Addicted ...toys... or the hunt?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by JinraiPrime, Feb 17, 2007.

1. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I made a statement a while back in another thread stating that "I may be more addicted to the hunt, anticipation, and opening of the package" then i am to the actual toy. After seriously thinking it over i realize i get unmeasured joy possibly more than i do out of actually admiring the toy .....out of a) seeing that little envelope in the corner flashing showing me that someone is offering me something 2) anticipation of getting a package in the mail, checking tracking numbers constantly 3) the local hunt, i never find anything but its the CHANCE that i might that is thrilling and 4) opening the package/toy... twist ties and all its like a high.... so my question is Transfans and collectors in general... is it the toy or the anticipation of the toy, or is it the hunt the closing in on the prey.. that really drives you.

EDIT: Ok so that being said what was your greatest hunt that you fulfilled and the path you took to get there?

For me I remember just nonchalantly walking into Wal-Mart looking for nothing in particular and went to the toy aisle.... and what should i see Cybertron Metroplex and Primus.... only 4 there and in this city they go like they were never there to begin with. If i had missed them the hunt would have taken me over 2 months before they returned.

The hunt that ive enjoyed the most was for RID Scourge though... hes always just been kinda off to the side for some reason, but i put out an SOS and Soundwave.ca answered and now he stands aside my G2 Jp. Laser Convoy :D 

2. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Both actually. Who doesn't enjoy a good treasure hunt? But you also enjoy the treasure too. I think Shortpacked and the "Hunt for Alt Prowl" strips are coming to mind right about now.

3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    The toy is what I want, I hate hunting,lol. That's why I've pretty much given up going store to store(unless I'm really bored) and buy my stuff online.

4. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    That is a tough one. While I find hunting unsuccesfully to be very frustrating. There is a great feeling when you find that hard to find item on your own in the store. Finding Classics Jetfire, the UM/SW 2 pack and Grimlock was awesome. The anticipation of waiting for a mail item kills me, It seems like it takes forever. But overall I don't feel disappointed once I have a figure in my hand(unless it is a sucky one, which I try to avoid) I still pull my re-issue Soundwave off the shelf a few times a week and I have had it since December.

So for me I guess it is actually the toy itself.

This week G1 Megs.

5. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

For me its both. Both the hunt, the anticipation and the toys themselves.
    Most of my hunt is online and I like getting those packages in the mail. What I hate about it is the waiting for the mail to arrive.

6. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Same thing for me, Any stores i have in my area are crappy and have nothing all the time. I still go up and hunt when i get bored, but i think i enjoy the drive more then never finding anything good. Thank god for the internet my TF collection would be nowhere without it.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Heh. If I was addicted to the hunt, I'd be climbing the walls most of the time. It's definitely the toys for me.

8. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    Admitidly, I too am addicted to the hunt. The anticipation, Even the disappointment.....knowing that the next time could be the pot -o-gold. My most memorable "zap and trap" was Alt. Optimus Prime. he took a while to find. And when I did find him some guy tried to take him right out of my hand. IT DID NOT WORK !!!:duel 

9. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I remember collecting all the LoC figs... and a Op passed through my fingers moments before i got to the shelf... i had a sunstorm in my hand.. so i asked my buddy miraisoup to ask the elderly gentleman if he would mind switching ops for sunstorm... he had no idea who they were he was just buying it for his grandson so he said no problem... and i was a happy man, i like LoC ops.

10. lordsidious001

lordsidious001 Well-Known Member

the hunt builds the hype for the figure or the peice that your looking for. the hunt some times can get very anoying. so i would have to say that im addicted to both.
    it's fun to go out and look and it pays off when you find something. the best was classic jetfire i wasn't even looking for tfs i was out x-mas shopping. the pain in the a$$ one was classic grimlock.

11. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Oh me likes this thread...good topic...

I equally enjoy three parts of the "process"...

Anticipation...seeing images on the interent of a TF you really want...it gives you sometihing nice to look forward to...

The hunt...combing stores near/on the TF's release date...trying to find one before the first batch is sold out...when you turn the corner and see what you're looking for on the shelf...heck yeah... :rock 

Displaying...then of course having the figure...whether loose or MISB...you can proudly show your achievement...

I never really order online from toy stores...just ebay whenever the TF i'm looking for is no longer in stores...

Greatest hunt...probably using the item number on the classics UM/skywarp two pack...getting the toy section guy to pull it from the back...

12. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

I'm not a fan of the hunt. Wasting gas never seemed fun to me.

13. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Both.

Sometimes its the hunt. For example, I've been scouting TRUs for a while now trying to find the Classics/Reissue Soundwave, and I finally saw him for the first time this morning. I never really had any intention of buying him, I just wanted to find him. Dunno, maybe that sounds like a waste of time. But, I do post my sightings here on TFW and on www.unicron.com to help others find what they're looking for, and I'll often stash things and clue peeps in to where I hid them. Mwa ha ha ha!

On the other hand, there have been plenty of times where I just wanted to get the toy. Since I only buy what I actually want (as opposed to being a completionist), it is about the toys as well.

14. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    For me, it's both as well. I'm pretty selective about the toys I buy (only a handful from each line), so I'm very much interested in the toys I buy. I very seldom buy toys online because I like to see the toy in the package before I buy it to make sure there are no obvious defects. Because of this, I spend quite a bit of time hunting for TFs I want, but I enjoy the process. I'm generally pretty patient, so I don't mind waiting awhile; the only real disappointment is finding a toy that I've been looking for only to discover that it's too flawed for me to want to buy.

15. Black Omen

Black Omen Well-Known Member

The hunt use to be OK for me until other people kept buying up all the stock so they could sell it on eBay for a higher cost.

My new hunt is typing in a name in a search menu on toy web sites.

16. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    please tell me you have a link to that one!!!

17. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Well the initial finding of an item is a huge thrill, a rush of happiness. So there is an illusion that the hunt is more rewarding.... but that tiny little feeling you get when you look over your collection of treasures adds up over time. If you add up all those little bits, I'd say it's the items themselves that bring more pleasure in the end.

My greatest hunt was for a Diaclone BLue FairladyZ ( Blue Bluestreak). Finally won one from a Japanese auction, which a friend of mine bid on proxy style for me. Frankly getting one from Japan was just about the only way I could ever aford one. Best money I ever spent... and to this day it's my most prized posession.

18. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The hunt is just a major pain in the ass.

19. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
  20. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can totally relate to these two statements. Because for me, the hunt is part of he fun. At least 50%...maybe more.