Customs: Acrylic Paint Thinner Question???

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Optimist_Prime, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What can I use as a thinner for Tamiya acrylic paints? 91% rubbing alchohol, nail polish remover, ect... Any suggestions so I don't need to buy thier thinner.

2. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Depends on why you want to thin. If you're removing, 97-99% alcohol will do the job. If you just want thinner paint for painting, it depends. If the paint isn't oil-based, water will do the job. If it isn't water-soluble (try mixing a small amount with water. If they keep separate, the paint isn't water-soluble), I believe Testors makes an inexpensive solvent.

3. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

at my hobby shop tamiya has its own acrylic thinner on the same rack as the paint is. Looks a little expensive, but if you go to walmart, they have acrylic thinner in the paint section. You just get like a gallon of it.

4. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I read about using window cleaner to thin acrylics on a garage kit modeling forum. I tried it out, and it does the job really good. I've used Tamiya Acrylic thinner and plain water, but the window cleaner seems to do a better job thinning the paint.

5. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I can't read the Non-english print on my, Tamiya, thinner but it smells like alcohol. If it's mixed, with something else, I can't tell.

6. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    "Tamiya Acrylic Paint: X18 Semi-Gloss Black. These handy 10ml bottles of paints for hobby use are made from water-soluble acrylic resins and are completely safe. Can be used on most common model plastics such as styrol resin and styrofoam. Paint can be washed away with plain water if done prior to curing. Available in glossy, flat, translucent colors, plus an exclusive thinner and a flat base."

Okies, it is water-soluble. You really can't get any cheaper than a gallon of distilled water. ^^;

Alcohol'll might do the job n dry quicker, but I really don't know what adding alcohol to paint does. >.>

7. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Rubbing alcohol will do the trick the higher the precentage the faster it will dry and evaporate. I think? Distilled water works good to takes awhile to dry though, no need to waste extra money on an already expensive hobby IMO so don't buy the tamiya stuff..

8. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, thanks guys! This helps me out a boat load plus I don't have go to the hobby store now. YAY! Thanks again!!

9. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

That would be Windex cleaner.