Ace Combat Zero, this game friggin rocks!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Chaos Incarnate, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I know flying games aren't for everyone. Some people feel that they are repetitive or something like that, or they feel that shooting at bad guys with a plane is lame compared to shooting at bad guys on the ground. Well this game is definately worth a second look. You play as "Cipher," a mercenary with the callsign "Galm One." Your objective is to assist the Allied Forces in their campaign to put Belka back in their place. Remember ACE5? This is set 15 years previous to that, telling the story of the earlier war. It's very interesting how the two mesh together so well.

One really cool added feature of this game is the "Ace Style" In the missions, there are pirmary targets, in red, secondary targets, in green, and neutral targets, in yellow. By following rules of honor, and only eliminating targets that are required of you, you earn a Knight rank. Conversely, by laying waste to the battlefield, destroying every target and racking up considerable points and money, you earn the Mercenary rank. Soldier is in between the two, and the type of rank you are on changes the gameplay, so as you go through the game, depending on what you take down, you can play a different game each time.

All in all, the game is very enjoyable, and a must have for any fan of flying. The only complaint I have is a minor one. The ADFX-01 Morgan isn't quite as cool as the ADF-01 Falken. It lacks the cool techno design and the sexy superlaser, but other than that, it's pretty cool.

2. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    Wait, after looking into this a bit more, I think this game might have both the Falken AND the Morgan!

3. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

Can't wait for this to hit the UK, got every game of the series and haven't been disappointed yet

Do you get to pick the special weapons that you carry in this one? That was the only thing that bugged me about AC5.

4. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    Yeah, you can buy a predetermined set of three specials for a plane, then pick one to use on a mission, much like ACE4.

5. Scourge_151

Sweet, always hated being stuck with bombs on the MiG 1.44, or having to pick a plane I'd rather not use just to make use of the weapon.

6. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    AC4 was great, would really like to pick this up...

7. Scourge_151

try AC5/Squadron Leader if you can find it, AC:zero is the prequel to it.

8. Scourge_151

Got the game now (day before release due to pre-order :D  ) And it is awesome, did complete the campaign mode in a few hours but it is a lot more challenging that AC5. Loads of unlocks so I'll be playing through for a few months yet, and now I've got the Namco flightstick coming I'll be able to enjoy it fully, always was dissapointed that the old flightstick (yes I have one of the big old grey things!) didn't work fully with the PS2 games.

9. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    Ooh, where do you get a flightstick? I know there was an AC5 bundle that came with one, but I didn't think that stick was available by itself.

10. Scourge_151

Loose from eBay for $20, there was a bundle on there but I think that's ended now but that had all the patches and such with it and was a bit pricey.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Cool man, I love jet games that make you feel like a Maverick. Ace Combat, Star Fox and Crimson Skies are some of the best.

Afterburner II will always be my favorite tho

12. Scourge_151

sorry to bump an ancient thread but...........
    [​IMG]
    FlIgHtStIcKs!
    [​IMG]

oh, and the tea-tray I'm using for a make-shift cockpit :D 

it's a little weird remembering where all the buttons are at the moment, but they're really well-placed so I'll pick it up.
    oh and the control stick has vibration as well, so for stall warnings it really shakes!

13. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    Dang, I need one!

14. Scourge_151

If you can, do!
    I only did a couple of missions last night (before I got tired from concentrating so much!) but I was flying a lot smoother and reacting far better to what was going on in the game than I could with just the control pad alone.
    The fact that all your fingers are near or on a button that you need quite often without contorting your hands to RSI territory really shows, and the throttle isn't sprung to return to the centre so you can set the plane to a speed so much easier than with the analogue buttons on the pad.
    The control mapping is written on the sticks' bases anyway so if you do have a panic moment where you can't remember where the weapon select is all you have to do is look down!

There are a few buttons and things that have no use in the ace combat games, but the guy who sold it to me gave me the windows drivers for it as well so seeing as it uses the USB ports on the PS2 it's just as usable on the PC as well!