Heavy/Scratch: Abominus 2.0

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Altitron, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    This is still a very long way off (and in Alty-time, 'long way off' probably means years :)  ), but after talking with Mech Haven of Sector 70 earlier today I figured I'd share this project with the masses.

This post more or less shows what I have planned for Hun-Grr. I am using an Energon Megatron to start out with. He looks very much like Hun-Grr right off the bat in robot mode. The wings have been removed (which will end up becoming the chest shield to my Devestator some day :)  ), and the nose of the plane will act as the tail. I plan to articulate the tail much like I have done with my Classics Skullcruncher.

Megatron's robot arms become the hind legs in two-headed dragon mode. Another set of beast legs will need to be added to either side of the pelvis.

If you're not familiar with Energon Megatron's transformation, the way it is done gives the robot knee joints very odd articulation, in that they can pivot outward, all the way until the feet touch his shoulders. This feature is the main reason why I have gone with this mold. Also, being that the feet (toe and heel) collapse inwardly and are spring-loaded, they make for a great pair of snapping jaws.

The whole mold folds up well as a gestalt's torso, also. There is plenty of space to attach a much larger head, and the knee pads flip up to reveal a lot of empty space just begging to be outfitted with connection points. I tried to snap a few pictures detailing these areas.

Let me know what you think. :) 

- Alty

Attached Files:

• HG2.jpg
      HG2.jpg
      File size:
      188.6 KB
      Views:
    • HG6.jpg
      HG6.jpg
      File size:
      140 KB
      Views:
    • HG1.jpg
      HG1.jpg
      File size:
      166.3 KB
      Views:
    • HG7.jpg
      HG7.jpg
      File size:
      158.2 KB
      Views:
    • HG3.jpg
      HG3.jpg
      File size:
      251.2 KB
      Views:
    • HG4.jpg
      HG4.jpg
      File size:
      162.4 KB
      Views:
    • HG5.jpg
      HG5.jpg
      File size:
      211.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This looks COOL! Considering the sheer size of this toy Abominus is going to be MASSIVE, I'm guessing the rest of the team will be Large voyagers and Leader class toys?
    I hope you keep posting as you go, this should be an EPIC gesalt!

3. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    WOW... now I cry that I used megatron for galvatron :D 

4. knockoff

knockoff Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very interesting concept. a quick question - how big is the base figure? would classics grimlock's arms be usable for hun grrrs's transforming feet/arm?

5. Altitron

Ebay:
    Grimlock's hind legs /might/ be too big. I was thinking of using an Energon Cruellock/Doomlock or whatever that guy's name is.

- Alty

6. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Is that the Leader figure, or the two pack? Just for an idea of size. Either way, that's a fantastic choice of molds.

7. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Definitely go for it man, it sounds like a really cool idea and how many Abominus customs have we seen?? I think none!

8. QmTablit

I could swear Sculpt-Bot did one sometime last year.

9. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

You should make the second set of legs attach to the top of the shoulders instead so they just fold back in robot mode. Otherwise, they'll be kibble. It's nice to see someone use something different for a combiner. I take that back if Unicron legs and Primus arms appear later.

10. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

This will be cool

11. QmTablit

Looking at this a bit more...

Instead of folding the legs up to attach as you did, can you turn them around at the hip and have the legs pointing downwards so that they'd become Abominus' thighs?

I need the 2-pack version of this figure now, to put yet another combiner on my to-do list.

12. Altitron

Ebay:
    I believe I'm using the two-pack version.

Megatron (2004) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info

He DID, and it was AWESOME.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/234348-classics-abominus.html

You're right, and I probably will end up doing that. There is a lot of empty space in the shoulder now that I have removed the cannons. Actually, I can probably just cannibalize the cannons and build the second set of legs onto them. That way, everything will work as it originally did with the ability for them to swivel back.

And concerning Primus and/or Unicron parts showing up here, I don't plan for it. I always try to have the combiners completely self-contained.

Yeah, and that's probably the better way to go. The dragon heads' mouths will hide the connection points for the leg-bots, that way. There is a lot more poseability with Hun-Grr transformed that way, too.

- Alty