About MP Megatron...(buy or not to buy...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DarkEyes, May 2, 2009.

1. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi guys!

I was just wondering in to buy a MP Megs, found someone in 100, but Im not sure because I read several things that dont like me pretty much, like a problem about rust??? how "##$%& a MP is getting rust???? :crazy: 

Well but you know....he is Megatron anyway and I think is an important figure in a collection, so what do you think???

Thanks!!!!
    PS: My second option is a BANDAI SOC GX-01R Mazinger Z. :p 

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Since I have no idea what the fuck the second option is, I'd go with Megs.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See, the thing about MP Megatron is he's not a toy. You can't just pick him up and play with him, he's a display piece. If you like to play with your toys then don't get him.

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I'd say get him, he's definitely really cool. And the transformation isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be, it's more like an extreme pain in the ass :lol 

5. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    pain in the ass is the nice way of putting it.

its cool for a display but don't play with it too often as its one of those toys that will break

6. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And what about this rust problem...is that true? men...how do you stop that??

By the way, this is a BANDAI SOC GX-01R Mazinger Z:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on which one you really want more, and whether you plan to play or display.

MP Megatron is the closest we'll get to a show-accurate G1 Megatron toy. But the reviews of its sturdiness when transforming are mixed. I have him, and I have not yet even tried transforming him because I'm terrified of accidentally breaking him in half. Megatron also does not include the pistol stock and silencer - those you will need to buy from third-party manufacturers.

If the Mazinger you're targeting has all the accessories/weapons that are canonically included with Mazinger and the toy has been put together better, then maybe you should get that. Bandai's recent Chogokin releases have had QC issues, but since Mazinger came at the start of the line, their quality control may be better.

Best to google and see what else you can find.

8. StephX77

StephX77 Well-Known Member

Man I Love Tranzor Z. That cartoon was the best back in the day

9. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Indeed, and I'm loving that Mazinger Z fig!:thumbs2: 

10. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

MP Megatron is awesome. Get it if you want a great display piece... and if you can find the extra accessories to add the extra pieces for the rifle, it's even better. :D 

11. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

That's not true. If you are careful and know how to transform him well. You can play with him all you want. I transform mine, and put him into multiple poses all the time. You just can't be as rough with him as your average TF because he is very intricately detailed.

12. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

Seeing as nobody else has addressed the rust problem for you, I will... although, I may not be the best, seeing as mine has no rust issues (yet).

The rust you hear about isn't really a rust, more of just a tarnishing of the metal feet. If I'm not mistaken, it can be buffed out and prevented with a coat of futures floor finish. I believe that's what a lot of people have used on their MP Megatrons.

Although, if I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will correct me. (Seems you never have to worry about not being corrected on the internet).

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Not true.

:p 

As I have no interest in the other figure I'd say Megatron. But then that's me.

14. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I would skip MP Megatron he's a big mess that toy.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I bought MP Megs as soon as he was released. Mine still has no rust and no breaks.
    Treat him in a manner that befits a $100+ figure, and don't rush when you transform him, and he isn't anywhere NEAR as likely to break as some people would have you believe.

16. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    My MP Megatron came last week. I love him. He is a complete bitch to transform the first time -- after you've done it once though, it's fine. I am told that rusting is a problem, but I imagine that he'll be fine so long as you keep an eye on him. He is an amazing thing, just not to everyone's tastes.

17. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I have both.

I paid $40 for my Mazinger when it first came out. I don't know what hes going for now. Some parts are a little loose(fitting) on Mazinger but its still about the best version of Mazinger out there. Lots of die-cast content.

MP Megs is a lot bigger than Mazinger right off the bat. I've never personally had the rust problem others have had but it is a complex transformation if that's an issue for you.

Bandai basically makes a new SOC Mazinger of some sort every couple of years or so. MP Megs might disappear soon so if you have to choose buy MP Megs.

18. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I can't comment on weighing up between Megs and Mazinger (not got a clue outside of TFs), but I can say that MP Megatron is a great display piece.

He is fiddly to transform, but as others have said, he's nowhere near as fragile as scaremongers would have you believe. I'd put off getting him specifically because of the worries about fragility. Since I got him, I'm actually kinda peeved that I waited - aside from a lot of frustration during the first transformation (I got annoyed and gave up at one point), I think he's great.

I've transformed him a few times, now, partly because he looks great in both modes, partly because I like waving an oversized P38 around for the few minutes before I put him back in 'bot mode, but mainly just because I really like the complexity of the transformation. As fussy as some parts of it are, it's quite a feat of engineering, which I can't help but appreciate.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  19. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that's not really playing with him and by the sounds of it you got off lucky many other MP Megs didn't have such good QC. For instance on mine the shoulders just do not ever want to unlock and the scews holding the arms in are tiny so I have to act like I'm trying to crack a safe to transform this guy and IMO thats not playing.

As for the rust some say its down to moisture in the room but i dunno that does not seem right to me