Customs: Acrylic Paint Dry Times?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Anti-Venom, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

How long should I let my paint dry before I seal them with future floor finish?

2. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

i dont use future finish, but i do use acrylics.. they actually dry pretty fast however i always not matter wat let my paint dry a good 24 hrs to 48 hrs just to be safe so it can fully dry.. it usually dries within a couple hrs.. according to how think u painted tho.. to the point where u can handle it and touch it.. but u should always be careful.. but ya..

just give it atleast a day i say to be safe..

hey while u wait for one project to dry.. u work another then lol

3. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    you can speed up the evaporation of the paint thinner
    by using a hair dryer if you want it quick.

4. X5452

X5452 Cylons get no respect!!

I have also found that Acrylics usually dry in a couple hours sometimes less depending on the environment. Lately in Southern California it's been a little over an hour. But I agree with wylungz wait 24 I used to just try to finish customs fast but I have come to appreciate waiting and working on something else, and it guarantee's that it's ready for Future or other clear coats. Also I usually spray a coat of Future and again let that sit for an hour or more and go back and spray another coat then let sit for 24 hours again. Hope that helps. It's a process but everything is!!

5. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A day? Really? I use Vallejo and Reaper acrylics and they're dry within an hour. Within 10 minutes if it's thin coats or tints. If I add extender or distilled water, I usually wait at least the hour's time before handling it.
    Also, between colors, I like to give the piece a quick shot of Testor's matte fixative, just as an added insurance against rubs. It also allows for new paint to be wiped off of existing paint relatively easy if you make a mistake.

6. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

ya well acrylics do dry fast.. w/in a hr.. a couple hrs.. depending on how thick and the environment.. however it will be dry to the touch.. so u can handle it most likely.. doesnt mean its totally dry..

recommended.. 24 hrs.. while u wait. work on another custom.. keep urself busy!

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I am curious if your refering to "dry" times or "cure" times. A paint can be fully dry, but not cured for some additional time, my man.

8. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses.

You have all been helpful.

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with the 24 hour rule of thumb. Just because you can handle the part doesn't mean its cured. If you try sealing it to early you have a greater chance of the paint failing. Heck enamels take 48 hours to cure out of a spray can... That was torture for me painting my prime custom.

10. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    This.

My Tamiya and Mr. Hobby acrylics are dry in 15 minutes if I add Future or isopropol alcohol for thinning, but it's definitely best to wait at least 24 hours before calling 'em cured.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If referring to drying time only, actually 15-20 does the trick with applying Future on top of acrylic paint. Personally, I've been mixing Future with my paint while I paint it. I find that the self-leveling of Future mixes very well with my acrylics and levels out brushstrokes even more.

The paint doesn't have to be "cured" to apply Future as a top coat. As long as the paint is dry enough to not move around while the Future is applied, you're fine :)