about Botcon toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by glancer, Oct 9, 2008.

1. glancer

glancer Dinobot

Ebay is where I hunt toys from past lines and when I come over some of the Botcon exclusive toys I found that somehow their price vary, well, quite a lot. I know that price fluctuation is normal on Ebay, but my question is: when these exclusive toys were sold at Botcon, did they have a price for them? how much would that be? depend on their assortment such as deluxe, voyager? or depend on each character?

2. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Botcon toys are sold in sets so the prices dont break down like that

3. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    The boxsets you have to pay for, but some come with a touristy type package you can order (the pre booking figures) - for example bc2007 Mirage and Wierdwolf, and as such it is difficult to determine their precise price.

As for resale, are a number of determinant factors. For example, BC07 Thrust will generally go for more than the rest of the set, which can be put down to the relatively extensive remolding.

Then theres the example of OFTCC 2003 Sunstreaker (not BotCon but similar) who goes for far more than Sideswipe (both the same mold and from the same convention) because there weren't as many 'Streakers produced.

So popularity of character, remolding, and exclusivity play some part.

4. glancer

glancer Dinobot

so how much would the box set be?
    and those plastic-bag-packed ones, don't they just come at the con? so actually people have to book these kinds?

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, at the convention the boxset is the cost of getting in if you choose the Primus package (it's included in the package) so... I think if memory serves it's about $300 (not sure on the exact as, being a club member, I get a discount).

As for the after market prices... it depends on what year as some of the sets are more sought after by collector's then others. I'd say the one with the biggest going price is probably the 07 Botcon set largely because that's where the last three Classics Seekers were placed. I've seen a set go for close to three times it's convention price a couple of times and I'm pretty sure that this set is the only one that has done so, but I could be wrong.

As for the plastic bagged figures... they're only available at the convention and you don't actually preorder these or anything. Though, Primus package holders get first dibs on them and you have to wait in a line to purchase them. There's usually a small set (which is either two scouts or a scout and a deluxe sold together) and a large set (which has ranged pretty wildly over the last couple of years as 05's was a deluxe & scout, 06's was an ultra & scout, 07's was a voyager & deluxe and 08's was an ultra & deluxe). The convention price for these vary from year to year, but the small sets usually go for around $65 at the convention and the larger sets I believe have ranged from $80 to $100 (not sure on the prices of the larger sets as they tend to vary a great deal as I said). These tend to go for a much larger mark up on eBay as they're only available at the convention... the one with the highest mark ups seem to be Botcon 05 Ratchet & Botcon 06 Megatron (both of whom usually resell on eBay for around $450 to $500). The others vary in desire by the fandom usually. Though, recently having sold a bunch of my bagged exclusives I can give you some rough estimates:

• Botcon 05 Flare Up (scout class Energon Arcee remold): $65
    • Botcon 06 Megatron (ultra class Cybertron CD Red Alert remold): $450
    • Botcon 06 Laserbeak & Buzzsaw (scout class Energon Divebomb repaints): $224 -sold together-
    • Botcon 07 Huffer (scout class Cybertron Armorhide repaint): $45
    • Botcon 08 Megatron (ultra class Energon Megatron remold): $110

That's just what mine sold for though and they could fluctuate more or less.

Also, there's the freebie that only the Primus Package holders get which varies a great deal in price when put on eBay... also depends a lot on who the character is too.

6. TM2 D-bot

TM2 D-bot Forsight Into the Future Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Botcon set prices (Primus package for example), can still be seen at their website.

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Since 2005:

The botcon boxsets typically run from $250 - $300 bucks for club members.

The bagged version of the sets typically run from $150 - $200 for club members.

The convention exclusives typically range from $50 to $100

The bonus free figure is typically free ;) 

As for aftermarket pricing some go for drastically more (Botcon 2007 set comes to mind) , others for less than the original Botcon price.

8. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Botcon SG Megatron is an ultra? I thought it was the voyager version the that mold.

9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lot of debate over that and having owned all three different versions of that mold I'd say he's closer to an Ultra than a Voyager. The US release of the mold was a Leader. But, yeah, there's been a lot of debate about it even on these boards and for a long time I even thought he was a Voyager, but I started comparing the mold between various other Energon figures and the mold is definitely an Ultra.

10. glancer

glancer Dinobot

does this mean that i have to be a Transformersclub.com member to attend the convention?
    if not, does this mean that at the convention non-member pays more to get those figures?

thanks.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    You don't have to be a club member to go to Botcon, no; however, club members pay (I think) $50 less for Botcon than non-members.