Action Masters Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ORIO, Jul 14, 2009.

1. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, I owned only several Action Masters as a kid. Mainframe, Kick-off and Jackpot and a friend of mine owned Rad. I remember hating the figures but loving their TM partners. Lately, I've noticed a slight resurgence of the characters in Transformers. IDW used several of the characters in theirs books as well as the Botcon Banzai-tron (whom I totally want)

But as far as the lackluster G1 toys, the ones the came with vehicles seem pretty badass. Which of those are worth taking a second look at and who would you recommend picking up?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I love all the action masters. their sculpts are great. especially figures like grimlock, bumblebee, and skyfall, who I DEMAND a modern version of, ignoring his bio that he can transform into anything, of course.

all of them are worth taking a second look, honestly. but be prepared, the little bastards are pricey.

3. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the Grimlock action master. I collect Grimlocks, but I don't have his Target master.

And yeah, I know they're pricey. I'll blame that on "last wave syndrome".

But I recently saw a tank like thing that AM Megs was driving and was blown away at how cool it looked...

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

You totally have to get Thundercracker.

Have you looked at the Revoltech TFs? They're basically super-articulated Action Masters.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    but prime's modeled after pat lee's ugly design, and megatron's face doesnt look like megatron's face.

6. Optimus Sledge

I wonder if anyone's done kitbashes using parts from Revoltechs and Action Masters?

7. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No way would I EVER buy that Thundercracker. But if I did, it would only be because its become as hilarious as Pimp Daddy Destro.

And yeah, I've seen the Revoltechs, and they're cool. Not my cup of joe. But I'm more interested in the Action Master Vehicles. Are they badass? Do they suck donkey balls? Which do you recommend?

8. Optimus Sledge

Only one I had/have is Slicer's exo-suit. Pretty cool, really. Battery-powered so it could roll forwards and backwards (in both modes!!!), and pink needs to be reclaimed as an evil colour.

9. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See? Now, THAT'S BADASS. I had no idea that even exsisted until you posted it. Transformers with Exo suits=win. Funny thing, I live and love the MTMTE profile books but they don't show him or most of the AM vehicles.

10. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

Perhaps it's because I'm a total Prowl whore, but AM Prowl and his bike are pretty cool, IMO. It's a nice looking toy (the bike) in either mode and Prowl sitting on it is that special kind of weird absurdity that you only get with AMs.

I also recommend the big guy, Optimus Prime. His vehicle is also nice looking in either mode and it makes for a neat display of sorts in that you can pile your other AMs on it like he's toting them around. And hey, day glow orange weapons! It's hard to lose them.

I admit I'm a little biased in favor of Action Masters. I've always loved them and was defending them back in the day when doing so wasn't popular in the TF community. I'm happy to see people giving them a chance finally.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    my action master prowl could never sit on his bike without either shifting to one side, or having his legs pop off.

and my action master prime could never do.. anything without his legs popping off thanks to the stupid bumps at the top front of his legs, so when I was little, I switched the tops of his legs with blaster's (for the right color)

12. The Asp

The Asp Angry Old Man

Action Masters are garbage, don't buy them.

That way I won't have so much competition finding them.

13. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    gmfpth...*snicker*...hrgmpmth...*cough*...

14. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the info! And go check out the New Mexico sightings thread! I grew up in rathole. :) 

Said the dude named after a snake :lol 

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've got almost all the vehicles (I'd have to check what I'm missing - maybe only a couple of the small repaints). I quite enjoy the mid-sized ones like Wheeljack's red jet/car and Sprocket's jeep/helicoptor.
    Wish Optimus and Megatron had come with their normal design of weapons. I just wasn't feeling that orange rifle Optimus came with and Megatron's arm felt naked without his fusion cannon. Always keep meaning to track down that cannon someone made.