Abstinence-only Programs ineffective against HIV spread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Katamari Prime, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Here's irony for you, anybody else got a plan?

2. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

How do you not use a condom? Like, how do you not use anything? Like, a sandwich bag is better than nothing.

People are dumb.

3. HyperGeek_1984

HyperGeek_1984 Herr Doktor

Well, no shit.

4. butz

butz slippery when wet

Maybe the people in the abstinence program thought simply being in the program protected them, but didn't actually know what abstinence meant, so they just went about fucking like rabbits?

5. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Well, that would mean sex without consequences, which would encourage licentiousness, which is somehow a sin against The Current Deity Of Choice.

Also, I hope not a sandwich bag. C'mon, waiting until you can get to a pharmacy has got to be better than a sandwich bag.

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I love how teaching kids to use condoms is considered such a "moral outrage" with so many folks when abstinence only programs prove to be ineffective again and again and again.

Teens are going to have sex no matter what you tell them, they can't help it, it's hormones.

The least you can do is teach them to protect their selves.

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

I think it's pretty obvious that if you focus entirely on abstinence, there will be more diseases because most people just do what they want. There's also the fact that most kids today are so bloody stupid, they think that oral/anal sex do not count as "real" sex.

However, reports out of Africa, and other low income nations, are the exact opposite. There, abstinence programs are much more effective due to their ignorance of how the disease is transferred and how to prevent and/or cure them. Plus condems and other items are not nearly as available.

Er... sorry DC, you're wrong. Neither I nor several other people I went to school with had sex outside of marriage. It's quite possible to do, it just isn't convenient for most people.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  8. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I completely agree.

Abstinence-only teaching just plain doesn't work.

Think about it- how do teens normally react when you tell them NOT to do something???

9. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    He said "teens", not "all teens". Yes, some people won't have sex at that age, by their choice, or otherwise - but a lot of them WILL.

10. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

What a shock abstinence-only programs don't work, I don't know if anyone caught Bill Mahur: The Decider on HBO but evidently studys show that it makes kids way more likely to do oral and anal sex too.

11. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I would actually like to see these reports. From what I have read the introduction of sexual education with an emphasis on safe sex is helping the fight against AIDs in Africa

12. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    crazy kids!!!

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    So the four of five of you didn't have sex. Well that certain nails it. Kids just aren't have sex like they use too. :rolleyes2 

14. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Without any attack or troll...

How much is taht by choice and how much was that by circumstance, appearance, social placing etc?

15. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

lol I'm glad you said it..

I tried the abstinence thing when I was a sophomore in high school. I lasted 2 months.

16. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Where did you go to school?

I am not exaggerating when saying I knew VERY few people who were virgins past the age of 17, and a great majority who were having sex much, much earlier.

17. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

This topic is full of assumptions, not even my awesome-itude can save it from failure now.

Carry on.

EDIT: Nevermind, I need to respond a little.

If you think protected sex doesn't have consequences, your insight into the matter is worthless.

Exactly, it's hormones. It's a biological instinct to be humping at that age, but it's not exactly healthy. Teen pregnancy and and STDs are abound, and I the question falls into the minds of these pregnant girls and blistered teens isn't, "I didn't know how to use a condom, I just started humping!"

When the heat of the moments shows up only not incredibly dumb people are going to be thinking about what for and this and that. A 16 year old virgin boy is more than likely not going to say "Umm.. let's wait until I have a condom D:", it's just going to happen.

The truth is, providing condoms and protection education and/or abstinence education isn't really going to have a significant change in the moronic practice of morons.

I mean, a facility where thousands of animals in heat have to see the same memebers of the opposite sex for the majority of their lives, shits going to happen no matter what.

Kids have always been bloody stupid, it's not just today.

I know quite a few people that kept their viginity intact through highschool (either by choice or not), it's just that a lot of kids aren't too. There's a lot of memebers of both sides, and anyone who suggests that there's a vast majority of one group is off their rocker.

Those exact questions apply to people who've had sex as well, so if you're suggesting that invalidates the number of high school virgins, it does the same to people having sex.

In other words, it's a moot point.

See, the way you said sounds like you're bragging.

"YA, I TRIED NOT HAVING SEX WHEN I WAS A SOPHOMORE, BUT I JUST COULDNT TAKE IT, IM CANT CONTROL MY URGES, IM A MACHINE RAWR", like, seriously now.

Saying you couldn't have the self control to not do something that you could easily lie about is pretty self-desicrating, and kind of sad.

Like, geezus.

18. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    @.@=confuzzeld

19. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess condoms are the only thing kids are being abstinent about.

20. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

We need to create cheap, effective libido inhibitors, STAT! Or start showing the effects of the various STDs in graphic detail to school kids.