Action Masters yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by VictoryLeo19, Mar 27, 2008.

1. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Ive been debating to start completing the action masters line while i have spare time before animated comes out and im wondering if anyone here has most if at least some of them to give me a good idea if they are worth the effort. i always wanted optimus and prowl when i was a kid so if worse comes to worse ill just pick them up off ebay if i find em:) 

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I used to own Skyfall and Treadshot. Never any of the vehicles though.

Blaster looks pretty cool.

3. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Not sure myself. I really don't want to but I got two friends who are really into them. If anything, I would at least want Megatron and Optimus. And them some other random characters. I'm sure as hell will not get into the UK stuff. Way too expensive for those toys.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    The only Action Masters I have are Prime, and the repainted version that came with the 2002 New Year Convoy. However, this will probably change soon, as AM Prime is just SOOOOO much damn fun :) 

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  5. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Banzai-Tron and Jackpot are pretty damn cool. Jackpot is even in the TFCC comic.

I sold the rest of my AM's.

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Action Masters were a fun line. I've got most of them - the only ones I'm missing are Grimlock, and a few of the late Euro-exclusive ones that disappeared before I had the cash - Bombshell, Sideswipe, Charger and Powerflash.

Their nay-sayers' usual complaint is that for their lack of transformation they gained very poor articulation, considering they were supposed to be 'super-posable'. But they were far superior in articulation to pretty much anything we'd had before. It was just the fact that G2 came so soon after, with both transformation and ridiculously good articulation, that showed them up in a bad light.

There are quite a few people who love AMs a lot. I'd recommend checking out Custom Masters - this guy soups up existing characters, makes ones that never happened, creates new characters, and even creates custom ones to order!

7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

You know I've never really been that big a fan of these. However if you said micro-masters then I would have been like hell ya.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I think they're decent, pretty cool when grouped together. I like the animated look they have also. without all thew kibble, just pure character.

Was'nt to crazy about the gimmick back then, but I think it stood up to the test of time pretty well. They maybe more fun now than ever. Maybe it's becasue Im more into toys with more accessories now, without perfect transformations.
    Im also liking the Pretender bots more, not the shells, but the bots (complete) have been fun messing with lately

9. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    I've only had a couple and sold all but Bumblebee and Krok....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only had Prowl's Bike...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

It's a transformer...that transforms into a car...driving a car.

I'd say AMs have been made largely redundant thanks to modern toy engineering that allows us to have posability AND transformation at the same time.

At least, they're supposed to be posable. How about some AM photos showing off just how posable they are?

11. Red04Cobra

Red04Cobra Well-Known Member

They don't look quite as bad to me now as they did when I was a kid. I can say the same thing about the Pretenders too. I think I had Bumblebee and Jazz action masters back then.

12. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yay to Action Masters! I have them all. (I stayed with the US/UK G1 until the bitter end) Since they don't transform, they are not my favorite 'Transformers' but a long way from the worst. :D 

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've got all of them except a couple. I really like them. There was no other way to have cartoon/comic accurate versions of these characters back then.
    Shockwave was definitely my favourite, but many of the G1 core characters score highly with me from this set too.

14. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i think im gonna sell mine except for tracks, and maybe shockwave...i just doont have the room to display them anymore...

15. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Action Masters can be fun. I currently have AM Shockwave in my "scale battle" display. This display involves the WST releases, regular sized Metroplex, Trypticon, Omega Supreme, Classics Astrotrain, Robot Masters Victory Saber, the K.O. mini dinobots, and a few other random things. Shockwave might seem out of place with the WST's at first, but once he's trapped in Omega Supreme's claw, he seems about the right height.

I like to use the Action-Master-specific characters as filler in any battle scene, really, as I haven't really read any of the Marvel comics they were in, so I don't have any preconceived notions of what size they are supposed to be compared to the well known characters.

16. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

I would like them more if MegaSCF/Revoltech didn't exist. I do like the GIJoe approach, with size standards and lots of accessories. I'd love to have that range of characters done in Revoltech style.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I've just got Snarl, but it's pretty cool. I've often thought it would be cool to at least get some of them at some point.

18. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love all the new characters. Prime and Megatron are cool as well because of their vehicles. I wish I had Krok and Banzaitron though. Last auction I saw each one went for $20 a pop and I won't pay that much for an action master without a vehicle :( 

19. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm definitely saying "Yay!" It's like M.A.S.K. and Transformers all rolled into one!

That and because of a lot of folks hating them like the plague, prices for most of them aren't bad at all.

20. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

They're not really that poseable by today's standards. The head turns left to right, the arms move backwards and forwards, the knees bend, and the hips have bi-directional articulation (handy for mounting them on bikes). But they were pretty darn action packed back in the day, when we were pretty well used to robot modes with solid blocks for legs.

That's actually quite a nice idea. How well it'd do, I'm not sure, since as we said earlier, it's possible now to produce high-articulation transforming figures. To be worth bothering with, they'd have to be pretty low cost, relatively. What to Revoltechs go for, anyway?

AM Snarl's getting some love lately too - he was also in the TFCC Games of Deception comic - actually, it took me a while to remember that Tyrannitron (who we didn't see, but was apparently causing havoc on the ship) was not one of the new Minicons, but his AM partner.