Addicted?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Rod, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    PLASTIC CRACK, LUV ME SOME.
    No seriously, that's one of the best feelings for me when I'm out on the hunt and I come back with most, if not everything I was looking for.
    Ah...June 2nd, 2007. . .
    DN

2. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Imports only - I collect Imports (Takara) so far only on the MP Line.

Gotta get it first 'no matter the cost - I have done this a few time but have learned to wait.

Only MISB - I Collect 2 of the ones I really really like so I can have an opened and unopened one.

Usual Vault rules apply: Touch lest ye be touched"-Mallrats. I mean YOUR toys are only for display and ONLY you can touch - My Collection is for display only for me to transform and then put back. No one else can touch them.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think I'm an addict.

I'm taking a break between completing the movie line-up and Animated. I haven't bought a new Transformer since September. So far I'm holding up pretty damn well. No cold sweats, no tremors, no impulse buying of vintage toys at BBTS... so far, so good.

4. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Addiction is buying the crappy toys you know you don't even want just because you see it on a shelf.

It's why I ended up with all the movie toys instead of an Xbox 360.

5. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Wow the response is more than I could've hoped thanks for all the input. Now here is part 3 and 4 of my questions.

How old are you and do you see yourself as to old to be this dedicated to your hobby?

Some of you seem very dedicated or addicted to your hobby. To those of you who may describe yourselves as "anal" or compulsive: Do you see yourself ever kicking the hobby/habit of toy collecting perminatly? Even if it is a gradual process?

6. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

I only get what I like and no one can touch them but me. I have some MISB/MOSC but very few. But i do think I am addicted.

7. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Packaging is not critical. At all. I won't get something beat to hell on the store shelf, but that's more out of general wariness than care of the box. Many but not all tend to go in the trash anyway, or I only keep part of them. I have no preference for imports, where TFs are concerned anyway. My other collections would be impossible without importing toys. You tell me the last time KB Toys had Ultraman figures on their shelves...

:tumbleweed: 

Variants, getting it first, hoarding, trampling children? No. I have overdrafted, but not just for toys, and not for hundreds of dollars or anything like that. I have a general idiocy over controlling what I spend at times. I'm working on it.

Sometimes a little of both. Generally, just what I actually like. I've gone the route of the completist before (not TFs), and it rarely brings satisfaction. In fact, I sell off an entire line of toys more often than I complete a collection of them, once I'm sufficiently disappointed or uninterested. Having one single, cool and detailed piece trumps hundreds of POS on my shelf.

I'm 22. Dedication varies from collection to collection. Transformers is not a toyline where I'm in for the long run. In fact, 2008 might be when I call it quits for good, barring the possibility of any must-have Animated toys (I'm not one of the haters) or certain Universe sculpts. Not a case of leaving the fandom, but I was never a big collector anyway. I've owned several times more TFs than I currently own!

Godzilla toys are never ones I buy in great volume in the first place. I met most of my real collecting desires already and the holes in my collection tend to be inexpensive. It's more a matter of time, and whether or not Bandai finally produces something I have to have, like Megalon. Marmit and similar Godzilla toys are too expensive ($50-100+) for me to buy on a regular basis.

Ultraman toys are a somewhat newer interest, but their sheer variety and distinctive characters work in their favor. I almost want to be a completist for the new 2007 line, and since a new series always brings more kaiju or the revival of old favorites, it seems difficult if not impossible to lose interest. They'll be taking the place of Transformers to feed my collecting needs next year, guaranteed.

25th GI Joe was quite unexpected. I'm specifically forcing myself to not buy Joes, and limit my Cobra wants as much as possible. I see very little growth here once I take care of certain wants, if I ever buy more.

I already do with Transformers. All too often these days I buy into the hype and end up with a lackluster figure that I'm "supposed" to love. 20th Prime, Energon Starscream, Bumblebee 2009, it goes on. Others simply can't hold my interest for very long. Still others I have to have for "just because" reasons, not for love of the character (Energon dinos, Cybertron dinos, etc). It's less and less worthwhile to continue the cycle of buying and reselling TFs.

I've not experienced this with Godzilla or Ultraman, nor with Joes because that's too new. But I have burnt out in the past, on the Kenner Aliens line. Maybe a couple others I can't remember.

Nope, probably never. My interests work in cycles at times. When I'm not buying anything else, a new line or an impulse buy of something random fills the void. Otherwise, I go from chasing a toy from one of my hobbies to another. When I phase out collecting something entirely, however, that tends to be permanent.

8. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

In all fairness I feel like I should explain why I'm writing the paper.

As long as I could remember I've been a toy collector. I grew up with He-man, and getting the entire line was no problem becuase my uncle worked for mattel in NJ. at 5 years old I had no reason not to open them and enjoy them fully, parts/weapons got lost but hey I was 5...

Then came TF... was around the same time for me, but He-man was just cheaper, so the folks kept me on that path. I had the staples: Prime, Starscream Soundwave etc, but my favorite by far was smokescreen because my dad had a blue Datsun Z.

Fast forward to about 94/95 and SW POTF2, now I was and still am a HUGE SW geek, so when that line came out I was all over it, and probably for the worng reason, profit. I let greed get in the way of nostalgia. I was working by this time so the money was mine to spend. Eventually I managed to get 2 of each of the orange/red carded figures (I still have a complete set MOSC back home in NJ).

Well, not a full set I was still 1 Princess Leia short. So there I was in TRU world in NJ and I saw a leia in an open case on the floor, SNATCH it was mine! Then two things happend that put the collecting thing in perspective for me. There was a kid, probably no more than 5 on his dads shoulders and he wanted SW toys, specifically the princess. Now I could relate to the kid, I was about 4 when I first saw ANH, and I've been enamored ever since. So I gave him the Princess I had. The dad put the kid down and he's estatic he wanted to open it right then and there, but his dad wouldnt let him. I smiled and walked away. A few mintes later I see the kid in the next aisle over (his dad was over at one of the endcaps) I noticed this tall, round creepy guy staring at the kid, weird, I know. Next I see a grown man in his 30's snatch the toy out of the kid's hand and dash to the register, the kid cries and gets his dads attention, I point the guy out and dad chases him to the register and pushes the guy around a bit till he coughs up the TOY.

That completly halted my collecting, until Alts, the new MOTU, Classics and the MP series' came out... I was back in the collecting game, only this time I open just about everything. But from time to time I do impluse buy and get 2 of certain things (Alt Rodimus, Pepsi Prime, MP SS). I've since bought a few of my favorite G1 characters, All the Alts, MP 01, 05 and a few reissues and movie figs. Im at a good place right now becase aside from a few odds and ends there really isnt much out there I want... that is, until Classics 2

I love the hobby, but I always feel like it will consume me again.

9. -Barricade-

-Barricade- Forza Ferrari!

News Credits:
    I'm a bit with Ferrari diecast and other Ferrari related items, just not as much with TF's.

10. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Plastic Crack? Never heard that before! :lol 

Seriously, I don't feel that I'm addicted to my toy purchasing. I will, however, admit that I have purchased toys that I didn't particularly want just because I was bored and wanted something new.

To answer the questions in order:

I don't feel the need to collect MISB or MIB. They're toys that are (for the most part) mass produced to the point of being freely available everywhere, so why not free them from their packaging and enjoy them. I still have a few that I've kept in the packaging because they're special editions or I like the way they look with the package artwork, but those are the only exceptions.

I will pick up anything that strikes my fancy at the time. With TFTM I was purchasing a lot of movie toys. I've recently been more in the mood for S6 GI Joes and comic book figures.

I'm currently 30 and I've officially considered myself a collector of toys for about 7 years now. There are times when I'll look around in my toy room and think that I'm too old for the hobby, but then I remember how much fun I've had with each one of the toys in the room and realize that you can't apply an age limit to happiness.

I don't buy more than two of a singe toy typically.

I have definitely felt burnt out before, but I'll usually just focus on something else for awhile and see what happens from there.

I could see myself selling most of my toys in the future (why did I purchase RR Megatron anyway?), but I don't forsee completely quitting the hobby.

Hope this helps with your paper!

11. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I'm definatly addicted. When you can't even picture your self not owning something I think that qualifies. I do have some sense of reality though because I know where my limits are. Once apon a time I would have thought it would be insane to spend $150-$200 on a vintage carded G1 Mini-car. But, now I don't even bat an eye, it's almost normal. For the limits though, I may be really into the new Joe figures and have the feeling I must have them all -yet still know I wont pay crazy prices for a PD Destro. If Joes were my main focus/addiction I'm sure that would be a different story.

12. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow, it takes that long huh? guess ill have to look out for another...6 years.

damn ill only complete g1 by the time im 40 :lol 

13. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Addicted?

Not so much as I was back when Beast Wars was new (what I grew up on), but the movie line certainly got me hooked again...though due to funds I've cut back a lot. In the first 2 months of the movie line I bought tons of figures, and over the months after that started to buy less and less. I try to have some spare money to go and pick up a figure or two, but not so much anymore.

Question 2
    I usually go to a store with a good idea of what I want. If they have it, I'll pick it up. If not, I'll see if there is something else I may want (I like to have a fallback in case they don't have the one thing I went for)..and will occasionally pick something else up on a whim. I tend to buy mostly on aesthetic or how "fun" it seems to be. To me a good transformation, espescially if it is challenging, is always a big draw.

Question 3
    I'm 17...nowhere near too old. If future lines have things that catch my eye, I'll still pick em up.

Question 5
    Yeah, there are times I feel I've spent more money than I should have let myself on my toys. Adding up just what I've spent on the movie line..that's a good solid couple hundred plus bucks I could have used on something else (like my somewhat neglected gaming hobby).

Question 6
    Eh, as I said...so long as something catches my eye I'll probably end up grabbing it at some point.

14. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    The term Plastic Crack gets used a lot on these boards, and it leads me to wonder, how many of you are actually addicted to collecting toys? And to what level:
    Only MISB?
    Perfect Cards/Boxes only
    Imports only
    All Variations
    Gotta get it first 'no matter the cost'
    EVERYTHING I can get my hands on (horder)
    Step on a small child to get the toy I want that he/she has!
    "Usual Vault rules apply: Touch lest ye be touched"-Mallrats. I mean YOUR toys are only for display and ONLY you can touch.
    Have you ever over drafted your bank account because you bought too many toys?

My collecting ebbs and flows, mostly based on product availability. Right now it's ebbing, although encore ratchet and ironhide are tempting. I just look for what I want, not worrying about packaging or what not. And I don't harm children.

Question 2
    Im curious, what to you guys hunt for? everything in a particular line or just cool toys (like MP SS).

Mostly just the cool stuff. Going back and forth on DS Vader. Anything Optimus Prime gets my attention. Oddly enough, I really like Robot Heroes, too.

Question 3
    How old are you and do you see yourself as to old to be this dedicated to your hobby?

Quoth (paraphraseth) the prophet Chi Ali: "Age ain't nothin' but a number". Having a baby on the way has made me question my priorities, though. Oh, and the number is around 30.

Question 4
    For some of the horders (buy more than say 3, of EVERYTHING) out there, pnly to keep them stashed away. and the rational behind what they do; profit? or is it OCD?

I guess I hoard, but not usually in multiples. Hoard as in I don't play with the figures (although I will put some out for small children, if they are present).

Question 5
    Ever feel burnt out by the hobby?

Not by the hobby, but I do question why I keep collecting sometimes.

Question 6
    Some of you seem very dedicated or addicted to your hobby. To those of you who may describe yourselves as "anal" or compulsive: Do you see yourself ever kicking the hobby/habit of toy collecting perminatly? Even if it is a gradual process?

I'm neither very dedicated nor addicted (or am I)? :confused2 

15. Destroyer

Destroyer Destruction to all

Adicted?
    Yeah,to a point.I mainly trade for stuff I need and mainly buy complete loose or buy a good lot on occasion to use for barter fodder.I was pretty close to a set when I was a kid.Dream destroyed by mom.Had a few completes I managed to save.I've been collecting socially since 04 and am now more than half way to G1 set.

If you would of caught me back in 99-01 with the Star Wars, Dragon Ball Z and Gundam craze you would catching me spending bill money and rent on toys.I think it was more of filling the void thing.At first I was thinking of starting a small toy shop or on-line site.Then after getting into a few bad relation ships and having to move frequintly and fast I decided to pic one thing I liked alot and only collect that and a few other things.So I mainly collect G1 and a few newer figs that are really cool or comic or G1 based.

I've grown weary of it several times when you can't find that one part or toy you want.When you do it is unreasonable on price.After I finish my G1 set I think I'm done.Might go after a few Japanese rare toys.

All of them will end up going toward my sons collage fund or what ever he wants if I die.(can't ever rule out that posiblitiy with health going down hill)Hope this answers some of your Q's oh,I'm 31 BTW
    Destroyer

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I addicted to toys that have the following features:

i) good sculpt;
    ii) decent articulation;
    iii) playability; and
    iv) appeared in my childhood or have links. Example, TFs, Gundam, ML, DC Direct etc

I'm not really particular of the box condition as I'm not a MSIB-er...I'm more picky with QC such as paint jobs etc.

17. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I don't think I'm as frequent a purchaser as the targets for your questionnaire, but I'll have a go at the questions anyway, maybe you can use it as a counterpoint or summat, heheheh

Question 1

None of those apply to me. I have spent money on TFs and then thought maybe I could have used that for beer, later in the month, but I get over it quickly when I get paid again!

Question 2

I hunt for reasonable quality, reasonably complete G1 on ebay and at car boot sales. They also have to be reasonably priced though. I don't tend to buy anything new these days except for the odd thing on clearance. My movie toys so far have all been gifts.

Question 3

I'm 28, I don't feel too old to buy TFs, if I did I wouldn't buy them. But then I'm not as dedicated as those you are aiming these questions for.

Question 4

Never bought more than 1 of any TF.

Question 5

Nope. I still feel terribly excited when I get a new G1 figure, possibly because it's not that often.

Question 6

I may give up one day, who knows? At this point though, I'd still like to complete G1 from 1984 to 1990. I have a looooooooong way to go.

18. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    eh, I go through stages of what I collect. At first it was Energon, Armada, and Cybertron. Then last spring I jumped and sold them and bought G1 and Alts and classics and G2. Now I am primarily just into MPs, Movie, Alts, and my new found love, robotech.

My collection is fluid that way!

19. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [*]Only MISB? Most of the time, but then I open it.

[*]Perfect Cards/Boxes onlyI like good condition packaging, but not firm.

[*]Imports onlyTakara does put out a lot of good stuff, but I'm flexable.

[*]All Variations If they are cool.

[*]Gotta get it first 'no matter the cost'Not first, but I do like to get things when they first come out, I hate hunting.

[*]EVERYTHING I can get my hands on (horder)No.

[*]Step on a small child to get the toy I want that he/she has!Kids first.

[*]"Usual Vault rules apply: Touch lest ye be touched"-Mallrats. I mean YOUR toys are only for display and ONLY you can touch.Very true, no one touches ma toys!

[*]Have you ever over drafted your bank account because you bought too many toys?No, but I probably could have paid off my student loan by now.

Question 2
    Im curious, what to you guys hunt for? everything in a particular line or just cool toys (like MP SS). Just cool toys, but the Joe 25th line and Sideshow Star Wars line are something I would be interested in completing.

Question 3
    How old are you and do you see yourself as to old to be this dedicated to your hobby? I'm 24, and you are never to old, I'm out of the toy closet.

Question 4
    For some of the horders (buy more than say 3, of EVERYTHING) out there, pnly to keep them stashed away. and the rational behind what they do; profit? or is it OCD? No I only get one of each toy. I end up trading any extras I do get.

Question 5
    Ever feel burnt out by the hobby? YES! Only because they keep making cool stuff and it always comes out at the same time.

Question 6
    Some of you seem very dedicated or addicted to your hobby. To those of you who may describe yourselves as "anal" or compulsive: Do you see yourself ever kicking the hobby/habit of toy collecting perminatly? Even if it is a gradual process? I don't want to kick it and never will. Thats like asking If I'll ever get tired of boobies:)