Customs: Adding articulation to these legs?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Brave Magnus, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Hi, everyone!! This is my very first topic in this section and the ocation is because I just enter the amazing work of repainting and kitbashing. ^^
    First of anything i have to apologize for the cheap resolution of the photos, i took them with my webcam. But to show my point, they work.
    Recently i bought a KO Activator Seeker, it came with...Thundercracker color scheme and after a few coats of layers he is fully white. ^^
    But my main problem is not the color, its ready to turn into a G1 color schemed Starscream. Yay! ^^ I cant wait to reach that part. About my problem: as you can see for the second photo, he lacks the feet and knee articulations. I am not worried for the feet, i know how to fix that but the knees are a complete different manner.
    I already consulted with my friend Phil and SuperQuad7 and both agree what i should use the articulation from another tf figure from the same size and stick it to the Activator. But i am not quite sure to do this yet. XD have a problem with cutting one KO to fix another.
    So far the choice i got is the Cybertron Scout Class Repugnus KO, he has a similar articulations to the ones i need. But even if took those from it and glue them to the SS i have to use something to cover it, right? I mean, it will look kinda weird if i leave it just like that.
    The other option i got from some people in artistic stores saying i should use Parsec modeling clay to make the articulations myself. If i use those, i gotta ask: are those like hard enough? They wont break or anything? I do notice some users using it for some kitbashes.
    Its still monday so i have time to buy the materials i need but til then i am open to all kind of suggestions.
    bye, Guys! As i progresse with this Activator, i will post photos, ok? ^^

Attached Files:

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

SQ7 and Phil have the right idea: Use joints from another source. To use clay on a TF joint is just asking for trouble. Even epoxy wouldn't stand up to that kinda wear and tear.

For me, i love using Flexible pipe/Asoblocks for this sorta thing (be careful, Flexible Pipe doesn't offer 90 degree rotation, but does give a swivel joint, asoblocks does both), and the basic principle is the same using pipe or other scrap figures:

1. Get the joint you want to use (pipe, scrap figure, etc.). Cut it off from the rest of the figure.
    2. Cut the leg in two, at the knee.
    3. Drill a hole in each end (the same size and depth as the joint you intend to use.
    4. Glue the joint it, let dry, and reassemble.
    The advantage of drilling the hole is that you won't need to cover it. Also, it would be a good idea to always measure out how big the new joint is going to be, as the extra length might destroy the transformation (if you don't drill out a hole for it).

Repugnus actually has pretty good articulation, iirc, so he would be almost perfect. Cut him up. Just make sure to adjust Screamer's legs by creating a civity in them to allow for the new joint.

3. Brave Magnus

News Credits:
    Thanks for the reply, Tread! Damn, those Asoblocks sure will be useful now. ^^' I already checked local Ebay pages and nothing. :(  Maybe tomorrow in stores i might be lucky.
    Now you say even Epoxy wont stand the wear and tear but once the KO SS is done will be on display only. Maybe transform in a couple times to show the jet mode. Then he will be proudly standing in my collection. ^^ Anyway, i will take your advice but i still wanna know, i wanna learn as much as i can. ^^
    Thanks for the your help!

4. Treadshot A1

Sure thing. Um, i'd say unless it will be a statue only (not transformed even ONCE), then stay away from Epoxy, clay, or any other sculpting putty thing.

I'd say, though, i probably made a mistake before: I forgot it was an Activator. The Asoblocks will be thicker than the leg of Screamer. Good luck trying to find legit ones outside of Asia, though, just check Creative GD; Anti-Venom iirc posted a thread on KO Asoblocks very recently. By my experience, the ones he listed are fake, so just keep an eye out.

I actually have 3 spare Screamers at home that i was turning into Sunstorm, TC, etc. I'll get home and try out Asoblocks myself (if it works, then it will work on KO's) right after school, if i'm lucky on the homework lottery. ;) 

Also, it would be a very good idea, should you ever buy Asoblocks, to get black ones. White is rubbish because they cannot be painted, and stick out like a sore thumb. Black at least can be hidden with some silver drybrushing, to look like worn Metal. I suppose for this G1 Screamer, white actualy works, but long term, it's best to get Black ones. In my case, i bought an even 50-50, and half a year later, i'm running out of Black and trying desperately to throw out white.

EDIT: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/creative-general-discussion/307861-ko-asoblocks.html

5. Treadshot A1

Okay, looks like my mistake was in thinking that i made a mistake. :D 

Turns ou, after measuring it out, that the Asoblocks joints (socket, there's two lengths, use the short one and you'll be fine) fit perfectly in the lower leg, and it's a simple patter to cut and glue the ball to the upper leg.

Of course, this is all assuming the KO disassembles in the same way the real one does.

6. Brave Magnus

News Credits:
    Hi, Tread! Well, its Tuesday and i bought the KO Cybertron scout. For 5 bucks i say i will do a try. :p  I already painted the upper part of the Activator since that doesnt need any sort of touch up. Its looking good.
    Probably will take photos soon. ^^
    Thanks for all your help!