About the terrible scaling & coloring in TF G1 series

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jazz1979, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Jazz1979

Jazz1979 Well-Known Member

I think everyone of us have witnessed many times where the scales of the Transformers had been set so different.
    Even in Transformers The Movie of 1986, Unicron looked sometimes like it was as big as a moon or Deathstar form Star Wars, then in some shots he is only as big as Metroplex or Tripticon and so on.
    Also even if Astrotrain changes his sizes into a Space Shuttle, it is still far too small to make so many Decepticons fitting inside, not to mention that Devastator was even standing inside before Rumble/Frenzy made him desintegrate again.
    In Season3 Darkness of the 5 faces where Grimlock and Rodimus Prime were spotted by the rusty Decepticon horde, every Decepticon was the same size, so Frenzy, Soundwave, Blitzwing, Dead End etc. looked like the same size.
    Remember that in season 1 and 2 the scaling was at least more consistent, when Optimus Prime was the tallest Autobot followed by Ironhide,Ratchet then Jazz,Mirage,Sideswipe,Wheeljack etc. then the smallest Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Gears etc.
    Or In season4 where the Decepticons stood in front of the evil Nebulons, the Nebulons were as tall as the Depepticons while in other sequences they are as big as human.

In terms of coloring and character, it also happened that they suddenly have drawn Galvatron among the Decepticons on Jar, while Galvatron was actually returning with Cyclonus, Scourge and the Sweeps from his Plasma bath :) 
    And even one Aerialbot (I think it was slingshot) was sitting among the Decepticons.

My conclsuion:
    The Marvel Studios were slacking in season 3 onwards very much, having some episodes in good animation quality while most episodes were badly animated in terms of coloring, details etc.
    The best was still the first three episodes of season1 "More than meets the eye" where the story was also very solid and the animation quality was consistent.

2. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Hypothesis:

The animators didn't care that much nor expected their audience to be picky about such details and that producing the cartoon was just simply another job for them; one of many.

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    yup. That's been my conclusion as well.

4. Tela_Tran2

Tela_Tran2 AUTOBOT MAIN FRAME

I agree with this 100%, same thing with all the mistakes in the whole series, low budget, and not a lot of editors doing their job. The Astrotrain part always caught my attention the, just how big can he "grow"?
    Also the fact the Megatron "shrank" when he changed to gun mode, but when he changed to Galvatron and changed to weapon mode he stayed the same size.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  6. Jazz1979

Jazz1979 Well-Known Member

Well, in terms of Megatron, soundwave, and all the cassettes TFs; i was ok that they could shrink into real-life sizes.
    But what made me mad even as a kid back then were the Astrotrain and Unicron issue.
    Even most of the Combiners like the Constructicons, Aerial Bots etc.
    were so different in size many times. Usually their leaders (except the Constructicons which were combined by 6 robots) should be much taller than the rest since he forms the torso.
    Of course I know it was because the animators at Marvel didn't care much about the fans and just wanted to finish work.

7. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Maybe because its a cartoon... for kids...aimed at selling toys, and because of this scale isnt the least bit important. Suspend reality, and enjoy fantasy

8. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

Having recently sat through the first three episodes, I found them to be kind of not consistent. There were more than one seen where extra Seekers could be seen, including one that looked like Starscream, while Starscream was himself in the scene.

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

One problem with your conclusion....Marvel/Sunbow out sourced the animation of its cartoon to outside contractors.

So it wasnt Marvel who was slacking but it was the guys they hirred to do their animation.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Plus, it must be noted that Hasbro made the animators churn out episodes so fast that they literally had no time to check for errors. Plus, remember that in those days animation errors weren't as quick to fix as they are (comparatively) now.

11. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

True because they were being animated in one country and edited and put together in an other.

12. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    And different episodes were animated in different countries.

13. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

Akom episodes did seem worse than most.

14. Beemer

Beemer Well-Known Member

Here's a little story for you, purely conjured up from my imagination:

Mr. Animator: "Hey boss, I'm drawing this scene and it seems like, I dunno, this doesn't seem physically possible."
    Mr. Animator's Boss: "Sweet Jesus Hiro, I'm paying you to draw little robots! Follow the damn charts and get this done! I need fifteen frames in the next hour or you're fired!!!!"
    Mr. Animator: "But... but sir... my wife just had another child... surely you wouldn't let me go..."
    Mr. Animator's Boss: "WHY ARE YOU STILL IN MY OFFICE!?!?! TWENTY FRAMES YOU LITTLE FARTBAG AND STOP QUESTIONING ME!!!!!"

Thus, two Starscreams in one scene. Now stop asking questions you little fartbag. ;-)

15. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Mass Shifting FTW!