Acquisitions that were better than you expected?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Polenicus, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I think we all have gotten the 'killer' hauls before. Unicron, Primus, 20th Optimus Prime... we all knew by the time we went out and bought these guys that they were going to rock. There was really no question.

But have you ever bought a figure that you WEREN'T sure about... and ended up liking WAY more than you thought you would?

I've had several in the last few months:

Cybertron Unicron:

I always figured this release was an afterthought. Something that wasn't showing up in the show, and would end up being slapdash, like the Energon Dinobots. I am pleased to say I was wrong on all counts on this one.

Unicron is impressively poseable, and stable enough to hold most poses despite his upper body bulk. He manages to be reminiscent of his Armada incarnation while being a completely new figure in his own right. There's also more than a little Bludgeon in him, and I wouldn't mind a repaint of him as that character. Although small (Primus can, and in the toy commerical does step on him) he is a worthwhile toy. After seeing him, two friends that were not going to get him immediately went out and found ones for themselves.​

Cybertron Munky Optimus:

I'm not a Beast Wars figures fan. I loved the show, but on the Trukk/Munky debate, I am firmly on the side of Trukk. I don't mind beastformers as a suppliment to a line... Dinobots are always cool, as were the Terrorcons. They make a nice changeup to a line of vehicle Transformers, especially if the alternate forms are built for combat. But I could never see Optimus as a Munky.

So, I wasn't expecting to pick up Munky Prime. But when I saw him in the store, I thought I'd grab him, in case one of my friends wanted him. They didn't, so he was mine. So I opened him...

This figure was VASTLY better than I expected (Admittedly, my expectations were low). The robot mode is beautifully proportioned, extremely poseable and works VERY well with his surfboard accessory. He looks very much like a leaner, younger Optimus Primal. That and the cheekiness of bringing a surfboard into battle endears him to me. So, he's earned a place on my toyshelf. Just a word of advice though... don't put him on the surfboard in munky form... he looks like ass.​

Now, Classics was a line we all knew we would love, from the first leaked pics of Optimus and Starscream. For a toy line with no TV show or comic, these molds are incredible (Though I figure the original show is probably going to 'coincidentally' hit the airwaves again). Naturally, I grabbed the whole line as soon as I could. Still, from the pictures there was ONE figure I thought was too much of a compromise.

Classics Megatron:

I honestly didn't think I'd like this guy. Lime green, fluorescent orange and purple? Shades of Universe there. Plus those big wing-things off his back.

It wasn't until I got him and transformed him, putting him in a pose with that lovely big fusion cannon on his arm raised that I realized that this was the first Megatron EVER that FELT like Megatron. The cartoon Megatron I mean. Even the original G1 Toy never captured the 'feel' of Cartoon G1 Megs before. All the subsiquent Megatrons were totally different characters.

Even the gun mode, once in my hands, was a lot less goofy than I thought. It reminds me of the handguns from Phantasy Star Online.

Granted, an aftermarket paint job can (And based on some pics from other members, HAS) do wonders for this figure. Hopefully Hasbro is nice, and with one of the figures releases a gun accessory based on his alt mode for the other figures to weild.​

Do you have any figures that you picked up, ones with ambivalent reviews, or just didn't seem all that great from pictures, that turned out to be total love once you got them in-hand? Share, share!

2. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Armada Megatron:
    The toy is like its own playset, little doors, elevators, etc. Its a great figure for kids to play with.

Armada Tidalwave:
    This toy has a really cool look to it and has some really sharp features like the plane elevator.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Classics Hotrod
    I was originally going to pass because I read a bad review... I bought it and I can't put it down

4. M-Prime

M-Prime Banned

I would definitely agree with Cybertron Unicron, he is an awesome toy.

Cybertron Primus - Damn. Even after all of the reviews I read and all of the pictures that I saw, having this dude in my hands and actually seeing all of the little details that were put on this toy was mind blowing for me. Finally a $50 toy that (to me) was worth $50 (and I bought Supreme Cheetor for $40 at retail when it first came out, whatta whore).

5. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Cybertron Downshift. Most awesome impulse TF purchase in recent memory.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Cybertron Evac. Normally I'd never go for a non-G1-homage character, but man, I love this guy. Great color scheme, well-proportioned robot mode, neat gimmicks.

Energon Scorponok. I got him in a junk lot with some other figures, and he was missing some parts. But I ended up falling in love with him so much as a figure that I had to get a complete one. :) 

7. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Cybertron Dark Scorponok. I think I picked him up on sale at TRU and actually really liked the toy. I really was not a fan of the Energon version, but for whatever reason broke down on this one.

8. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

-Classics Megatron - I wasn't convinced until I opened him and felt how sturdy he was and how complex his transormation was - then, I was quite impressed, garish colors aside

-THS-02 Hybrid Convoy - I would have passed, but I got it for a steal and I love it, as it turns out! All the extras make it worth it.

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Classics astrotrain...be looks like a turd, however he is pretty fun to play with!

10. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

RM Lio Convoy... that figure single handedly managed to revive my interest in the RM line after that atrocity of Starscream.

And yeah, THS-02 Convoy was a huge surprise for me. That little guy rocks!

11. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    cybertron monkey optimus prime!!

this guy looks like crap in all the online pictures I've seen, but he's pretty cool in person! I like his fists, and the transormation is nifty. I the way they did his fists. His big surfboard is cool too.

12. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The TRU Beast Wars set. I'm also not a huge Beast fan, but Primal's chest beating gimmick and Megs' water-shooting gimmick won me over.

The Energon Deluxe Decepticons. Lots of unique transformations and alt modes.

Someone else mentioned Armada Megs and Tidal Wave- I agree. Lots of fun.

-Tony!

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Classics Rodimus. He is NOT PHOTOGENIC, and that set me up for a great surprise. :D 

14. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I, also, have to say Classics Rodimus. The sub par reviews gave me a lowered opinion of Rodimus. My view of it shot way up after getting it.

15. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Buddha Primal. You know the brown and translucent blue guy with the green throwing star? I love this little guy. He has a great "I gotta relieve my constipation" mode and he even has a fling-poo attack! It's the best Transformer ever! :p  Combine him with toilet Shortround and it's comedy gold!

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    BW Optimus Primal. I didn't know the figure could be such fun.
    I can't thank GALVATOM (who gave me quite a few BW figures) enough for that.

17. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Cybertron Shortround. He's got a perfect vehicle mode and I love his arms, its a nice change from the generic fists they usually come with. This poor guy got stuck with such a lousy bio.

18. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

C. Shortround is one, definately. I nabbed him without much expectations and he turned out to be pretty cool.

Energon Landquake. He was my first larger-than-a-deluxe mainline toy... I just wanted to buy a "big" one, since I had just started collecting... He's awesome. I'm so glad I picked him up.

I'd like to include Classics Hot Rod, Astrotrain and Megatron, but I had very high hopes for them to begin with, so I was only as impressed as I expected to be. Which was a lot.

I'm gonna get rocks thrown at me for this but...

Cybertron Runamuck. :D 

19. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    BM Jetstorm (the smaller one)
    BM Obsidian
    G1 Ultra Magnus
    Armada Scavenger
    Alternators Prime

20. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    As a BM fan I was higly surprised about:

BM Obsidian: So simple but he ahs got style and it's almost imposible to get bored with him. I liked so much the mold that I got him up-graded with the Beast Wars Returns re-paint

BM Thrust: ONe of the few figures I got to complete a line. He is anoter awesome figure in both modes.

Bm MEgatron Megabolt: The last one I got, I always thoguht it was stupid to have a "Head" to display, but fotunately I got him for a great price, and I fall in love with his superb robot mode. Very detailed, articulated and a very nice and fun feature.