Accidental Collections

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NeilJam, Jan 12, 2018.

1. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:
    Does anyone else have any collections specific to something (i.e. character or team) that you didn't really intend to get?

I somehow have most versions of G1 Powerglide even though I'm not particularly a fan of the character.

Original G1 - cheap purchase from a friend
    Universe 2008 - thought it looked good amongst Alternators (main focus at the time)
    Universe 2009 - color corrected version
    Combiner Wars G1 - when I started collecting mainline full time
    Combiner Wars G2 - from the box set
    Red Rattler - from the 2016 SDCC GI Joe/Transformers crossover set

Only US releases I don't have are the Bot Shots and Kre-O (Lego purist here).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    The Animated Movie Cast. I didn't plan it, but about half way through Titans Return I realized that with CW Magnus and Generations Arcee I had almost the entire cast. Now I have an entire shelf dedicated to them.

• Like Like x 5
  3. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    It was Cyberverse (Prime and DOTM)/Legion/Legends 1.0 for me. It was mainly during the end of TFU 2.0, I would buy one here and there (especially during those times when there was nothing on the pegs and I had an itch to buy something). I kept on buying them through Prime/DOTM and a little while afterward with some of the Dollar General releases. I finally stopped at the end of Beast Hunters and I had a shelf full of the guys.

Had to cut back and sell off some figures to make room (and fill my wallet for some bills) so I ended up selling 99% of them and made a decent amount back. But for what they were, they were pretty fun figures to mess with when killing time.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

I own 2007 Dreadwing and 2009 Fearswoop (Dreadwing repaint) because they were gifts from relatives during Christmas, I never actually bought the mold for myself. And at one point, I had the AllSpark Energy repaint Overcast but that was on loan from a friend during a comic shoot.

I also have both releases of Movie Evac. The easy one to get was the Cyberverse Legends figure. The more difficult one - which you can only get in the Universal Studios Parks - I actually snagged for retail price (as in I managed to skip all the costs of park ticket, travel, etc) in a lot deal with some other semi-rare figures (HA Whirl for example) from a seller based New Mexico.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Defender of Ed-Land

I am a Wheelie, a Blurr, and a toon accurate Springer from the fore movie cast. I just liked the toys individually.

My hankering for Transformers lead me to collect all five core members of the CW Defensor. Only one I didn't get was Legends Groove (and the Deluxe Groove, for that matter.)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Well, my entire beloved 1/48 Macross collection, for one...

• Like Like x 3
  7. general saberwi

general saberwi legoformer

My Nerf collection. I also seem to like Bruticus...

When you think about it, aren't all collections accidental? Like it's a random toy or something cool, and something just clicks, and you want more.

• Like Like x 3
  8. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

No, if you like Transformers and buy the toys you intend to have a Transformer collection. You just might end up with every version of a character or every member of a group as a result even if that wasn't your primary goal.

• Like Like x 1
  9. atomD21

atomD21 Well-Known Member

For me, it's the Halo Mega Construx Minifigures. I thought they were cool, so I picked one up. Then one more. Repeat about 45 times...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:

No. That's just called an impulse buy.

Back OT:
    I can't think of anything right off the bat since I seldom buy TFs as impulsively as I do my other collections. My last impulse buy was TLK Steelbane. This particular collection of mine is carefully cultivated and no one buys me them as gifts. I don't buy lots so I don't end up with figures that I ended up liking or extras. So no I guess I don't. That's kinda sad.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  11. DesertDog

DesertDog dusty, but trusty

In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Wound up with most, if not all U.S. releases of the recent Legends class Megatron figure. Regular Megatron, TFCC TF VS G.I.Joe G2 Hologram Megatron, TFCC Pretender Megatron, and the Warpath retool. I think I'm only missing the Takara Megatron and Starscream Two-pack version.

I'm also casually picking up odd bits of TF ephemera here and there. Pez dispensers, logo shaped carabiners, candy tins, playing cards, vinyl figures and such.

12. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

The Armada toys. I purchased most of them on clearance at prices that were just too good to pass up (e.g., $4 for something the size of a Voyager class toy...can't recall what they called them back then).

13. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Over many years I've unfortunately, repeatedly, accumulated the feeling of being broke.

• Like Like x 5
  14. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    My entire CHUG collection is this. Back in 2010 when I was hungry for new Movie product I dipped into this newfangled "Generations" line. It innocently started with Dirge and Red Alert....and a few years later I'm completing the 2006 Classics stuff that I needed. Realizing I loved G1 more than anything else in Transformers that's where my collection has been focused ever since.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Prime wars, definitely.
    When I sort of completed Superion I didn't expect my collection would expand because of Titans Return. I love the gimmick so much I ended up buying a good number of deluxes and TRs on impulse. So I decided "what the hell" and bought the TR Optimus and Megatron figures so that my troops have their respective leaders.

16. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My entire TF collection.

A good friend of mine when i was a kid had a G1 Thrust that i thought was the coolest thing ever. Flash forwards to 2007, Ive rediscovered G1 cartoon via DVD and Bayformers are about to release. I found a Classics Thrust at retail and loved the look of him so I picked him up. Next thing I know I've got the 2 pack Classics Megatron and Optimus, MP Prime, Bayformers Bonecrusher and reissue Prowl and Inferno. All downhill from there!

17. Ampere

Ampere Isn't the sharpest crayon

Though I don't have as many anymore, movie figures. I've bought a grand total of 4 over the years. All of the others I still/used own were all given to me.

18. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

Legends class figures. I bought a Bombshell back in 2015. Then a Shrapnel in 2017. Then the Takara Shockwave mid 2017. Then a Kickback soon after. Then an Iron Factory Twincast. The floodgates opened from there....

19. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I keep buying Titans Return Triggerhappy as the mold seems right for other characters.

So far I've repainted him as Needlenose and Snare. I'm planning on Tailwind. Great! Now I've remembered Tailwind's mold buddy Hot House....

I have Takara Hardhead and Quake. I repainted Hasbro Hardhead as Gutcruncher.
    I'll probably repaint Hasbro Hardhead as Euro Rescue Force arm tank thingy.

I do have a tendancy to buy Rodimuses. Also I've amassed a collection of the G1 Bumblebee/Cliffjumper/Hubcap molds.

G1 Bumblebee
    G1 red Bumblebee who I call Volks.
    KO Glyph
    G2 Bumblebee
    KO white G1 Bumblebee who I call Bugbite.
    Encore anime face Bumblebee
    G1 Cliffjumper
    Tap Out
    Yellow Cliffjumper
    White Brazilian Cliffjumper
    G1 Hubcap
    G2 Hubcap

Looking at the above list, I've amassed various versions of Bumblebee including updates.

G1 Goldbug
    Pretender Bumblebee
    Titans Return Bumblebee
    Chug legend Bumblebee in Goldbug colours

I don't even like G1 Bumblebee as a character.

20. Ops

Ops Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Most of the Wreckers from different universes. I bought Broadside on clearance last week and went "Oh crap it's the Wreckers!" It was a truly blessed day.

• Like Like x 1