Activision May Stop Supporting Sony PS3

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Jun 22, 2009.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

wow...not good for the Sony clan if they do stop supporting the PS3 and/or PSP

dunno if there has been another company that stopped support for just one. Square stopped support for the N64 but they never did make games for Sega (thus making them more of a exclusive company)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Wow. That's a bit of a shocker. You'd think they'd lineup to sign on simply because of the name. Usually Sony carries a bit more weight than the competition.

I applaud Activision if they are serious about this and stick to the plan. If you're going to make a scene over your principles, at least stick with it.

If they cave and continue to produce titles for Sony, then this was a waste of time for all involved.

I don't want the PS3 to crash and burn. Be more affordable? Yes.
    I'd like to see the 360 have it's hardware problems corrected and be a unit people can depend upon considering the investment costs.
    I'd like to see Nintendo knocked off of their pedestal a bit. (and I own a Wii!)

But we don't always get what we want.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Activision has a strict policy to blame anything besides "our games suck" for why they don't make the money they want to make. There's companies making money from publishing/making PS3 games. Coincedently, those companies make good games.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Well if it is true that it costs more to support the PS3 over the other machines it does make sense to stop supporting it, especially if companies are still suffering with the economy.

Sony still need a machine selling franchise, i'm surprised they haven't tried to make one more previlant and important. Either way its interesting to see if anyone else will follow them or if its just Activision being Activision.

5. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I posted this on my Facebook the other day. Sony's biggest problem is themselves. It's almost like they read a book on how Nintendo acted in the N64 era and have been following it ever since the PS3 launched.
    Kinda like the Gangster planet in the original Star Trek that acted that way because they read a book on the Chicago Mobs of the 20's.

6. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

They pulled this same stunt last gen with the gamecube. I believe it was said best by the guys at Penny Arcade. "Well that's nice of them." "Think they'll stop making games for all systems?" "We can only hope."

7. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I almost bought a PS3 the other day. Then I realized the only games I really want to play on it are the new Ico game, and Final Fantasy XIII. Then I bought a camcorder and Final Cut Express instead.

There is a rumored price drop in August. We'll see then, because I wouldn't mind a blueray player.

8. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Thats how I justified my purchase it was a blu-ray player that played games. Oh and that inFamous is worth its money :) 

9. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

You can find more affordable Blu-Ray players, with internet connectivity, no less.

However, if it's true that there's a price drop in the future, then I'd definitely be interested in buying one. Hell, I might actually go out this time and do it. (I finally had the chance and passed on it.) $299.99 for a Upconvert DVD/Blu-Ray Player, Media Center (of sorts), Video gaming unit...all in HD? Yes. For $300.00, I'll bite.

At $400.00...not so much. (Because a Wii and a Blu-Ray player, currently are cheaper bought separately, than a PS3, together.)

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Oh that would be a slice of heaven right there.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually whether or not that guy is bluffing, he lost a customer this weekend. My fiance and I were finally in the market for a music game. We had a choice between Rockband and Guitar Hero World tour. After reading the news, which is actually from last week, we went with Harmonix. I told her there was no way I am buying a game for PS3 whose publisher might not support it in the future. So if all this guy was doing was blowing hot air, he should really consider that his words might be damaging. I looked at my gaming library and realized that I own no activision games save for the Transformers game this week and thought, "If something REALLY worth it comes out, I'll buy it for my 360, but otherwise, it will be like someone farting in Kansas while I'm in Austin," I can't notice something that I don't really care about.

Work for Microsoft Games for even a year and you might realize that Sony is not the only one whose problem is themselves. Excellent PR makes even the ghouliest Ghoul look like he has your back. Let's take another page from Star Trek... "They release a system and almost immediately stop supporting it, and we buy back..... They release a half broken system that can collectively put you off gaming for months (depending on how many times you've Red Ringed "I was 3 and a half")... and we buy back....They tell us that we are saving money, but when we buy their upgraded HardDrive (more than 20 crappy gigs), Wireless modem, Controller Chargers and a year of Live, we end up spending the same, if not more....and we buy back... The line must be drawn HERE, HERE and NO Further!! :D "

edit: Damn, I love First Contact.

12. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Wii and the DS are Nintendo's comeback story, because for the last two generations (N64, Gamecube), Nintendo has been in 3rd place to Microsoft and Sony. Meanwhile, Sony's been on top for a long time and been arrogant ever since they broke into the industry. The failure of the Dreamcast was helped along by Sony, which demanded that partial Dreamcast shelf-space be given to the Playstation or they simply wouldn't allow stores to carry their product. Sony is the company that championed its "NO 2D!!" policy that all but killed an entire genre of gaming. They're the same guys that laughed at the Wii when it was unveiled and can't understand how they're getting their asses kicked by the Wii now. The top 2 selling systems are the Wii and DS, with the 360 coming in 3rd. And it's a very distant, very cold and lonely 4th place for Sony.

Not to mention, that everyone I've talked to says the same thing; all the games on the PS3 look great, but there's either nothing new, nothing they haven't seen before on the PS2, or nothing they can't also play on the cheaper 360 with a few exceptions.

Back when the PS2 was still at its height, Sony called a meeting with its leading 3rd party developers to chew them out, because apparently hardly any of them were tapping the full power of the PS2. Then, when Hideo Kojima says that they pushed the PS3 as far as it could go with MGS4 (and that the PS3 is difficult to work on), Sony chewed out his studio for making such a slanderous statement. So what is it? Get chewed out no matter what they do.

Price cut? That'll be nice. It'll also be nice when the Wii, DS, and 360 cut their prices at exactly the same time, resulting in even bigger leads for them. No, Sony's earned this epic failure. I love my PS2, but damn if Sony isn't the most arrogant collection of jerks in the industry.

13. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i find the most arrogant people in the video games industry are the consumers.

just sayin'.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting, considering that Sony's Three Major First Party companies chose to enter this generation with 3 new IPs. Insomniac (Ratchet and Clank) jumped in with Resistance, Naughty Dog (Jak And Daxter) jumped in with Uncharted, and now Sucker Punch (Sly Cooper) busted in with inFamous, all three of which are amazing games. Team ICO is not making a sequel to Shadow of Colossus, and Little Big Planet is a sequel to nothing and Nintendo seems to be visiting the idea in their new Mario Wii game. Folklore, while sleeper in status, is a new idea. Microsoft brought us another Halo (and now two more this year) and new Fable, and Gears being the only Major new IP. And Nintendo just unveiled another Mario game. Innovative to say the least.....

I'd actually think it's the other way around. I can play a 1942 WWII game on the PS3 if I wanted to, and I can play Ratchet an Clank to get my Platformer Fix, and if I have a PC, I can play Fable, Halo and Gears of War. But I can't play Uncharted or inFamous anywhere else. MS is sticking to whats safe, milking old IPs, and Nintendo (hats of to them are trying something new, but they tend to alienate their original fans with it).

Back when the Xbox was still around, Microsoft called a meeting with all its game companies and told the one I was working with that nobody cared about space shooters/RPGs anymore, so when we were done with the game we were working on for PC, they were shutting us down, even if we were also working on Brute Force for the original Xbox, they felt that as a whole we weren't profitable for them. Oh and in an entirely different Meeting, Ed Fries told us that our game wasn't meeting up to visual standards of the time and gave us a little chewout too.

Victims aren't we all.

edit: Before MS took over Digital Anvil, that place was second only to Heaven. heheheh. Dungeons and Dragon sessions in between working, hahaha

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It would be awesome if the PS3 had a price cut, I may even buy one then.

However, the comments by Activision are complete ass and I think it's funny that they were made shortly after Sony had their strongest showing at E3 in years.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey Smash, sent you a text message yesterday.

17. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Source? Source? Source? Source? Source? Source? Source? Source?

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For being difficult to work on, Kojima made some amazing shit. But then he can make the original gameboy sing.

19. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Yeh the work his team did on MGS3 for ps2 was a real slap tp tyhe face some of the other companies that were releasing ps1 grade games.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember that too. Basically saying "What? You're having trouble making games for the PS2? Well that might be an actual problem with you, because look what I can do." It's like Uncharted this generation (as well as MGS4). It's like "oh, you think the PS3 is difficult to develop for? Oh, I guess what we made here, which looks better than what you made, must have been an accident."

Kojima's team does have talent though, and BluRay or not, whatever they make for 360 with Raiden's game will take full advantage of what the system has to offer.