? about Classics/Universe timeline.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Backscatter, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When Classics first showed up I thought the TFs were 'mostly' post-86 Movie in the G1 timeline. Now with Univesre, those that were confirmed dead/destroyed in the 86 Movie are appearing like Prowl and Ironhide.

Are Classics/Universe in the G1 timeline or are they in another alternate universe like the BT/ALTs?

One final question, is Classics Megatron and Universe Galvatron one and the same or is there some kind of "Target 2006" scenario going on?

Thoughts? Thanks for reading.:wink: 

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I beleive classics is set in the Marvel Comics universe.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    there is no official fiction, so no timeline.

galvatrons profile doesnt say for certain if he's megatron or a new character. it just says he showed up to lead the scattered decepticons. could go either way, since thats essentially how he arrived in the original movie.

4. Backscatter

News Credits:
    Why I asked for thoughts. Thanks. :cool:  Oh btw there is a liitle Club/Botcon fiction about the Classics.

5. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say its more like the IDW timeline. Makes me feel better :p 
    Plus Sunstreaker and Prowl's vehicle forms where based on the IDW designs and Stormbringer Jetfire and Classics Jetfire are exactly the same :) 

6. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Honest/Real Answer: The Classics/Universe line is a commemorative-ish toyline intended to celebrate all flavors and generations of Transformers (witness the upcoming CHEETOR toy, you ain't shoe-horning him into G1 anywhere) Fiction is, more or less as always, a highly secondary concern.

Fun Answer: The collector's club has been developing some kind of storyline/setting for this line, one of their better efforts, but still not all that compelling IMO. My best suggestion is that you just consider these figures as "upgrades" of the figures in your existing collections.

I did this for years during the Joe-relaunch, I had my little Cobra Army, and its ranks remained consistent, but I kept swapping in new molds and retiring old ones as Hasbro brought out more personally satisfying versions of the characters.

I'm kinda doing the same thing with Classics. I have long since parted with all my G1 stuff (well mostly), and my shelf is now filled with modern line (Classics, Universe, and A/E/C homage'y mods) figures standing in for their G1 counterparts. With a few BW characters and whoever hanging around here and there.

D/L

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Which is smashed in with all their other stuff, to create the ultimate in terrible crossover fanfiction.

8. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    um, have you seen Beast Wars??? :D 

Now, Hot Shot, you can't (and don't want too) Show him into G1 :p 
    jaAm!

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Classics does have a bit of a story line, thus has a timeline, but Universe doesn't have any story tied into it (yet anyways), so thus doesn't have any timeline. Universe is basically a line that continues classic-styled toys, homages several lines at the same time, and has some realism put in. Closest thing to a story it has so far are the bio's on the cards and boxes of the products.

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, and as of late the 'uber-crossover' is getting a little tired...

On that note, the idea around the Classics-verse comic was pretty good to begin with. That being, it was supposed to follow the final issue of the G1 Marvel comics a couple of years down the road and be an alternative to the G2 comics (meaning that instead of G2 happening the stories from the Classics-verse would have). However, they were so preoccupied with telling the story of three rather annoying dimensionally displaced idiots that any really good story telling was left by the wayside when they jumped into another dimension. Seriously, WTF?

11. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I honestly like it the way it is since there is no constriction. I personally tend to view Galvatron as IDW does and thus is seperate from Megatron. It is actually entirely up to you however. I have Galvatron with three Titanium Scourges (sweeps) and am just waiting for Cyclonus which I will then make as a seperate faction for the Decepticons. I was thinking about adding Nemesis Prime to that faction as well.

12. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That hadn't crossed my mind :lol 

Wouldn't it be great if Universe "Armada Series" Hot Shot had his Bio written in the "Yum JaAaM" way

13. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The "Official Club" "official fiction" puts the Classicsverse 15 years or so into the Marvel G1 future. With the exception of the ongoing attempt at timeline crossover fiction, I like the idea. However, it needs more breathing room. They try put 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag. I'd LOVE to see regular comics that take place in that universe with the space to tell better stories. Without the stupid Axiom Nexus crap. I really really really can't stress how much I want the Transtech story to be OVER and NEVER SEEN AGAIN!

Also, SDCC's Nemesis Prime mentions Straxus in his profile, and Galvatron could easily be the Galvatron that was chucked into the ice by Fort Max. (Has anyone really noticed that Galvatron met his end in the same place in both the comics and in the Japanese Headmasters cartoon?)

14. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ditto. I really hope that once we get the final combiner piece that the whole Axiom Nexus/Dimension Jumping/Transtech nonsense is dropped all together and never brought back up. The Cybertron story was interesting and Classics had a good start, but (as you said) to much crammed into to little. The story really needed it's breathing room and while they've been attempting to do this with the current Transtech Universe (through the use of publishing other stories online at the official club website -where the hell is 'I Lowtech' btw?-) I find that nothing can make me enjoy the Transtech Universe (and not because they "ruined" Transtech either) as all the characters are loaded with ego and basically all have the same boring personality flaw (to some extent or another) while being the Perfect Cybertronian existence... yeah whatever... if anything I've enjoyed reading the fiction just to see the 'lesser beings' get the jump on the freakin' Transtech...

15. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I really like to new Sunstreaker mold. It's the only new universe figure I've wanted to buy yet. Will definitely buy Sideswipe when he's released as well. I bought my 10 yr old Tankor(Octane to me) and he is way too complicated for him. Not a big fan of the series so far...

16. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Not trying to start a long big debate -but IMO and backed up by a ton of G1 stuff - Megatron and Galvatron are basically the same individual with a new body.

Kind of like if you were in a horrible accident and your life was saved but you underwent massive plastic surgery to the point that you look like a new person....but I am sure someone will attack this comment so whatever you want him to be I guess

17. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

As with so much in Transformers, it depends what you're taking as your personal canon. The cartoon unequivocally has Megatron becoming Galvatron. In the comics, things get a little confusing. The toy bio for the new Galvy doesn't really comment either way, and the G1 Galvy bio doesn't even have him as Decepticon leader. So pick whatever version of the character works for you.

As long as he's batshit insane.

18. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Marvel US G1 comics Galvatron wasn't insane until after the Ark crashed and he was covered in Nucleon. Before that he was just scheming and plotting.

Chris

19. Backscatter

News Credits:
    Yes, I thought it was cool that Marvel reflected Headmasters. Or was it the other way around? :lol 

Wonderful insights/ideas in this thread. Thanks all. Chris I don't remember Galvatron being covered by Nucleon in the Marvel G1 Comics. I just thought he was frustrated and mad by being in the crash and by being attacked by Fort Max.:confused: 

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  20. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

This.