collection G1. But the figures I collect have plenty of articulation and I like to show that off.

12. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    And to think that I passed middle school... Ugh! (Thanks for lighting me know though ;)  )

I will have to check that out. With my laptop out of commission I can't access internet whenever I choose, but I will remember to check.

I've been wanting to get those Ikea shelfs for a while now. I think might get them when I do move.