About your career?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Aug 28, 2012.

1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm in college right now and I'm majoring in journalism to one day be a sports writer. I've been thinking alot lately about "is this really what I want to do?" I mean I love discussing sports, especially my Chicago Bears. I don't mind writing but sometimes I hate it. I just don't know if I want to 100% committed to it. Plus I read that there isn't much money in that industry

So, I decided to ask some questions about how some of you decided on your career path.

1.)When you started college, what did you want to be?

2.)Why did you want to major in that?

3.)Did you ever change your major?

4.)If you did change your major, why did you?

5.)Did you care about how much money your career was going to make you while in college?

6.)Are you happy with the career you are in?

7.)Out of curiosity, where did you attend?

I may have some more questions, but right now these are ones I really want to know

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

1. profiler

2. id seen "7"

3. nope

5. i didnt, but I should have

6. nope

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Really, had no clue. I wanted to be the guy that got a lot of chicks. But no idea what to do.

Initially I was a Sociology major. I just liked the classes. In a couple of years I realized the Sociology was just a bunch of bullshit that made excuses for people's short comings and didn't explain anything I knew of life.

I finished out my Sociology major but did a double major in Psychology. It was just a lot more interesting and I was always drawn to it.

Explained in #2

5.)Did you care about how much money your career was going to make you in college?
    I didn't then, but I wish I did now.

I love the career I am in, but my career had nothing to do with my college education. I work at a research firm in their software area, designing UI after doing 10 years of client service. None of this had anything to do with my majors.

What I have learned is that college has to do with over all thinking. The way things are joined together across multiple subjects. How we define things differently, but there is similarities in everything.

At your age I thought it was about the job you get. Now I realize college was about making me flexible to get through the different changes that the work world has.

I was just lucky enough to have brilliant professors that taught me how to think differently of the world and challenge myself and people around me.

So just enjoy it.

You'll end up doing something your interested in anyway. I was always into computers, but never liked programming. Now I design user experiences in software. Some one else programs and I feed them ideas. That has nothing to do with Sociology and Psychology. But at the same time I wouldn't be good at my job without that experience.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Chemist.
    I was good at it in high school
    After the 3rd week. Moved to a combined Business & Economics major
    I wasn't thrilled with the work load, and they made things harder than necessary to weed out people that shouldn't have been there in the first place.
    5.)Did you care about how much money your career was going to make you while in college?
    Duh. I was looking for maximum payout with minimum work... Although I never have work and everyone else does.
    I'm my own boss. I love it.

5. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds like you have it made.

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    1. I originally set out to be an Engineer. Flipped flopped between disciplines for my freshman year.

2. I was a math/science geek.

3. Changed to Criminal Justice, minoring in CSI for my sophomore year. If nothing pans out within the next 2 years, I'm going back for a chemistry degree.

4. My high school ended up shooting me in the foot my senior year by arbitrarily (and at the last minute) changing the math program to cover statistics instead of calculus. That set me so far behind in college I eventually lost interest in what I had thought I wanted to do for the previous few years of my life.

5. I just want to make enough money to support myself and a theoretical wife + 4 kids. And a hobby or two.

6. I currently work as a security guard; I got turned down for a police gig last march because most precincts have a rule of "3 years since your last pot usage", which I only did once for no other reason than I thought it might be handy to know the firsthand effects of it. Stupid me (for the record, I have 2 months left until that date). My security gig's okay, but I don't want to still be doing it by the year's end. I work 2:30 to 10:300 evenings from Wednesday to Sunsday, so I don't have much in the ways of opportunity for a social life. At least they promoted me to Lieutenant 2 weeks ago, so I have a nice Management experience entry on my resume now.

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, especially if he stays alive long enough to be the next Heisenberg.

Seriously though, I can't really comment on the college part because the stuff I've taken after high school has a rather minimal relation to any of the work I've done, but my job involves natural gas systems, so I can almost pull off having a fictional feud with Hank Hill. At the end of the day, that makes it all worth it.

8. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

IMO very few people actually have "careers", most have jobs. And to me the difference is a "career" is a job you enjoy so much you would do it for free. Yes that is a bit of an over-exaggeration but I hope it makes sense.

9. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loo, my first semester of college I took 19 units of general ed. Dumb mistake everyone told me not to do but I wanted to get it out of the way blah blah and I was dumb. I ended up having a nervous breakdown and flunked the majority of my classes. I needed an outlet, I needed to take a class that I enjoyted. From there on out I took at least a couple of theater or music classes so I was still doing something I loved, I was a lot better off.

I think the feelings you are feeling are natural, everyone has those feelings. There will be parts of a job you won't like, and there will be jobs you will have to take in order to get to the job beyond that. Think of TF: DOTM when Bruce Brazos tells Sam "you don't want this job, you want the job after this one" It's kind of like that...sometimes, not all the time. As long as you do what you love you are golden.

And take it from me I've taught high school for 11 years directing our youth to do the right thing in college, and in career choice.

10. data81

data81 LIBERTY TATTOO SEATTLE

Ebay:
    1. Graphic designer/ illustrator

2. I was pretty decent at drawing, so I figured...why not?

3. You could say that. I dropped all my courses after my second day.

4. I was in San Francisco...I would rather skateboard than go to school.

5. Nah.

6. I tattoo now. I couldn't be happier with my career at the moment. I work with an awesome crew of people, and I feel like I have one of the funniest jobs ever.

11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:

GM of a resort at an exotic locale.

I spent a lot of my years as a kid traveling the world.

No, but I found out later that I had a bigger passion working in sports and should've majored in sports management instead.

I changed my minor from Food & Beverage to Special Events & Conventions. I realized I liked doing events more than running restaurants. Especially so after I almost set the university's kitchen lab on fire.

Not really. I've always cared more about being happy.

I've since quit my job working for the Nationals in Stadium Operations after having our son this spring. I can't be more happier than being a stay at home dad.

7.)Out of curiosity, where did you attend?

UNLV.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  12. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, I've always taken the word "career" as having a more stable or otherwise long term connotation than "job", especially when its consistent with things you've done in the past, and these things could easily fit into what you said too about it being enjoyable.

13. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime!

Ebay:
    Kid, I'm gonna cut the crap and be honest with you. Regardless of what you're getting your degree in now, or what you currently think you want to be when you "grow up", it's going to change. What's important to you know will not be what's important to you in 6 months, a year, 5 years from now. You will most likely change your major, and more than likely, you will find yourself in a career field you did not expect. But that's the beauty of life. What you didn't expect is often the most interesting part of growing older.

14. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ word.

You can only plan so far ahead and either direction (overplanning vs go with the flow) doesnt offer guarantees.

Thing is, whether its studies or work:
    - find something that you enjoy
    - become good at it
    - it pays good if not great money, if not move on. If it pays great money but u hate it, its worth to stick around if only for a while.
    - still have time left to have a life outside work. This is especially important where your stuck in a deadend career n looking at new venues.

Anyways, dont fret if you have to change course/career. A lot of ppl credit it to the best decision in their life while a lot off ppl regret staying the same path because they were chicken shit to make decision. The thing abt it is just abt being decisive by being informed. Seek advice but trust your instincts.

15. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

I'm not in college yet so I can't answer all the questions yet, but I am working as a DJ in a club and I wish to continue the same job through college, simply because I love what I'm doing and I also get paid for it.

16. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    1. Creative Writing.

2. I remember saying I wanted to be a writer when I was in sixth grade, and the idea stuck. I toyed with becoming a film major for a short time as well, since I love amateur film making, but it's a difficult and, in some schools, a pretty expensive major with everything else you have to buy.

3. Yes, I'm now a Biology major with an emphasis on Animal Behavior.

4. I found myself really not enjoying the non-writing classes, especially the requirements in linguistics and some of the lit classes. At the same time, I took an Intro to Animal Behavior class as an elective, and absolutely loved it. My professor actually spoke with me about half way through the semester, because he was impressed with how engaged I was in the class. We ended up having a long talk, and he pointed out that one of the professors in the department had published a fiction book. I liked the career options if I didn't get published better with a Behavior degree.

5. It's something I considered, but a big reason for my change was that I could find work with the Creative Writing degree, but it wouldn't make me all that happy. Working in a zoo doesn't pay well, but between the interaction with the public, getting to work with animals and possibly do research that really fascinated me, I'd get a bigger reward in the long run.

6. I'm still working toward the zoo job(openings are somewhat limited), but even just through volunteer work and the like, I absolutely love it.

As far as the writing issue goes, I'd say it depends on which aspects of it you hate. When you're in a classroom setting, there's so much time spent picking apart your work that sometimes you can get burned out, which is something that happened to me after taking several workshop classes. But if writing is really a huge chore for you, you're probably not going to be happy in the field.

My best advice to you would be keep working on it, but don't be afraid to fill your electives and gen ed with various courses that just sound interesting to you. If nothing else, it will reduce your stress level to have a fun class and that might help your writing work. And you never know, you might discover another passion. One random thought, how are you with math? If you love sports, taking some statistics classes might be another option. With analytics becoming more important in sports, that might be a wide open field. And as someone who winces through most math, I LOVED that class.

17. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Not a bloody clue.

I studied History because I was great at it.

Nope.

A bit.

Fack yes. Market Research is awesome.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:

In the UK I assume the equivalent to college is University. Anyway I honestly didn't know what I wanted to be. In the UK they have a profile test thing, which predicts what you'd be best at. I remember Architcture was suggested to me, but I didn't pay it much heed. In the end I did Optometry because my Father suggested it, and to be honest it would have been a very good living.

As before, because my Father suggested it. I actually had the aptitude for it too, we had a family owned Opticians and I was doing a lot of the work there (bar actual eye exams) ie, sales/purchases/dispensing).

Yup, one year into Optometry I changed to Architecture.

Because while I could 'do' the work, I had no interest in it. Coursework and everything was fine, but when it came to the end of year exams I didn't do well and the University 'suggested' I change course. So I did.

5.)Did you care about how much money your career was going to make you in college?

Honestly? No. If I cared about the money I would have stuck with Optometry through hell and high water. Switching to Architecture was something I was much happier with, but the money aspect wasn't really there either. At the time as a freshly graduated Part 1 Architect I'd be looking at £9000 p/a outside London or £11000 p/a inside London. These were rates set by RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) and basically this is chickenfeed.

Then afterward you'd be expected to go back to University to complete more parts to Architecture (and thus accrue more debt) but once you were more qualified unless you already had one lined up jobs were harder to come by because turnover in the Architecture industryis so low and why hire a more qualified/expensive worker when you can have one of those cheap £11K guys over there?

Anyway toward the end I took a chance and sent off a CV to Argonaut Games, and amazingly a few weeks later I got an interview, two weeks after that I had a job lined up to start immediately after I graduated.

I held that job as a Video Games designer for 3 years, and actually it was my dream job... for 2 years. Problem was in the third year it became apparent that a lot of people there didn't have clue what they were doing, I put myself through the mill and after 3 years I got made redundant, along with a load of other people.

I spent the next few months looking for another games job, and didn't get one. I guess because at the time literally every fortnight another games company was folding and I was fighting for jobs with even more people. I investigated Graphic design (Architecture came in handy there) but after finding out what a starting wage was for a Graphic Designer I kind of gave up.

In the end my Dad said to me come work for the Family, so I did. I was already working part time for the family (in between job hunting/graphic design experience I was jobless, what else was I going to do) so it just became full time.

Its not ideal, but we have a few business interests so its fairly varied. Right now I manage the company (dealing with purchases/sales/accounts/wages/deliveries/building maintainence/etc). I also have to manage a few residential/commercial lets which actually I have some talent in, and suits the skillsets of me and my wife. Hopefully I will be moving to full time property development in a few months.

19. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

I wanted to be a software engineer.

I was good at programming and there seemed to be good money in it. This was before the tech bubble burst and everybody started outsourcing everything to India.

No.

Not applicable.

Yes. I knew I'd have to repay student loans on top of living expenses that my parents had covered so far.

Yes and no. I like what I do but the outsourcing/H1B aspect really sucks. None of the software my employers ever buy is cheap (or works, for that matter) but wages are pretty much stagnant and jobs are hard to come by if you don't live in a big city and have the 99 different certifications HR makes up for each position. I'm also annoyed that I'll probably have to write a dumb iPhone game to make it on my own, much like how many English majors get stuck writing copy for sales flyers or something equally inane.

20. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
    I actually started college after i'd been working for a few years as a financial analyst. as I was turning 25, it was the last year I could apply for student loans/grants/bursaries etc, plus i was getting really fed up of never advancing due to a lack of qualifications, so i enrolled in business management with finance

i figured the vagueness of 'business management' would be more applicaple over a wider set of job opportunities after graduation. after all, every company, no matter what it does, needs to run itself as a business. i chose the finance specialism as it was the most appropriate to my existing skills and thought it would look the best out of the available specialisms

no, but god do i ever wish i had

i took my second year abroad in America (i live here now, but didnt at the time. i'm originally from England). i was technically allowed to study any classes the business school offered, so i took some marketing classes (I had a psychology a-level and have always been interested in behavioural economics, and these classes kinda covered it), as well as some business law classes and three entrepreneurship classes. I really wish i could have carried on any of those tracks. instead for my third year i had to go home and finish up a degree i had little renewed interest in.

the entrepreneurship classes made me realise how much i wanted to run my own business. that was never going to make me rich.

well, during my time in americaland i met my now-wife. by the time i graduated we were engaged, and after I was sone with college we began the immigration paperwork for me to move to the states and marry her.

it took a while, and even after i got here there was a long period where i legally wasn't allowed to work. after i got my greencard i ended up unable to find any work for a while, before i went and shattered my knee. now i'm unable to walk without help, and totally out of commision as far as work goes. the only things i know how to do, work wise, are things my inability to walk kinda prevent me from doing. I'd love to work from home doing something for myself, but I'm totally out of ideas, and don't have the funds anyway (between the immigration fees and medical bills, we're out of any savings we had)

so basically i sit on my ass at home all day getting bored out of my mind, hoping that some random company i've applied for will see fit to give me an interview, and that if they do, they won't be bothered by the fact i can't walk around. it hasn't happened yet. I think i'm going slowly insane.