About the movie toys...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BamBam25, Jun 6, 2007.

1. BamBam25

BamBam25 Well-Known Member

They're cool. Not as complicated as the original toys, but pretty cool nonetheless. I picked up Ironhide and Protoform Optimus last night, only unwrapped Optimus. Do you guys like these ones as much as the orignals, or not as much? I don't think you can compete with the originals, but still pretty damn cool. I'm sure somebody's already posted a thread on this and admin'll close up this one, but I figured what the heck.

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Not as complicated as the originals?

Someone hasn't played with Voyager Ironhide or Leader Prime yet... ^_~

3. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Not as complicated as the originals? Some of the 1984 Transformers were the simplest designs in the history of the line. And what we're seeing in the movie line is quite possibly the most complicated engineering we'll ever see in Transformers thanks to the automorph features. Even then, transformations seem pretty complex and involved.

However, that said, I prefer the modern toys to the older ones. Not because I'm a hater of the old. I was there. My first Transformers was a pre-rub-sign, pre-show Sunstreaker. As much as I still love him, and the sixty plus other G1 toys I bought back in the day, I'm a fan of awesome engineering and there's just a lot more going on engineering wise in the newer toys. Technology and progress have been good friends to the Transformers, and these movie toys are the epitome of that from what I've seen thus far.

I probably won't buy a lot of them because I have other monetary obligations this year, but I dig the movie line toys quite a bit.

4. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    You just can't compete against Twin Twist.

5. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I think any one of them is more complicated than the originals, hell Swindle is more complicated than the G1 toys

6. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Swindle is already more complicated than Cybertron Hot Shot.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Not as complicated as the original toys?
    Voyager Starscream would like a word with you.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    open ironhide. then see how "complicated" stuff gets. :p 

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I've only transformers VOyager Optimus, and as I was transforming him I said to myself, "Man, I wish this guy was has simple as G1 Prime".

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Of the few I have, only Ironhide is really complex, and that's because some things have to be at certain angles to fit right. Starscream isn't that complex, heck even Leader Prime is pretty straight forward. I have more trouble with my Alts then these guys. But then again, I only have five so maybe I just haven't seen the most complex ones yet.

Having said that, the original stuff is some of the simplest designs ever. They're still awesome though.

11. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Broadside wuz teh must complek TF evar!

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Movie toys > G1 toys.

I mean, there's 4 steps to transforming G1 Prime, and like 20 steps to Leader Prime. Movie toys are more accurate and poseable, plus, they're porportionate.

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I like both for different reasons...I like G1 because I loved 'em as a kid...but honestly the new stuff is way better than most of the originals. More durable for one thing...complexity and engineering is an apples to oranges type of thing. I appreciate it, but I'm sure there's some collectors who favor Minibots and Spychangers to the Movie stuff.

14. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

the movie line definitely has the most complicated deluxes ever, and the ss and ironhide voyagers are awesomely complicated.

i think a big reason we are seeing better engineering is the fact that the movie line doesnt have any gimmicks like minicons or cyber keys. paying that extra dollar for automorph gears instead of an oz. of molded plastic necessary for transformation.

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it's unfair to compare any present Transformer (of the same size/class) with one created over 23 years ago. However, that said, I do believe the Movie TFs have a good deal of complexity. Maybe that's why I like FABs so much. :D  They give me a good change of pace, and remind me more of G1.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's no real comparison, given the 2-decades-plus of engineering evolution between the lines. ;) 

G1 toys were very cool for their time, and movie toys are very cool for our time.

Worth noting that there's likely a difference in perception between those of us who have been into the toylines for the last several years-to-decades, compared to those who are going from G1 straight to the present line. Not for positive or negative, just a difference.

17. BamBam25

BamBam25 Well-Known Member

Hahaha, I am having a hard time with Ironhide. I just opened that one a few minutes ago and I'm still fighting with it...