Customs: Acrylic or Enamel?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ShortCircuit, Mar 25, 2011.

1. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Acrylic or Enamel for wetsanding with a 800-2500 grit cause I only have a brush and want to try to make it smooth, and blend in the brush strokes, cause with testors, I can never get a good, flat application, always strokes.

So I'm thinking this time, Im gotta try to finish with a wetsanding also try to take the brushstrokes out.

Would you say enamel or acrylic would be stiffer and not gunk up too much with the sandpaper?

Im leaning toward Enamel, just because I think its more glossy, and more workable, but I havent really dabbled in paint too much. Could you guys help a nub?

Thanks.

2. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD Lockdown's #1 Fan

Enamel.

3. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    yeah enamel but gloss get dull when sanding... so I advice to spray highgloss coat after. eventhough i'm gonna coat with a brush ;) 

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Heh heh... this question always used to fire up some heated debates between dedicated advocates of one or the other.
    Both will work, if you use them right. I don't have a ton of experience with enamels, but with acrylics, all you have to do to avoid brush strokes is to thin the paint down before you apply it, and lay down multiple thin coats. And make sure you've degreased the surface before painting, and if you can, give it a light sanding to give the paint something to adhere to (though if you can't, it should still be fine as long as the fig's clean).

5. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Alright, thanks guys, gonna go for the enamel.

Hey I like that idea of thinning out the paint. I'm gonna try that with a couple different mediums, what about isopropyl alcohol? would that be a good thinner, or water?

And and trying to end up with a glossy look too yeah a clear would be nice.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you are painting with brushes, I'd recommend acrylics.

I'd recommend enamels mostly if you were using an airbrush and doing wetsanding.

7. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Huh I was just going to ask this same question myself :lol 

I first used enamel-based paints and I F'ed up the model I was painting (Had no clue what I was doing) and didn't know the difference. I don't know what the hell went wrong but the arms and different parts of the body just warped and turned rubbery (Either the paint or the model glue I used did that) but the paint reeks! And I still does, even though they're all in my closet five feet away from me boxed up I can still smell it...
    Well now after doing more research I should go with acrylics.

In your case whatever works best I don't have much knowledge to offer on this subject, but best of luck to what you're working on and hope it looks great when it's finished. :D