Customs: Acrylic or Enamel?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by KWFlange, Sep 4, 2010.

1. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

Hey all!
    I know this is a newb question, but I cannot seem to find an answer to it anywhere.

When painting transformers, is it better to use Enamel or Acrylic paints?

Before buying a batch of Acrylic paints I had read (somewhere) that Enamel paints are terrible for action figures (because they don't stick and flake off), but it seems that most people here are using Enamel paints on their customs.

Along my searches I came across a G.I. Joe Forum which recommended Acrylics for "Joes" and Enamel for Vehicles...but Transformers are kind of both.

So basically What I want to know is, which works best for custom Transformers (I.E. what are the advantages to each *I really don't know*) and when and in what order do you mix them (I have seen it posted both ways Acryl on Enam but but not the reverse as well as Enam on Acryl but never the reverse)?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

2. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Here is a link to the tutorial section.
    Its filled with tons of great info. Turtorials

And here is a link with a run down of both acrylic and enamel paint. Paints

3. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Here's an abridged version of what I've learned:

Acrylics:

Pros: Easy Clean-up, Easy-to-Use, Easy-to-find, Easy_to_find washes and inks.

Cons:Chips and rubs easier that enamel (Prep and priming can help stop this), must be sealed to stay UV protected so that the sun won't fade the color

Enamels:
    Pros:D urable, Goes on thin, give's great coverage, Great Pigment ratio in the paint

Cons: Smelly stuff, must use Paint thinner or Mineral Spirits to clean up and thin paint, Not as readily available as many acrylics, higher learning curve, not as "tolerable" as acrylics for temperatures changes and your own "boo-boo's"

4. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everything I was told leading up to my buying was that acrylics will bond to the TF plastic better and won't ruin it over time. Just make sure you wash the TF in warm soapy water to get it clean.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think all of the answers here are good. I'd also insert that much of it just depends upon personal preference. If you've never painted a TF or other plastic toy before, I'd recommend buying a very cheap toy and just try some things out on it. Dollar store toys won't mind. They may even thank you later :) 

6. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

Awesome! Thanks guys! It is nice to finally get an answer that makes sense. Everything else I was able to find (including the link posted above) seemed to be more about what brand of acrylic or enamel to buy. Which is great for anyone who knows the difference, but that wasn't the question.
    I think for now I'm going to go with Acrylics due to the drying time, ease, and the fact that my poorly ventilated apartment won't be a draw back when I only have to use water to cut them.
    Thank you again! You probably saved me from asphyxiation (paint thinner + few windows = bad times)!

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, the tutorial I wrote discusses both brands and types to buy. It discusses the pros and cons to each as well.

Either way, I'm glad you got what you're looking for. Now . . . get to paintin'! :)