Activators Movie Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Rewind, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was happily surprised to stumble across Activators Starscream today. I've barely seen anything new over the last two months so it almost didn't register and my first thought was that is was a Fast Action Battler, until the more intelligent noodle in my brain reminded me that those haven't been around for a long time now. And then I was all like, "Awesome!" and there was much rejoicing.

Alt mode is what we’ve come to expect from Transformer jets: Realistic awesome looking jet on top…folded up jumble of robot on the bottom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But this one differs in one very important aspect: If you get sick of the ‘realistic’ jet...

[​IMG]

..just flip it over and you’ve got a Jedi Starfighter!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That’s right, Starscream’s transformation-cheating second cockpit turns the toy into an inadvertent SW/TF Crossovers toy.

Transformation from robot to jet is incredibly complex and was probably one of the most mind-bending, frustrating and time-consuming experiences I’ve ever had transforming a toy. Peg his feet together, pull the tail section out until it clicks, fold his arms over his head, slide the undercarriage forward and click it unto the nose. It must have taken me over two hours to go from bot to jet. I’ll probably never transform him back into bot mode. If only it were as easy as the push of a button! Hmm...what's this button do?

[​IMG]

That's as far as the transformation goes with the automorphwhatever. Just separate his feet and position the legs and arms to your liking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Starscream is very nicely proportioned in bot mode. Sure, he’s squat and cute and has a big head but therein lies his charm! He looks like an ugly yet cute little goblin that you’re not sure will eat out of your hand or eat your hand (knowing Starscream, probably both). His wings and tail fins are hinged so you can fold them back if you like. My one nitpick would be the landing gear jutting out from his chest. It really wasn’t necessary to include, and since they’re not actually wheels but just round bits of plastic sculpted into the chest they barely even look like landing gear. This is one toy where I don’t think anyone would have cried foul at the lack of landing gear.

[​IMG]

Paint apps are clean overall and more varied than I expected with bits of copper, gold, silver, purple and red. He’s got a few tattoos visible in this mode if you’re keen on that sort of thing.

Articulation is pretty good overall. His arms can be put in just about any position and really lend a lot of life to the figure. It hurts my brain that he has wrist swivels when the Leader version doesn’t. His head is on a ball/socket and can be posed looking up, something I always love on figures. His legs have enough movement to keep him standing or sitting but not a whole lot in between. I would have preferred hinged knees to allow for the legs to be straightened out of the goat pose, but they’re supposed to be in the goat pose so that’s just hard cheese for me.

This is easily my favorite movie Activators figure so far. While there are a couple of things I would have done differently such as adding knee articulation and doing away with the sculpted landing gear, there are so many things that this figure does right that I can overlook those nitpicks. Is he going to be the definitive Starscream in your collection? Probably not, but he’s not supposed to be. He’s one of those toys that’s not really meant to be taken seriously and exists purely for the sake of fun. Go buy one! Here's some more pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

All joking aside, how hard is it to get him from robot to vehicle. I have Activators 'Bee and he is a right pain in the hole getting everything clicked together.

Definitely have to get Screamer now. He was already on my list, but then you came along with your hilarious poses and now he's a must-get. I can only hope I can feckin' find him...

3. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not hard at all, just the few simple steps that I listed: Peg his feet together, pull the tail section out until it clicks, fold his arms over his head, slide the undercarriage forward and click it unto the nose. :) 

4. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Awesome, saw him in the mall today (in my country for that matter) and I will get him tomorrow.

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Got that one a few weeks ago, love it (and Ironhide). Pretty much the best articulated movie SS out there!

6. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I sure hope that the clicking parts aren't as annoying as Activators 'Bee. You try to click his clicky parts together, it's like they're going "I don't wanna go in there, I'm too shy". Then when I transform him back to robot mode it's like all that straining getting him to bloody stay together goes to waste cause he's all "F-TOOMP!" and back in robot mode, staring at me with a head too cute for that design.

I really need to know when to stop, don't I?

7. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

I might get him, Is Ironhide any good ??

He reminds me of Batmite for some reason. as he looks like a spritely Mini-me of Leader Starscream.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Ironhide is my favorite Activator from that series.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Found this guy today.

What a cool little dude. That face is great. So scary yet so cute, and the expression is just pure rage. His little hands are adorable.

I wish his ankles could move back more. He doesn't look so much like he has animalistic legs so much as knees that are put too far back. Mine's transformation won't work, either. I can get it to spribng out with some fiddling, but it never happens when I push the button once.

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Picked up the first and only one I found today at Walmart.

Love fiddling with him. I also have a hassle of a time doing the TF gimmick but there's a reason for it.

The engineering kinda faultered when they made this. When transforming into jet mode, the nosecone and cockpit clip into the recesses in 'Scream's feet. Not only does it keep everything in place, it also prevents the gimmick from working because the spring isn't strong enough to unclip the cockpit. So it's not an issue, just an engineering flaw.

I may pick up an Optimus to go along with him. He needs an Autobot to pester.