About to run my very 1st Shadowrun session (Tabletop gaming related)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DaggersRage, Jul 16, 2007.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I hope there're some veteran, or experienced Shadowrun gamers here (I do not mean the videogame).

I'm about to run my 1st session with players who're also not experienced in Shadowrun, but are have played other Tabletop RPGs. We usually run somthing like World of Darkness or D&D, I have the chance to finally break away from that theme and get into the realm of Sci-fi. I'd love to make my 1st session a good one with a simple plot/mission.

I'd figure that the players take a job from a mafia boss. Some people that have been paying protection to the mafia boss are getting ransacked and it's time for the mafia to pay their dues. So the Mafia boss hires some 'Runners (thats the players) to investigate who's doing the ransacking and to cause massive destruction on them, such as blowing up their cars, buildings, equipment, killing some goons, etc....

I hope that'd be a simple setup for 1st time game and provide plenty of options for the players to get into some mischeif. Anything I could add to this or maybe use another plot to make a quick "get into the action" game?

2. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have but one piece of advice. Never let a player whose running a troll have a compound bow.

Trust me on that.

3. DaggersRage

Why is that so bad? Sounds pretty kickass to me. I kinda cheer along with the players that do some serous asskicking.

4. ashe5k

ashe5k Well-Known Member

My first run out with new players for Rifts I usually run the bar fight scenario to get them initiated on combat, and then get them involved. I haven't had to do that in a long while though. What you've got doesn't sound too bad for Shadowrun.

5. Rhinox

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Trolls have massive strength. Compound bows have damages based upon the strength stat. I'm all for ass kicking players, but a PC should NOT have a weapon that does as much damage (or more if he's a power roller) than a frikken tomahawk missile!

That combination alone killed the last game I played in.

6. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Rhinox, you ever read any of the Watch books from Discworld?

7. Rhinox

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope. Only Discword books I've read are Thief of Time and Soulmusic.

Plan to read more, but being banned from the public library has greatly crimped my reading list. :( 

8. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How'd you get banned from the library? Did you do a "Jiggles" but not make it to the toilet?

I have played a table top RPG once or twice. It was a bizarre experience. I ended up being a cross dressing dwarf that pissed in someone's eyes and set a horse on fire. True story.

9. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

First - congrats on your choice of games to run. It's the best!

As far as being a veteran player - that I am. I've been playing since it first came out (jeez... '88 or '89) and I love the game.

What edition are you running? I ask because I feel that's where FanPro jumped the shark... making the 4th edition anything like the WOD system killed that game... and I hope that it gets fixed with the new publisher.

I've never ran my own game... I really prefer to play in the system because it's just so much damn fun.

10. DaggersRage

4th edition I hate to say. I had a 3rd edition book but that one got pretty trashed. The spine broke and whatever glue the book had melted.

11. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    I ask because one of the members of the Watch (think Ankh-Morpork police force) IS a troll who carries a compound bow. Actually, more like a siege ballista. Fires either a giant castle-penetrating bolt, well, pretty much an anything-penetrating bolt, but it's supposed to be for castles; or a whole bundle of regular arrows which burst into flames from the air friction. But he can only fire it once.

12. SmokescreenWRX

SmokescreenWRX Dude. Wait, what?

Anyone running sessions of D&D or Shadowrun in the Boston area?