About the Decepticons appearance...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by AllSpark Shard, Aug 7, 2011.

1. AllSpark Shard

AllSpark Shard Squirrel-flattener

Yes, well, as everybody knows, Decepticons are like monsters in the universe of the films. Almost all of them have fangs, multiple eyes, tusks, pincers, claws, and even make growls, and roar and the like. There are a few ones that are a bit more humanoid, like Starscream, but even he has fangs and digitigrad legs, etc.

Of course this is just a visual device meant to make it easier to know who are the bad guys, and to have an impact on the audience, but, storywise, could there be a reason for it?

I mean, the Autobots are all cuddly and neat, they look like good boys and all are very humanoid, no fangs, no claws, etc. That helps identify them as the good guys.

But as I said, could there be an explanation? Maybe its because the Decepticons are corrupted and twisted images of an otherwise pure, divine power, the power of the Allspark? Maybe its because once they become evil, their spark inside them becomes corrupt and their exterior reflects the evil inside?

Yeah, yeah, I know its just a design thing...but well, we can think of a silly theory or something to explain it xD

2. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I chalk it up to personal preference. The Decepticon protoforms don't look too different from Autobot protoforms. There are humanoid Decepticons, too, like Megatron and Shockwave, and there are odd-looking Autobots like the Twins. Perhaps the Decepticons enjoy altering their bodies to be more insectlike whereas the Autobots enjoy humanoid shapes, but everyone picks for himself. Kind of like how samurai and knights are all humans, but some choose to look one way instead of the other.

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

^There's this.
    But I also think the 'Cons might use biology-engineering to create monsters.

4. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    I blame it on the designers and the rules of visual storytelling - where bad guys are almost always hideous to enable audiences to better differentiate them.

However, in DOTM especially, I feel they went a step too far. The robots, e.g. the Dreads, and the spaceships, look too 'organic'. They've become like biological lifeforms, and not robotic Transformers.

The Decepticon designs in the first 2 movies were great - Brawl, Blackout, Bonecrusher, Barricade, Rampage, Long Haul, Scrapper, Mixmaster, etc - all conveyed a sense of evil while still retaining a very robotic feel.

But, then came the Dreads, which I feel belongs more to an Alien vs Predator movie than it does in Transformers.

5. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

The Cons have Spikes of Villainy not only on their bodies but their ships as well to tell they are evil.

In universe the Decepticons are fashioning themselves after the Fallen. Notice their helmets and head resembling the Decepticon symbol.

In universe also Decepticons are engineered or upgraded as weapons themselves. Which is why they tend to be bigger than the average Autobot.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    As said, I think it's personal preference. The Decepticons like striking fear into the hearts of their enemies, so they choose monsterous forms. On the flip side are the Autobots, which have less-spikey, more relatable forms. You also have the in-betweens, like Megatron, who aside from some spikey-ness and teeth is very humanoid, or Dino who looks more frightening than your average Autobot for probably similar reasons as above.

7. bonycrushy345

bonycrushy345 Well-Known Member

i think its a way to mark themselves decepticon, to make themselves fit in more in their tribe. like piercings, fangs, nose rings, spikes etc to strike fear into their enemies.

well, technically they were never fully mechanical. for example the way thier face moves when their talking, "the metal" shows some flexibility. Or the fluids and green stuff you see when bumblebee rips off ravages spine in rotf. another example are the ways protoforms are made in rotf, and lennox (in tf1 while inspecting scorpinoxs tail) says thier armor can regenerate. if it was fully metal than it shouldnt be able to do that.

8. AllSpark Shard

Technically anyway, they are not robots either xD

Theyre mechanical lifeforms...robots arent alive

Its just a different form of life...not all of it has to be made out of flesh and the like

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

From an evolutionary stand point it just doesn't work at all. The reason humans have been able to advance so rapidly is that we have the advantage of a fairly standardized form. Some people are taller and some people are shorter but for the most part something you design for one human can be used by another human.

Just imagine how chaotic our technology would have to be if humans had a random number of fingers or eyes. How complicated it would be to secure astronauts for a launch if some people had regular legs, some had one wheel for legs, and some had legs that bent in a different way. Even pubic spaces would be a problem if some humans were a foot tall while other humans were 20 feet tall.

One of those cases in the films where realism was thrown out the window in favor of short cuts for who is the bad guys and who is the good guys since the story wasn't going to cover the good guy bad guy aspect.

10. bonycrushy345

bonycrushy345 Well-Known Member

dude, i hope you meant public xD

11. Overlord Balder

If they can alter their shapes at their will, that's not really a problem [i.e "Astronauts" would have normal legs].

Hell, I think that HELPS the race more than anything: guys like Devastator and Driller would be excellent for mining, Demolishor-esque TFs would help to build structures [and destroy them, if they need to do so], Ravage-TFs could be used to carry massive objects, even Laserbeak-esque tfs would be great as a long-range "camera" to track missing individuals or missing objects.

12. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Some things to think about:
    Do TFs "wear" armor? How much of what we see is their 'natural' self? In TF1, the Autobots appear to bulk up once they gain alt modes, implying they "wear" automobile parts. Can the alt mode physically affect a TF? Did Demolishor always run on wheels, or is his true form much smaller and the wheels something like an exosuit created just to be able to properly transform, or perhaps did he re-engineer his form to make it work?
    With so many copies running about, perhaps the Decepticons manufacture their troops as oppose to simply recruit stray Cybertronians.
    Maybe the Cons go through ritualistic body modifications as a rite of acceptance. With the Con/Bot war going on so long, I'd imagine both sides would have different cultures.

13. changepas39

changepas39 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This!

14. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Most Decepticons are descendants of the Liege Maximo, who probably looked very similar to how they do.

15. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    All of what you say I don't disagree with you at all. The only issue in the movie is that they need to always change things up a bit, to keep things fresh.

The Dreads did look very organic, but so was Alice, in one way or another.
    The movieverse must be very diverse, so the movie designs can't be limited to one style.

All the characters you listed as appealing designs are right on the money. Some twists or modifcations can be very difficult to accept at first, but after a while It feels ok.

16. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Part of me wishes they gave Jetfire a more Decepticon-esque look. His robot mode was far more Autobot looking than Decepticon. His hands were more humanoid and not claws. His face was even humanoid by sporting a metal-plated beard.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I blame the Fact Bay didn't give a damn on how ugly the Decepticons would turn out.

18. AllSpark Shard

Jetfire turned out to be so humanoid looking because he must have been designed keeping in mind that he would change sides...hence the good-guy look.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It seems like there are limits on how much they can change. They have to find a vehicle that fits their mass so Starscream couldn't scan and become a motorcycle. We've seen the weapon hand bit, but not drastic changes to their robot mode so it seems unlikely that Prime could just sprout an extra set of arms or a pair of eyes on the back of his head.

20. Overlord Balder

There's a limit to what they can do spontaneously, more drastic changes are likely executed with someone's help.

So I say it's less of "randomly sprout arms out of his back and some eyes" , but [with the help of an engineer] alter his physical structure as a whole to accomodate an extra set of eyes and arms.