Actually, surprisingly more crude than I recall...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Feb 1, 2010.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Hi!

I watched ROTF last night after not seeing it for a couple of months. After a little time away, I felt like I could get a fresh viewing out of it after reading post upon post of varying opinions. It's always been a situation where I love the movie, but I know at the back of my mind I'm letting alot of stuff slide.

Well, I did get a decently fresh viewing of it, but one thing really stood out.
    Now don't get me wrong. I do like alot about the movie and I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. It's just a 100% honest reaction I had from watching it again last night.

This movie is really crude. Way more so than I recall. I guess in the theater it didn't strike me so much, the "General Audience" was laughing at all the places they were supposed to, and I guess I was so awestruck at the awesome robot action I was willing to pay it no mind. And when I say crude, I mean Armpit-fart-noise, deep south racist, laugh at Larry the Cable guy kinda crude.

Look, I'm not trolling. There's a part of my brain that is partitioned, and dedicated to looping the Shanghai scene, and everything from Megatron's resurrection to the end of the forest battle. That stuff is pure, unharnessed win.

But here's the things that I recall from last night that stood out. I didn't make notes or anything, these were just my "ok; seriously?" moments:

-The dogs humping; twice.
    -Treats sexuality like a 13 old would think. Don't get me wrong, I like a little sexy, but this is just trashy. Through the whole movie.
    -Although I didn't mind Skids and Mudflap at first, they do have some really...questionable dialogue.
    -Leo gets called a Shrimp Taco.
    -Leo's hair gets called chia pet.
    -Casual use of the P word.
    -Simmons works in a freakin New York deli and wears a shirt that says Reuben.
    -We get a nice long Simmons butt shot.
    -We get two farting robots, Wheelie fire, Jetfire a parachute. Do one of the kitchen bots fart? If so that's 3.
    -Sam's mom talks about him popping his cherry. Wtf.
    -The conversation with the guard in Egypt, who first gets made fun of for being a lil guy, then allows them through the checkpoint because of a conversation about Falafel.
    -Simmons' hair gets called Pube fro.
    -Of course, giant balls.
    -Pants around the ankles, talking about about taking a crap, followed by nut tazing.
    -Face in crotch, simultaneous Mikaela butt shot. That's getting creative! Way to cram in the smut, obviously a pro director to multi task like that.

Even the final scene, the defeat of the Fallen, was crude in it's violence, we don't see Prime defeat the Fallen in some manner of heroic display, we see him put a spear through his jaw, tear his face off, and as his skeletal form is crawling away, gets a fist put through it as lava runs out of his mouth. *The original scene featured Prime mutilating the Fallen as we see, but then as Judas Priest music starts to play he puts his fist in the air, makes a devil sign and headbangs as satan descends from a portal in the sky, as Mikeala and Alice have a wet Tshirt contest while the dogs continue humping. The end. Oh, and Wheelie farts fire one more time as Stone Cold Steve Austin drinks beer.

Even Bumblebee gets in on the bloodlust by not simply shooting Ravage with a missile or gun, or hitting him, he picks him up and in slow motion RIPS HIS GUTS OUT by his tail.

I don't know, it's like Orci and Kurtman brought in a pretty cool sci fi oriented Transformers story involving elements of the past, and then they handed it over to some crazy, masturbating 15 year old boy with a keyboard from the depths of Alabama to edit as he saw fit.

For some reason before, I just blew alot of it off as being just a big hollywood movie that has to cater to dumb people, and left it at that, and just enjoyed the Cybertronians.

But after recently seeing a few other "big name Hollywood sci fi blockbuster movies", I realized they had moments that made me laugh out loud, touching little comedy moments, but neither of them had this crude, neanderthal, inbred sense of humor. I seemed to remember a few rough moments in the theater, but watching it last night it just never stops.

How many of the characters are comic relief?

Both parents
    Alice is kinda funny-ha-ha with the tongue and Bumblebee scene
    The professor in college
    Leo, as well as the other r.e.d.com guys
    Skids
    Mudflap
    Simmons
    Jetfire
    The govt official that gets parachuted out of the plane
    The Doctor
    All of the kitchen bots
    Both of Devastators balls (Hey, I'm calling them characters, they had as much personality as Jolt)
    Deli guy, checkpoint guy, museum guards, pretty much any other non-military person in the film, and even then Epps is reduced to nothing but bad stand up comedy one-liners.
    Even alot of Sam's scenes are comic relief.

I've heard of having a comedy relief sidekick, but SHEESH!

I understand the need to balance the movie out with some comedy so it's approachable to your average person, I agree with the idea. Even I don't want to see 2 1/2 hours of nothing but robots fighting, but it really is relentless throughout most of the film. It's like ILM made a badass movie, then Bay and co. took parts of it, and spliced it together with various Wayans comedies, and a little bit of Armageddon and Independence Day. But mostly Wayans comedies.

I'll use Simmons as a Trashy Humor Compass.

The fact that it's Simmons in the first place: funny, simple
    The toothless joke in the deli: seriously?
    "Do not tell my mamma": Ok, pretty funny, I laughed. Silly.
    Butt and jockstrap shot: *compass breaks
    "One man, alone, etc" Funniest thing in the movie imo.
    "My name is Reuben" shirt: *shakes head
    Scene in Egypt regarding calling NEST, and Sam suggests Simmons calls, his reaction is great. Naturally funny.
    "I am directly below the enemies scrotum". We just saw giant robot testicles, but Bay goes for the double-dip joke, getting a verbal joke as well as a visual one. Kudos. Mr. Bay. Seriously, pick one. Show balls, or make a joke about balls. We have two ball jokes, yet don't know 2 things about the Fallen.

Or, another equation could be:
    Sam having breakdown with symbols: funny
    Wheelie humping Mikeala's leg and following dialogue: NO

So, as you can see, it's about 50/50. You could've taken out most of the really low brow inbred humor, and still would've had plenty of funny left.

I mean it really is astonishing to think of how Michael Bay views the world. It's eternally 6th grade, all girls look like they work at Hooters, the army is totally awesome and stuff, everyone is a racial stereotype, and people over 40 are like, totally old and say "Sh!t" alot.

I started to think of the idea of something like ILM doing visuals, but something along the lines of a Pixar movie. A movie that is for all ages, yet still funny in a clever way. Something with heart and soul, epic, but relatable. Entertaining, but with an emotional core.

There's a cool TF movie buried in ROTF, though. There's some amazing scenes. And again, there's plenty of comedy stuff to leave in. It's just...wow...it's almost like I saw a different movie. Not sure why I saw it so much more objectively, but I don't really have anyone in RL that would appreciate it to talk to, so there it is.

*watches as hawks descend to rip thread apart

2. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

It's a Michael Bay movie. That's really all that needs to be said. Expecting sophisticated, highbrow humor in one of his films would be like handing Uwe Boll the script to Schindler's List and expecting it not to end in a tank chase through the streets of Berlin and a Mexican standoff with bazookas involving the eponymous character, Hitler, and Stalin. :p 

3. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    I get it, I expect that, but it's present through the whole film, it never lets up, I guess that's one thing that struck me, at least the first movie spaced it out a little, and had funny stuff that wasn't dirty or stereotypical.

4. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, I've only seen a handful of Michael Bay movies, but in each of them, I see recurring stock characters and stereotypes: the skanks, the ebonics-spouting African-Americans, the obnoxious fat guy, etc. I suspect that, after how well the first movie did, everyone figured that Michael Bay could do no wrong and they just decided to do away with all sense of restraint and go completely over the top. Mission accomplished, I guess...?

5. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Spoiler tags, please! :bay 

6. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

It's funny, because earlier in your monologue, I thought you weren't trolling. Then about halfway through, you basically just copypasted every "I hate the humor" post in this forum.

Personally, yes, I agree about the humor. I think there are some moments that are totally uncalled for- however, I think your mileage may vary. I was okay with the majority of the Twins ramblings- they were trying hard to act tough and Bumblebee put them in their place more than once. Wheelie's humping was uncalled for. The popping the cherry bit? Missed it completely over other noise- and I think the more you strain to find offensive material, the more satisfied you'll be when you find it. Am I pleased with the humor? Some of it worked, some of it didn't. You draw the line yourself. Still, I think that a lot of the humor could have been worse- I mean, it wasn't on the level of Scary Movie and Meet the Spartans. But then again, I would have liked less.

7. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

I'm right there with you on some of the crudeness. The only parts I like where Megatron and Starscream resuming the customery banter and Ravage. And I was aware of the problems while watching the movie (the novelazation wasn't anywhere near as wince inducing) and I was amazed that it was considered a movie to bring kids to! The violence was actually surpassed the violence of the 1986 and Movie 1 combined.

I'm the Transformers fan, and even I have my limits on the stupid/ crude humor in a movie. Maybe it's because I didn't excpect it to be in Transformers

8. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Is it June '09 again?

9. Vector Squidma

Vector Squidma Smalltime Casual

News Credits:
    Apparently for some people here it's always June '09.

...why the hell are we both still awake?

10. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All great points there. I didn't have the energy to go through it like that but reading it all i was like yep, i agree, yep.

11. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Been said a million times, but I read your post and pretty much agree with everything you said. If some of the trashy humor was replaced by actual story, ROTF could've been quite decent. All I can do is hope better for the third... I want a GOOD movie.

12. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I winced a lot while reading, but I suspect that had more to do with Foster being unable to write himself out of a paper bag...

I think Ravage said it best. Everyone's going to have their own personal breaking point. For me, I just rolled with the film and had fun with it and while some of the humor wasn't my style, I didn't let it affect what I did like about ROTF.

Oh well. Everyone's got their own ideas about humor ;) 

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think there is a place for crude humor in films, just not in a Transformers film.

Plus why oh why oh why didn't Hollywood bury the horrible idea of the comedy sidekick in a action movie back in the '80's. It's like that insane period of gritty cop teamed up with a talking baby all over again they just changed gritty cop and talking baby for different sorts of characters.

14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Isn't it funny how Transformers is possibly the most hardcore movie ever yet there is no metal in the soundtrack?

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  16. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually it featured Megatron getting angry at the Fallen when Optimus reveals one can only be born a Prime, and that he was being misled into serving him for eventually learning telekinesis when it was never going to happen. Still, it had Optimus driving a spike through the Fallen's head (and another draft had Optimus deflecting the harvester's blast to burn the Fallen, Megatron and Starscream, ouch).

I didn't really object to the robot violence in ROTF, part of the joy in Transformers for me is actually how gory it can get because it's robots. In the UK comics Cyclonus and Galvatron had quite gruesome deaths.

And Kruger. I recall Bob as warning ROTF's humour was more outrageous than the first but it would be counterbalanced by the backstory. However, as I've noted in cases like Megatron trying to become a Prime, Bay really edited this out. Orci's just a hired hand really - though even he likes that sort of thing, apparently Kurtzman doesn't approve according to the commentary though since he is a father.

Yeah! There's definitely too many comedy characters in the movie - says something Skids and Mudflap were characters Bay conceived during Orci and Kurtzman and Kruger's absence doesn't it?

I agree with the rest of your post, although I feel Epps was still a fine character and you can't really say Galloway was a comic character just because of the genuinely hilarious way they got rid of him.

17. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    FUCK YES! I'd have payed more money to see that. Stone Cold Steve Austin with Transformers? YES! AND JUDAS PRIEST! We just need Motorhead and we got ourselves a real metal party...also Jetfire steps on Wheelie dead.

18. optimus_tractor

optimus_tractor Well-Known Member

Great points, I agree with them all. Bet this thread gets locked in three posts.

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Maybe I'm desensitized from numerous viewings now, but all the crudeness that bothered me when I saw the movie in the theaters really doesn't bother me anymore.

20. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I find more crudeness walking around in my daily life.