added thoughts about the movie *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Chaos Prime, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I saw the movie again for the second time. And I have to admit, it was actually better the second time around. This time I went with another friend who knows almost nothing about Transformers. Only what I tell her, and even then she forgets most of it.
    I was still critical about the movie, and still made a check list of things I liked and didn't like about the movie. And a few observations I made.
    So if their are still some of you who still haven't seen the movie yet, I'm going to make
    *SPOILERS*

+I liked all of the moving gadgets on Optimus. You know, like on his head that thing that would swivel, or a part moving on it's own, I kinda liked that. I'm sure these moving parts were on some of the other characters as well, but on Optimus it was more noticeable.

+ I also did like how the animators pulled off the Autobots faces. How the mouths would move, and the nose twitch, every part of the face was it's own moving object, and they worked together to create the facial expressions. Again, I liked their use of that.

+ I'm also glad (with the exception of BB and Prime) they did away with the 'battle mode' head. BB did it every once in a while, and Prime should have kept his on at all times (I don't really have a problem with Primes mouth anymore, but he does look better with the mask). But the others didn't use theirs, or they were already on, and just didn't shift back. Either way, I'm happy they stuck with one face.

+ The Mountain Dew bot. Yea, I liked him! They'd better make a toy of him.

- I'm still not too happy with a lot of the action scenes. When Flimzy was moving around, or BB and Barricade were wrestling, or Ironhide dodged a rocket, they just had too much motion blur. And that tells me two possible things. Either A: Micheals Bay's a lousy director, and went over board with the special effects Or B: The animations were purposely rendered w/ too much blur to cover mistakes that they didn't want the audience to see. They're the only two that I can think of.

- Frenzy. I mean Flimsy. AARGH that little POS had the most lines out of all of the Decepticons in the movie, and he was the most annoying thing to have to watch. Barricade had the second longest lines, and all he's talking about is freeking Ebay!

- Jazz getting killed. That sucked. It was such a meaningless death, and I really didn't like the way Prime just shrugged it off. When Megs shows up Ironhide and Ratchet are like, 'Oh no, we're wimps! Let's run!' And Jazz went and tackled him head on. And what did he get for it? A 2 second death scene then off to the scrap heap. I call party foul on that one.

+ Did like the scene in Sams backyard. That was only real attempt at character development for the Autobots. I liked how they interacted with each other; Ratchet and Ironhide seemed to be shoving each other for some reason, and BB 'SHHing' Optimus, I really enjoyed that scene bc it helped establish the characters a little better then just introducing them, which was pretty much all the Decepticons had. Which brings me to another minus.

- I noticed something during the final battle of the movie, and with fight between BB and Barricade. Where were the insults? Where was the 'I'll kill you Autobot!" line? You know. Especially during the final battle, The only two talking was Prime and Megs, and they kept it to a minimum. The Transformers always talked during battle, and this time they just didn't have anything to say to one another. I think the lack of insults, and threats during the fight scenes was a contributing factor for the pitiful character development in the movie.

- Speaking of no liners how about Bonecrusher. Wow did he go down like a bitch. Bonecrusher really disappointed me. Bonecrushers role in the movie is what I like to call, the Greivous Effect. A character who I was hoping would be such a badass was in reality just a pushover.

+I did really like Primes speech at the end. I don't really know what else to say about that, but I liked it.

- Human characters > Transformers. That's not cool. The more people that were introduced the less the movie focused on the Transformers. Again, this is probably why the character development was so bad. The intellectual teenagers in the Pentagon, could have gone.

= And this last one I just thought was amusing, I think the humans actually killed more Decepticons then the Autobots did. Let me see.
    Blackout: humans
    Brawl: Humans, and BB with the assist
    Flimsy: himself, with help from the humans
    Scorponok: injured by humans
    Barricade: MIA
    Bonecrusher: Prime
    Megatron: humans
    So...yea only one character was killed by an Autobot, and that was Prime.
    He couldn't even kill Megatron. Sam with the help of the US airforce did his job for him. Which btw Megs also went down like a bitch.

Anyway. These are just some observations I made between both my first and second viewing of the movie. Did I still like it? Yea, I liked it better actually. It's still a B movie to me, mostly bc of lack of characters development. But I'm going to see it for a third time. My dad actually wants to see it with me. And he thinks Transformers is the stupidest thing in the world. But of course he loves the Hulk and the Fantastic Four. LOL! Go figure.
    Oh yes, and my friend loved the movie btw. Even though when she saw Megatron, all she could think of was Jazz hands!

2. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

I'm read your wall of text until you made factual errors, after that I couldn't be bothered.

3. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Though I do agree it is a wall, but where are the errors and I shall correct them. They'd better not be spelling errors, bc I checked a dozen times.

4. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

You checked for spelling errors, but could make a few line breaks?

And I didn't say spelling errors, anyways, ugh.

5. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I'm assuming you meant 'couldn't' instead of 'could'
    But thank you for the constructive crit. :) 

6. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

ZecksKitty, I'm try understand your post.
    Please identify some of these factual errors.

7. BlackTrailerOps

BlackTrailerOps Motor Boatin S.O.B.

I gotta say it "Um, what factual errors?" Maybe, just maybe you should go see the movie again, because everything he said was spot on straight from the movie. Or maybe perhaps you saw Live Free or Die Hard and thought it was Transformers. You never know, but maybe you should try backing up your factual errors claim instead of being a smart@$$.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

On my second viewing, I had to ask myself how was Starscream able to fly off into space has a jet fighter. I'm guessing he'd go back to protoform mode once leaving the atmosphere, but the impression is that he's gonna fly through space has a jet, which is impossible.

And good points Choas. Much of what you said also bothered me about the movie.

9. BlackTrailerOps

BlackTrailerOps Motor Boatin S.O.B.

There was something along those lines that I wondered about: How did the Transformers not become disabled in space, space is whole hell of a lot colder then anywhere on the planet, right?

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Only thing I disagree with is Frenzy. I found him to be a pretty entertaining piece of scrapmetal-held-together-with-rubberbands. Actually surprised about that part myself. Oh, also, Megatron had FAR more lines then Barricade.

But yeah, next movie, 'cons need character and hackers, nthx.

I think it's been pretty much confirmed Starscream changed mid-flight in that last scene. He became much more delta shaped as opposed to the F-22's diamond silhouette.

11. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

Barricade had the second longest lines, and all he's talking about is freeking Ebay

First factual error I met in his post, stopped reading afterwards. If his complaints are so outlandish and rant-esque they're out of the realm of reality, I'm not going to read anymore. So, nice on there with the personal attacks, and lack of reading comprehension.

I don't understand what's hard to believe about an alien robot flying into space as a jet. It's super magic technology.

12. smkspy

Like I said, I figured he went into protoform mode at somepoint for the long flight through space. The only reason I thought about that was I happened to have watched the whole History Channel Science of Star Wars, and how they said X-Wings could never really fly through space unless they had engine everywhere.

13. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

WHAT??! X-Wings aren't real? They can't really fly through space?? Damn, my whole childhood has been shattered!

Seriously, I wondered too about Starscream breaking atmo, but I just figured he'd had an upgrade since the 1980s. It's not like everything in the movie is entirely realistic. ;) 

As for the cold-in-outer-space thing and Megatron and Bumblebee being frozen, that's been hashed over some here:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=140895
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=141455

14. smkspy

It was a good program. It had scientists talking about what is and isn't possible in the real world and what was featured in films like SW and Spider-man. I really hope they do a Science of the Transformers version.

15. Chimeran

Chimeran Well-Known Member

Space doesn't work like that.

16. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

So let me get this straight. That was your 'factual error'? I wasn't exactly countling lines you know. Barricade was the first con to actually speak.
    So ok, maybe Megs actually had the longest lines out of all the cons, but I still think Barricade spoke the longest sentence out of all of them.
    I think you may be confusing my brand of sarcasm for ranting. I was merely pointing out things I liked and what I didn't like about the movie, that's all.
    But either way, my 'factual errors' don't deserve your kind of attitude. If you want to respond to anything you think I'm wrong about, go right ahead, that's fine, but leave the attitude behind. Thanks! :) 

17. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

If you're perceiving attitude from typo riddled text on a forum, you're doing it wrong.

I don't like to read complaints that get so caught up in themselves that mistake are made, geez! :D 

18. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    Zecks, knock it off, you're no perfect poster yourself.

If you don't like it, don't read it and don't bother responding saying you don't like it.

It's really that simple.

19. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I wanted to add a few more items to my list. I was thinking about the movie today at work and a few more thoughts popped in, both good and bad about the movie.

+ As much as I don't like Ironhide and Ratchet from their concept sketches, and the toys, I like them in the movie. Once again, seeing them animated, and moving around, I got more of a sence of the characters. The Ratchet toy looks weird to me, and i'm not a huge fan of it. Ironhide, in toy form is a good toy, but he looks more badass than Megatron does to me. But again seeing them in action was nice suprise for me.

+ Bumblebee was a design I was very at odds with. I didn't like the idea, he had to speak through the radio, and I didn't like the idea that he was a Camaro. After seeing the movie, I warmed up to him more. That's it on BB I suppose.

- Megatron. Still not a huge fan of Megs unfortunately. To me he was still an anime monster. Though Weavings voice was ok, I didn't like that Megs was a nobody untill the very end of the movie, and then he died. I mean Megs really got shafted all the way around.

+ And I think last but not least, I liked the idea that Optimus called Megatron his brother. Whether he meant that as metaphorically, or literally, it was an interesting idea, and that got me thinking. Good stuff, that was.

Ok, that's all, I just wanted to tack that onto the end.

20. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

In the post you responded too I said my posts were full of typos. And he asked for criticisms, and everyone demanded I provide support for my statements. I'm sorry, ok?