Acquisitions that were worse than you expected?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by M-Prime, Oct 25, 2006.

1. M-Prime

M-Prime Banned

In response to Polenicus' thread about toys that you bought that exceeded your expectations, I wanted to ask you about some toys that you bought that were far worse than you were expecting. Did you ever buy that figure, ran home and opened it, only to discover that the thing made you want to cry? What did you do with it? Still proudly display it with the rest of your collection, hide it shame, bury it in the back yard?

I have a few:
    BM Supreme Cheetor - "Bigger than a housecat!" said Hasbro. Lamer than the turd my housecat leaves in the litterbox is what I say.

Armada Smokescreen - Wow. Whatta a pile of crap this guy is. Halfway decent construction/crane truck thingy transforms into inferior Quasimodo looking robot. With fists...that are covered up. Still on my shelf though.

Armada Sideways - When I heard they were releasing a figure with Headmaster-like qualities, I was stoked. Got him the first time I saw him. Was disappointed to the point of needing anti-depressants 20 minutes later after opening him. No poseability, very little articulation of any kind really, and extremely goofy looking Minicon/Headmaster combinations make M-Prime a sad boy. Still on my shelf.

Deluxe Energon Autobots - Any of them really. A cool gimmick idea made for some really poor designs. All still on my shelf.

Titanium Megatron - I feel that any of you who purchased this monstrosity will agree with me on this one. Has been banished to my shelf of random toys (everything from Batman to Star Wars to Akira to Spawn to Evangelion to Gundam to all kinds of other shit on there), and he is in the back.

So as you can see, I still display most of my stinkers with the rest of the line. I bought 'em, and I need the army to increase if nothing else!

How's about y'all?

2. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Universe Nightslash Cheetor & Frostbite. I am not a BW/BM toy fan at all. I bought these during a "dry" period of TF release. Pure impulse. They now sit in my junker bin, not worthy for display purposes.

3. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

RM Starscream. Worst piece of crap I ever bought.

4. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Beast Machines Supreme Cheetor. I paid $40 for it. What a piece of crap. It can not stand in robot mode at all. It sits in "beast" mode in my BM section. The worst part is 2 weeks later I could have purchased it for $10.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Titanium Megatron...thankfully I exchanged that POS for some classics :D 

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    People are going to throw rocks at me for saying this but Armada Bendy Prime. For some reason I just could not and can not get myself to like this toy no matter how much I tried.

Superlink/Energon Wing Saber was a real let down as well. Had high hopes for him but he turned out to be such a brick and not a very good one at that.

All I can think of off the top of my head for now.

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah the only reason he was ever detached from E. prime was for that brief reminder of how much his bot mode sucked!

Armada Sideswipe... what a pile of putrid plastic that was.

Armada Optimus Prime - The transforming trailer gimmick never worked on mine and the legs never stayed together.

8. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

All 6 of the Energon toys I bought

9. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I agree on Prime. That was one of the worst TFs I ever bought. What a flimsy mess.

10. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Really? Huh, weird, I love that mold. But it's all good, no rocks from me. :) 

But here's one people might disagree with: Cybertron Soundwave. He's not a terrible figure but definitely very disappointing. Mostly for the ridiculously bad alt mode (why not a realistic stealth bomber?!? Why?!?!) and the giant chunk-o'-platic on his back.

Another: Cybertron Thunderblast. What. A. Piece. Of. Poo. It shouldn't even be called a "Transformer." It should be called an "Opener." I can hear the theme song now: "The Openers.... more than meets the eye! The Openers.... robots tucked inside stuff."

Sadly, I got both of these at the same time. A day of buyer's remorse. Where are they now? Soundwave's bot mode is decent enough to get him a place on my "Almost Classics But Not Quite" shelf, which he shares with Cybertron Blurr, E. Downshift, E. Shockblast, and others. Thunderblast is cooling her heels in a drawer.

11. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

You paid that much? I paid $12 for mine and felt like I was majorly ripped off at that price. What a complete pile of garbage. I mean, there isn't one redeeming feature on that toy to make up for what a mess it is. But, to be fair, the entire Cheetor concept at that time sucked though, and the Night Slash mold that people go ga-ga over was just as much a pile of crap. And my introduction to that was CatScan at BotCon. That design just doesn't make a very good real toy, period.

I can't agree on the Bendy Prime hate. I don't think he's the greatest ever, but in a line filled with utter garbage, he was a godsend. I bought several of him for repaints even. Anything to prevent me from hating an entire line. Therein lies the problem. It was the best toy of the worst line I remember.

Alternators Grimlock comes to mind too. It's a great robot, it's a terrific car, but somewhere between the two it all goes to pieces. Literally. Every. Damn. Time. I love complicated transformations, but I have my limit. And Grimlock taught me to appreciate the simpler transformation schemes for a change.

I could probably go all day, but that's a greatest hits list for now.

12. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

MM, I agree with you TOTALLY on Arm Sideswipe. I have no idea what they were smoking when they came up with that one... and they must still be smoking it since they keep repainting the mold over and over again. Arm Prime was pretty good once you gut Jetfire pants on him. But yeah, the trailer sucked.

Bro... I just have one thing to say to you :throw  hehe

13. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

In all honesty; I don't hate my figures, but I do suffer from occasional disinterest in display/play time with some of them.

Armada Destruction Team: These little guys may be fun and interact well with Cyclonus in all his incarnations, but you couldn't pay me to pick up any of the repaints they've made since of these guys. For one thing most of them have lousy vehicle modes and chunky looking robot modes, the transformations are a little tired as well and despite a very interesting portrayal in Dreamwave's Armada Comic these characters have no true redeeming values... However I keep all of my original mold toys and thus I keep them all.

Cybertron Clocker: This guy is a total pain; his robot mode suffers due to his transformation, his vehicle mode is rather bland and I still can't believe they picked HIM for Botcon Cheetor, this figure is a complete disapointment and the only reason I've kept him and plan to do so indefinately is because at least he's a show character and I seem to have a certain interest in owning a representation of the show characters in all their forms or at least almost all their forms. Really though he's not as much fun to play with as many of the other Scouts; even Backstop is better then him in my book or Overhaul/Brushguard.

That's about all the figures I feel disapointed in; Supreme Cheetor may be a miserable toy, but he's one of the last toys my parents bought for me for Christmas or really for ever so I can appreciate him.

14. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G2 Laser Prime - I really don't undersrtand the love he gets. To justify being so simplistic, he should be basic or deluxe sized.

15. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

A lot of my energon figures kind of - after a time - got the "why did I buy these crappy figures?

16. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Wow... I post a thread about toys we like, and it's barely 1 page. A thread posted about toys we HATE reaches two, even though it's posted after :p 

Ah well, might as well contribute.

I have to agree, Titanium Megs is poo. Die cast poo, which seems to only serve to make it HEAVY poo. Its unposeable, which is a remarkable feat considering how many joints he has. All the important, load-bearing joints are tiny and fragile, and pop off if you even... well, there he goes now.

Energon Optimus: Okay, the big guy is cool when combined, but his uncombined form and vehicle modes are just BAD. I suppose he's not too bad, objectively, but when you compare him to the likes of RiD or Cybertron Optimus... holy crap is he the retarded third cousin!

Universe Frostbite: This guy has been metnioned, but... amazing deluxe-sized beast that transforms into... a basic?! And Don says size-changing is unrealistic!

17. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    Cybertron Quickmix

the thing looks good in the package, but the transformation is a mess, and that mixer arm has so many joints, it just flops all over, yet you can't pose it at all.

18. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Machine Wars Starscream. I guess I expected more from a Starscream.

TM Megs. I thought I had gotten a good deal on a TM2 Megs. Oops. Then, his arm broke off the first time I transformed him, but not in the 'some parts are made to detach' kind of way.

Energon Grimlock and Swoop. Perhaps the only two TFs that I've sold that weren't doubles.

-Tony!

19. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Hmmm...let's see...

BW 10th Anniversary Optimus Primal with the Surfboard gun/bazooka. Man, this guy just isn't a whole lot of fun for me at all. I'm sorry I got him. I love the 10th Anniversary Megatron but not Primal. He's now on my list of toys to be sold.

Energon Megatron. I'm gonna get rocks thrown at me for this but I think he's a pile of crap. No waist. Knees keep buckling. Jet mode looks like garbage. To the "to be sold" bin for him!

Energon Optimus Prime, Energon Wingsaber. Do I really need to continue?

Energon Omega Supreme. Sweet Christmas! It looks like a crayon box exploded on him! Combine that with the cheesy gimmick and this toy's gotta go.

Cybertron Blurr...what...the...f***...was I thinking?

Armada...well...anything I bought save for Bendy Prime, Unicron, and Red Alert. Ugh...just ugh!

That should do for now.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Well, you may all be losers, but I myself have never ONCE been dissapointed with a purchase. I even love my Arm Sideways and Smokescreen!