About The Drift Character

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Optimus Convoy, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Optimus Convoy

Optimus Convoy Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is posted before. I haven't gotten to read the Hail Megatron comics. From what I hear about Drift. Chris Ryall has stated that he wants Drift to become their Wolverine. And they're trying to shove him down fan's throats. I think the real Autobot who is the "Wolverine" of the Autobots is a toss up between Hot Rod and Grimlock. I wanna read people's opinions on Drift. What is your opinion on him? Is he cool or does he suck as a character? If this has been discussed before on here. I would like to get the link and read about your opinions on him.

2. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    imo he just kinda comes off as a character thats trying to trick all the boxes.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Drift is a Cybertronian weeaboo.

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Imo, the harder you try to make something cool, the harder people rage against it for being stupid. Drift could have been cool if they weren't forcing him to be such a gary-stu character. He's got a cool design, an interesting character and a unique weapon set up. But they're trying so hard to make him cool, he just becomes lame. Wolverine wasn't made cool, he just grew that way due to interesting stories and characterization. It took him years to be the big name character he is today, he wasn't just "drawn" that way. Drift would have to go through the same thing if they wanted him to get big.

I agree that there are already tons of characters they could put their focus into, Grimlock and Hotrod are two great examples. They can both be the "cool" characters in the IDW-verse, and they're both well established and well known already.

5. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Dorifuto!

6. teruo kaiba

teruo kaiba Made In Japan

Personally I like the design of Drift and his background is fine with me. The only problem I have is how he was being force down our throat as this super bad ass character. Similarily, I've hated how Jazz was being forced as mr tough guy too.

7. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

eh i'm not a huge fan, i don't hate him. funny scene **spoilers** toward the end of AHM was

thundercracker slapping his hand away, saying he wasn't a traitor like drift. i just think the character needs less cyber ninja cool and more time to be a background character with a line or two here and there.

8. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

best case scenario i could actually see him becoming a sort of transformers character counterpart to future trunks character from dragonball z

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    best case scenario is if they reprint all the comics that featured him, but have him edited out, and send them to everyone who bought the originals.

and then turn IDW's main page into a massive apology.

10. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ummm...why should IDW apologize for making a new character for the G1 universe kind of likable? Haven't had that happen too often.
    Sure, they are pretty much forcing him in the comics, but you could say that for almost any of the Spotlight characters (Cliffjumper seems a bit 'cliche' too as the little tough guy).
    Drift is almost Snake Eyes in the AHM series. No one really knows where he is all the time, but you know he'll be doing something cool. The scene with the Swarm and Perceptor was a really well done one, and one of my favorites in the series.
    Honestly, I like him. They just need to pull back a bit and let the spotlight linger on other characters. Basically, don't make a new character old right away.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    he's not likable. he's a child's fan character. he belongs on fanfiction.net, not in an official transformers comic.

look into what a "mary sue" is. it defines drift.

he's not a good character at all.

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Haven't gotten to reading the All Hail Megatron comics, so I don't know who this Drift guy is.

13. B-Fox

B-Fox Mahoro de MAMBO!

News Credits:
    Drift would be so much better if he was a tongue-in-cheek sort of jab at Americans who watch too much anime and sprinkle their speech with Japanese words like "kawaii" and honorifics. At the moment, he's just an Autobot ninja with a DEEP backstory about being an ex-Decepticon. He's like Dinobot, only without the character flaws and an established personality besides SILENT AND DEADLY. (Drift is a fart?)

He'd be even better if he was a background/grunt type of character like what Sideswipe and Sunstreaker are SUPPOSED to be, not spotlight hogging Fan-girl bait. "OMG! THEY ARE TWINS!!!!!" Maybe then folks would build him up as some "classic" and "important" character or at least treat him like he was just one of the guys.

I'm sorry, but to me, Sideswipe's Crowning Moment of Awesome was, and always will be saying "Uh...sure!" like a little bitch when Optimus demanded he give him his jet pack.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I like when he broke rocks to get around a random collection of people.

15. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

I don't know a whole lot about Drift, but he sounds terrible.

What I do know is that if this supposed Drift toy IDW has been talking about so much actually comes out, it should not say "Drift" on the package blister. it should say "The Drift Character"

16. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I've never understood why, at this point in Transformers history, anyone would need to create a new character for the G1 universe. When you think of all the toys out there who never got any appearences in anything, and maybe a couple of lines of bio if they were lucky, why add to that? Pretty much anything you could possibly need a character to be is out there unused somewhere. Why not Kick-Off in place of Drift? He's got a backstory that would cause other Autobots to resent him (fighting/killing other Autobots in Decepticon arenas) and he's supposed to be a badass.

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fanboyz-tastic. Took me back to the bad old days of Dreamwave.

18. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    He's every terrible fan-character rolled into one. :p 

19. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Sadly, I found his old boss, Turmoil, to be far more intriguing visually and more engaging as a character. I wanted to know a lot more about him instead of Drift.

- Coeloptera

20. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    he's an ex decepticon as well... wow ok they really did just tick every box when it came to cliché's