Abbs meant to be G1.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by soundwaverulls, Apr 30, 2011.

1. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Last night I was thinking in bed about DOTM and I suddenly thought could the metal abbs on Optimus Prime meant to look like the grill in G1.

Mabe they were thinking how to make him lok more G1 and they decided that while a grill would look too chunky and truckish so they put silver abbs on him.

Just a thought from a guy who can't figure out how those stupid abbs make OP look more heroic

2. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    then what about bumblebee's new abs?

3. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Those are abbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

4. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    :lol 

5. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    He's been using P90X. Extreme!!

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, I can honestly say that when I lay (the spelling is intentional) awake in my bay, Bumblebee's abbs are probably the last thing on my mind, especially when it comes to such details.

Blackarchnia on the other hand...

... and now being serious for a moment, I honestly think a lot of it has to do with simply wanting to make him different without changing too much (this is even done when characters aren't supposed to look different for a reason), and that inspiration comes from more places than we can plug ourselves into. In an alternate universe, he might've had a real life "rub sign" for all we know.

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I thought it was obvious that the "abs" should be what they where in G1. I mean, Optimus grill in G1 is also supposed to be abs. This is without question.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Don't see it as that myself. G1 grill as abs is more of a suggestion of abs rather than the out and out blatant mechanical muscley abs Bay Prime is sporting. I doubt it has anything to do with trying to look more G1 and is just a result of trying to make Bay Prime look more teh awesome and superheroish.

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I really wouldn't go so far as to say that his new "abs" are more "G1". To me, both the traditional truck-grill-abs and these new more-abby-abs still imply the feeling of abs, without being technically abs. I'm not sitting there thinking "Oh my gosh, Optimus Prime has human abs! I bet he does sit ups, he has to watch what he eats!", etc.. They resemble abs (yes, moreso than his truck-grill-abs), just like his (and other robots) faces resemble human faces, or their hands look like human hands. Some are more alien than others, and some don't have these ab-like structures. His new abs vs. the old grill-abs are just two different interpretations of the same thing: the classic Optimus grill-torso-thing. To me, this was simply a design choice that Bay (or whoever) made to change things up a little bit (sure, make him look more awesome and "heroic"), but still keep the established iconic look. Heck, I'm willing to bet that most audiences won't even notice or care about his new look. They'll just be cheering "YEAH OPTIMUS PRIME! WOO!". :D  But I'll care. And I like them. :) 

And if I may go on a rant...

And as for the "logic" behind these new upgrades and designs? Well, does there really need to be a logic? I doubt there is one story-wise, but you can most certainly come up with reasonable explanations as to why these characters have slightly new looks. (Besides the obvious Hasbro reason TO SELL MORE TOYS). New looks, new designs, keeps things fresh and new, while still maintaining their previous design. These are highly advanced, autonomous alien robotic organisms that are sort of a combination of machinery and organic beings. They "breathe", they have fluids, they can "evolve" over time, just like other creatures. The difference between designs like The Fallen and Optimus. Do you think Optimus was just born looking that way? Was he unpacked from his box while Daddy Prime and Mommy Prime attached the rivets and ball-and-socket joints? Optimus Prime looks different than Orion Pax, and Orion Pax looks different than he was when he was first brought online. That's the biological standpoint of mine. And then one has to consider the less biological view too: Are you wearing the exact same clothes right now as you were last week? Last year? Five years ago? Is your hair styled the exact same? Are you taller than you were 10 years ago? Fatter? Skinnier? More muscular? I bet that you look at least slightly different now then when you first saw Transformers however long ago. We change. Sideswipe's now a convertible with a spoiler. The equivalent of losing a few pounds and getting a tatoo. Ratchet's got a new paint job = he's wearing a completely different set of clothes. Optimus' abs? He's physically maturing. These characters grow and change the same way that humans do. Heck, I'm sure Sam's gotten some more muscle since his grade 11 presentation on his great-great-grandfather. Why can't Prime? Okay. I'm done. :drunk 

10. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    this X1000

11. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    Thanks. :thumbs2: 

And seriously, einis, don't ever change your signature. Or I will cry. You don't want that on your conscience, do you?

12. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    This x1034893294

13. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

cry like in your own signature?

14. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    ...Yes. *forever alone face*

15. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    I'm waiting for inevitable "the situation" jokes

16. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Brilliantly stated!:thumbs2: :bay 

17. RW8U

RW8U CRUSADERCON!

This is The Situation here. My abs are so ripped up it's..we call it the Situation.

18. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

I have always seen it as a "g1 grill chest" and never "abs". Abs just sound way too cheesy.