Customs: Acrylic Primer Question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by PrimulArchangel, Oct 22, 2008.

1. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys :) 

I got a question about Acrylic Primers. Has anyone ever turned a can of primer upside down and sprayed all the air from the can and then cut the can open to remove the primer to use in there airbrush ?

I am looking to buy some primer so i can do a repaint but i do not like using the primer while its in the can. I would like to use it in the airbrush because i will have more control over the spray.
    I know this seems crazy to do LOL but i have one hobby shop near me and they are so over priced on all there paints.. So for the same price i would spend on a small bottle of primer from them or online i could buy a full size spray can from Home depot or lowes and just remove the air and then rebottle the paint to use in my airbrush.. Is this possible to do or does the paint go bad? Has anyone ever done this ? Or does anyone know of a online site that has good prices for some acrylic primers ? I only use acrylics in my airbrush, im waiting to get a second brush to use for enamels.
    Any help would be great :)  Thanks in advance

-Curt

2. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

you can and you can just spray the paint into the cap you don't need to let all the propellant out and cut it unless you just want to.

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I decan(Just spray rightside up through a cut straw into a small container) spray paint all the time and run it through my airbrush. Goes on so much smoother.

4. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm thats an idea i could try. Im going to start my NY Rangers bulkhead and he dont come apart to good so i got to paint him pretty much all together lol.. I tried to remove his wheels with a soldering iron but had no luck , they wouldnt budge. So ill ave to just tape them off and paint the inside of the wheel wells with the airbrush.. Thanks for the tip, ill give that a try first :) 

5. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Typo on my part, dont spray it upside down if your not planning on opening the actual can. Good luck with it all.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Just a random trivial point also...
    when done spraying, spray cans should be sprayed upside down until nothing comes out. This clears out the tube pulling the paint out of the can so the next time you use that can, it doesn't gunk up.

7. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah they made us do that to all the cans in Metal shop back in my school days lol, thats what gave me the idea to spray all the air out and then cut the can open to remove the paint and put it into a new container lol