about beast machines transformers and its possible themes

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GENOZAUR, Jan 24, 2011.

1. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

is it just me or could a fan look at beast machines era vehicon controlled cybertron as being in its way a kind of cybertronian holocaust when it comes to the whole matter of genocide?

for fiction in its way having a ability to all too closely mirror factual reality at times this is definately new dark territory for a transformers series

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Well, if you think of it like that... But I thought is was very dark for a TF series...

3. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

Beast Machines definitely channeled thematic elements from historic parallels such as the holocaust. The piles of lifeless bodies dumped in the many "shell yards" (I.E. the internment camps where Transformers were systematically murdered) were eerily reminiscent of the bodies disposed of in concentration camps during WWII. Worse yet, the bodies were being melted down as raw material for the production of lifeless drones--this was Megatron's twisted idea of rebuilding a new Cybertron from the ashes of the old.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Well it's true that Megatron was in the pursuit of his notion of perfection, and the elimination of all that was 'imperfect', in his view.

Generally though, I'm hesitant to draw any parallels between a cartoon (however dark) and a real-life event as tragic as the holocaust...

5. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

as they say war is hell and thissereis did a hell of a job at eploring that point in its limited way

hell i am still surprised at how much crap got past the censors in this regard

6. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Why?

Cartoons explore these things all the time. Drug use, murder, racism, sex, it's all been done in cartoons all over the world.

Heck, BW explored the concept of euthanasia with the ep "Transmutate", and they did it very clearly and overtly.

I say if the shoe fits...

- Coeloptera

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    As am I.

8. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

I'm having a difficult time understanding why people find it an affront to compare events in a fictional realm to that of our own historical canon. Comparatively, Megatron's genocide of Cybertron was of greater severity when one takes into consideration that billions of sentient lifeforms were slaughtered, not merely thousands. Even greater still is Palpatine's conquest in Star Wars, yet the distinction lies in the fact that it is mere fiction and not reality.

9. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not just you, it was definitely there and there were several parallels as others have mentioned. It was rather dark for a TF series, so that's why a lot of kids were turned off by it, and the next series (RID) was a lot lighter in tone, but then when folks have gotten older and gone back to watch it, they appreciate the story and characters more. But yeah, nothing really new to add. A tyrannical dictator with a view of what he thinks should be the perfect world, who does have a "Final Solution", a small band of individuals who don't fit into that plan being hunted down, it would actually have made good material for a film study class had I caught onto that while I was still in college (that's when the series was airing). And as others have said to the doubters, cartoons have dealt with real issues many times over the years, this is no different.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

11. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

thing is i do not want to talk politics at all

i just want to talk about the dark and darker themes which exist in transformers beast machines itself

12. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

to be honest i think we did a rather good job at avoid the big P matter when it comes to the discussion i started a while back about exodus/ war for cybertron/transformers prime megatron being at his best the sparticus among his fellow cybertronians before the moral decay and corruption got the better of him