about the great upgrade ...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by grunge, Jul 30, 2011.

1. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    okay so, basically both sides aggreed to become micromasters, basically, to conserve on energon. sounds good. now here's what's bothering me:

#1- there was no hassle? i mean the 'cons didnt try and take advantage of the complete autobot army becoming micromasters? i mean size alone would have given them advantage.

#2- where did this leave head/power/targetmasters? the target masters being as large as their partner now wouldnt work, unless they too become tiny. unless we go by jp continuity, the headmasters and power masters would too have to be shrunk down, to link to partners.

#3- did they manage to get ALL cybertronians home for this?

unless im missing something here, then please tell me or discuss.

2. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I don't know enough about Micromasters, I just know I prefer the "Great Reformatting".

3. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

There's nothing canon really delving into the change to Maximals/Predacons of the Protoform variety. Except maybe the Botcon comics with the Wreckers. It goes over Arcee, Springer, and Hot Rod going for the upgrade. But all we see is Rodimus being a little smaller and having all his "stickers" applied, and Arcee gets a TM2 body the size of regular maximals, which I don't get but hey. I don't think Hasbro really cared to explain this. Maybe the IDW BW comics say something, I wouldn't know.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

It's implied the Autobots won the Great War, so they might have forced the Decepticons to become smaller first before undergoing the transformation into Maximals themselves. That would neutralize the chance the Decepticons could take advantage of smaller Autobots.

At the start, Beast Wars WASN'T supposed to be a continuation of G1 in the far future before getting thrown back in time. And none of the head/power/targetmasters appear in Beast Wars at all. I think it's also implied that Beast Wars takes place hundreds of years after the point the Great War ended, so following non-Japanese continuty of the *masters where all the small dudes were human, it's safe to assume they all died before Megatron stole the Darksyde.

They did not. Several stories involve Autobots having gone off on really, really long exploration voyages (like what they do with the planetary ships at the end of Cybertron, or how to explain Botanica just showing up out of nowhere) and they return after the events of Beast Wars/Machines, still with vehicle alt. modes. Example: Abduction - Transformers Wiki

5. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

as far as I remember reading somewhere...
    they were in pax cybertronia, no war there
    the great upgrade changed their big robotic bodies to smaller bodies that used less energy and were more resistant, also their bodies were designed with bio-tech, then we have the stasis pods and CR chambers
    as Autobots won the war, Decepticon prisoners were forced (if they weren't voluntary) to upgrade too
    well, I may be inventing something, but I remember reading something like that somewhere... and I'm sure it wasn't a fanfic! :p 

6. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Size is not always asn advsantage.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the upgrade must have happened at least 50 to 100 years after the end of the G1 toon.

Seems to me most of the head/target/power masters would have died by then.

7. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Kinda feel bad for Ravage. He was already pretty small to begin with, and then he was forced to become even smaller.

8. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    target masters, power masters, and head masters were fucked either way...their partners are ORGANIC beings that have a finite life span...once that partner died...SOL.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The 'Cons were no longer a military force by that point. They had no choice either way. The great upgrade wasn't done for fun. That's why Megatron is a renegade. There is no war, no direct conflict, only cloak-and-dagger politics.

Since the war was over they either returned to their home planets or integrated in with society.

In BW Megatron once referenced the Autobots in present tense. In BM there were transformer bodies that were noticably large compared to the Maximals. It's entirely possible there were some that chose not to.

Also this is under the assumption the great upgrade was one event. It could've spanned a period of time where all the inhabitants would have had a chance.

10. victoryconvoy

victoryconvoy Well-Known Member

wow some one needs to fill me in on this

11. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Watch Beast Wars?

12. victoryconvoy

victoryconvoy Well-Known Member

never have maybee i should

13. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

And Headmasters Scorponok is the BW Scorponok?

14. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Dude.. What do you think?

15. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    no i dont think bw scorponok is same character as no way would it be second to as im sure G1 would say, "some second rate predacon megatron wannabe."

while i was at work and trying to ignore the ignorant customers .... ignorance ...

i was thing, perhaps, micromaster tech and pretender tech is what led to maximal/predacon tech.
    true not during war time, but even still, im sure there were some renagade commando units trying to keep the "glory of the decepticons" running.

didnt i read that razorclaw formed the predacon faction? i would think this would make sence. seems they really skimmed over something semi important. not big deal but ... but not every story has to be action heavy, sometimes its enjoyable if it makes you think and wonder too.