Action Comics #850

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Switch625, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I didn't see another thread on this issue, so I thought I'd make one.

This was a wonderful issue. It's really a Supergirl story. She's still in the future with the Legion looking back through time with one of Brainac 5's inventions. They witness several different incarnation's of Superman's history, going all the way back to 1938 (Byrne's Man Of Steel reboot is also mentioned and I'm glad it hasn't been totally retconned). All the different incarnation of Superman's history in this issue can be credited to the Multiverse.

Anyway, the issue's about family and how there's no bond quite like it. Supergirl finally gets an understanding about why Superman's so overprotective of her. This issue helped me better understand Superman's current "I'm alone" state of mind. I never understood why the writers kept playing that up when he's got a wife, friends (both at the Planet and in the League), a cousin and Ma and Pa Kent are both still alive. Superman just doesn't feel like he fits in anywhere. The pages with Lois at the restaurant and with the Justice League, Flash in particular, said a lot.

The art was really well done too. I highly recommend this issue, especially if you're a Superman fan.

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Well, I love the new Supergirl so this is a must buy! But how can she still be in the future when the first One Year Later Supergirl story takes places about a month after the OYL relaunch, supposedly giving her the time to have returned from the Future? I... I really don't get it.

Sounds like a great issue though, confusion aside I shall pick it up today.

3. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

The story took place while she was in the future. It's a standalone issue that used her presence in the future as a storytelling device to allow her to see what it's like to be Clark. Plus it's a landmark 850th issue, so there's lots of reflecting on Superman's history.

4. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    I enjoyed this issue. I especially liked the part when young Clark told Martha that they were the same.