Addicted?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Rod, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

The term Plastic Crack gets used a lot on these boards, and it leads me to wonder, how many of you are actually addicted to collecting toys? And to what level:
    • Only MISB?
    • Perfect Cards/Boxes only
    • Imports only
    • All Variations
    • Gotta get it first 'no matter the cost'
    • EVERYTHING I can get my hands on (horder)
    • Step on a small child to get the toy I want that he/she has!
    • "Usual Vault rules apply: Touch lest ye be touched"-Mallrats. I mean YOUR toys are only for display and ONLY you can touch.
    • Have you ever over drafted your bank account because you bought too many toys?

Question 2
    Im curious, what to you guys hunt for? everything in a particular line or just cool toys (like MP SS).

Question 3
    How old are you and do you see yourself as to old to be this dedicated to your hobby?

Question 4
    For some of the horders (buy more than say 3, of EVERYTHING) out there, pnly to keep them stashed away. and the rational behind what they do; profit? or is it OCD?

Question 5
    Ever feel burnt out by the hobby?

Question 6
    Some of you seem very dedicated or addicted to your hobby. To those of you who may describe yourselves as "anal" or compulsive: Do you see yourself ever kicking the hobby/habit of toy collecting perminatly? Even if it is a gradual process?

This is open to all sorts of collectors; TF SW Marvel/DC Hot Wheels

2. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

No on all counts.If i see it in a store,i will get it.Maybe i just enjoy the hunt to much to get any thing online.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    im generally a g1 completist plus buying the occasional cool modern/current stuff. but my pattern seems to be working with a list for the former and monthly spending on the latter.

as in, at least once a week ill scout around to see if theyres anything to buy, if i dont buy anytthing within 2 weeks i get edgy. *fidget*

4. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    No to all.

I'm in for the rush of the hunt, and the joy of my "prey".

5. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    lucky draws and rare exclusives. and yes, my wallet really does hurt. like emergency room, I have pain in my chest, kinda hurt.

6. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    G1 MIB :( 
    Wallet can't handle it.

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No to all!

I smelt deteriorating PVC figures and the stench did something to my brain. I think I am going that way from now on.
    (I'm kidding, just in case anyone takes it seriously)

I am more like addicted to opening new toys.

8. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    I'm a spur of the moment guy now. I pretty much have gotten everything I wanted, sold it, re-bought, re-sold...again, rinse, repeat. I
    m on my fourth "cycle" now. Maybe that's why Power Rangers/ Super Sentai has caught ,my attention. Alot of new robots for me

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    No to all. I just enjoy the hobby and fiddling with new TFs

10. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

The main reason I ask is because I've met all of these types of folks, most of them are Hot wheel collectors but I've met TF and SW ones too. The ones I've run into tend to be the biggest jerks Ive ever met, in and out of the hobby.

Im curious, what to you guys hunt for? everything in a particular line or just cool toys (like MP SS).

I'd like to hear from some of the horders (buy more than say 3, of EVERYTHING) out there, pnly to keep them stashed away. and the rational behind what they do; profit? or is it OCD?

Ever feel burnt out by the hobby?

and in case some where wondering why I'm asking so many questions, it's because Im writing a Psych paper. I dont mean any offense.

11. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Yes yes yes. This is exactly it.

However, I do love the hobby, and it's happened a time or two when I spent money I shouldn't have on it. :) 

12. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Personally I hunt for G.1 and Movie 2007 toys. I just completed my Cybertron/Galaxy Force collection, well not 100% complete, but complete enough for me since I got the figure I want.
    The rest like masterpieces I also collect because they're cool.
    I only buy one of each toy unless I'm collecting some variations of the toys etc.

Burnt out ? hmm no...

13. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

i just buy what i like, as long as i can afford them.

14. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i feel burnt out by collecting G1. give me something new that mostly no one else has. thats what I'm thinking when i make a purchase. but the cybertron line is the closest thing that brings the feeling of joy to my heart nowadays. fantastic line.

15. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure I would say I'm "addicted", but I definately go overboard at times.

I'm pretty anal when it comes to the condition of the items I buy. I always pour over the details when buying items @ retail...going over each and every specimen I can find to make sure I find the "perfect" one.

I'm not necessarily a MISB collector, but if it's sealed and the price is deemed reasonable I can't say that I wouldn't buy it.

I love the international packaging that other countries get on most items. In some cases I skip the domestic release in favor of the int'l release solely for the packaging.

I used to go out of my way to get items first, but money is tighter now having got married and built a new house this year. It is hard though trying to shake the urge to buy every new toy I see on frequent stops @ Wal-Mart or Target.

Again, I used to buy everything TF related. Since the movie however there is simply more stuff than I can afford or have a place for.

I can't stand collector's who bowl over others, esp. children to get a toy. Toys are meant for children, not us fanboy adults. Without kids, we wouldn't have TFs...so I try to keep it all in perspective.

Yeah, I usually don't like others touching my toys...but I have "trained" my wife so she's permitted.

Unfortunately I have got a few NSF fees b/c of TFs. I can remember when I bought a nice MIB Roadfire TF on eBay in High School. My paycheck was set on direct deposit, but it turned out to be a smaller check than I thought it was going to be and ended up not having enough to cover the transaction. Since then though, I've been MUCH more discipled w/ my money and hobby purchases.

16. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I used to be addicted. There was a point in my life where I was going to ebay checking for G1 deals litterally 30 times a day. I dont do that anymore, thankfully.

17. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Hi, I'm Gary and I'm addicted to toy collecting.

I recently completed my G1 collection after almost 10 years. It all started when ebay came out I think in '98 or so... I was like, "I wonder if I could get an original Prime that I had when I was a kid?" Which I did, and this was before the reissues had started, so I started getting "a few more of my fav characters" which eventually snowballed into: "I NEED all of them, and they all need to be complete" I have cycled though many of them, upgrading to better conditions, unapplied, etc.

I can never really say I'm done with G1, because I will probably still get e-hobby variants, KO's of Diaclone/Pre TF toys, Japanese exclusive G1, etc.

Then it escalated even more when RID hit. Found these boards in 2000 or so, and I have bought almost every domestic "main line" toys (RID,Armada,Energon,Cybertron,Movie) as well as all the collector aimed stuff Reissues, E-Hobbys, WSTF's, PVC's, Classics, Botcon stuff, all the Alts and the BT variants that were not alts, and of course every Masterpiece to date.

If there is nothing out that I want or don't already have for TF's at the time, I will buy something to get my fix. I buy SW stuff sometimes, not so much anymore...hotwheels (mostly the collector ones from Johnny Lightning, etc.) 1/18 die cast, which I have quite a big collection of those, LEGO's, you name it.

Lately, the 25th 'Joes have kept me quite busy, and thank God they are pretty cheap. I still go toy hunting regularly, hitting WM and Target right when they open, etc.

So, I guess I'm a little (or a lot) OCD about toys, but I justify that by telling myself how I'm not blowing money partying, doing drugs, alcohol (ok, maye a little, err a lot of alcohol at Botcon ;) )

Despite all this, though, I have always kept up on my bills and such. I've maxed out Credit cards a few times, I ended up refinancing my house and paid them off, and I keep them in check now.

I tell myself I'm gonna lay off the Animated toys, but, I don't know...

18. nintendofreakgc

nintendofreakgc Bumblebee fan

Well, I basically just buy what all the stuff that's in the overlap of "what I can afford", "what I want" and "what I can find" (I don't buy online, because I'm afraid that my spending would get out of control).

I once overdrew on my bank account, but that was due to an error a store made on an unrelated purchase. I never did get it sorted out properly, but my dad gave me an advance on my allowance to make up the difference, so no harm done.

19. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

If it's G1 or related material... those are my most prized possessions!

20. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I was addicted to Alternators, now that I have all of them I feel better about it though.